Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Frankly, my dear,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankly, my dear,

I can't believe how stupid the world has become.

https://etcanada.com/news/250988/mem...sitive-racist/

Tearing down Confederate monuments continues to be a hot-button issue in the American South, and the controversy has apparently spilled over from statues to films set in the era of the Civil War.

This, in fact, is what led the Orpheum Theater in Memphis, Tennessee, to axe the 1940 Oscar-winner “Gone With the Wind” from next year’s summer schedule following a screening on Aug. 11, after which the theatre received “numerous comments” from the public, reports Entertainment Weekly.

After meeting to discuss the issue, the theatre’s board agreed that showing the film classic starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, which depicts the Civil War from a Confederate perspective, would be “insensitive” given the current political climate.

“While title selections for the series are typically made in the spring of each year, the Orpheum has made this determination early in response to specific inquiries from patrons,” read a statement from The Orpheum Theatre Group. “The Orpheum appreciates feedback on its programming from all members of the mid-south community. The recent screening of ‘Gone With the Wind’ at the Orpheum on Friday, August 11, 2017, generated numerous comments. The Orpheum carefully reviewed all of them.”

According to EW, the theatre’s Facebook page was deluged with comments about the film, with one commenter calling the film “racist” while another added, “slowly but surely, we will rid this community of all tributes to white supremacy.”

I want to throw up now.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I can't believe how stupid the world has become.

https://etcanada.com/news/250988/mem...sitive-racist/

Tearing down Confederate monuments continues to be a hot-button issue in the American South, and the controversy has apparently spilled over from statues to films set in the era of the Civil War.

This, in fact, is what led the Orpheum Theater in Memphis, Tennessee, to axe the 1940 Oscar-winner “Gone With the Wind” from next year’s summer schedule following a screening on Aug. 11, after which the theatre received “numerous comments” from the public, reports Entertainment Weekly.

After meeting to discuss the issue, the theatre’s board agreed that showing the film classic starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, which depicts the Civil War from a Confederate perspective, would be “insensitive” given the current political climate.

“While title selections for the series are typically made in the spring of each year, the Orpheum has made this determination early in response to specific inquiries from patrons,” read a statement from The Orpheum Theatre Group. “The Orpheum appreciates feedback on its programming from all members of the mid-south community. The recent screening of ‘Gone With the Wind’ at the Orpheum on Friday, August 11, 2017, generated numerous comments. The Orpheum carefully reviewed all of them.”

According to EW, the theatre’s Facebook page was deluged with comments about the film, with one commenter calling the film “racist” while another added, “slowly but surely, we will rid this community of all tributes to white supremacy.”

I want to throw up now.
    Better still they should present the original ‘Birth of a Nation’ with its portrayal of black men as unintelligent and sexually aggressive towards white women, and the portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan as a heroic force. You’d like that.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Better still they should present the original ‘Birth of a Nation’ with its portrayal of black men as unintelligent and sexually aggressive towards white women, and the portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan as a heroic force. You’d like that.
      I don't think that is very nice at all. Birth of a nation is a propaganda peice comparable to mass little red book. Works like Huckleberry Finn and gone with the wind are not.
      sigpic

Comment

Generally speaking, before accusing anybody of being a KKK sympathizer, it would be prudent to quote even one post where the person said something racist.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Tassman is just a liberal commie troll who supports antifa domestic terrorism and mass murderers like Stalin.

Comment

I have never actually watched Gone With The Wind but as far as I know it is just a romance movie and does not contain any sort of racist or propaganda stuff in it.

Comment

What I'd really like is if you weren't an idiot.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Tassman is just a liberal commie troll who supports antifa domestic terrorism and mass murderers like Stalin.

Where's the sarcasm in this post?
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

"I don't give a !@#$"
                  I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

I, for one, approve of this labeling of everyone who politically differs with you as a white supremacist Nazi. I find it extremely effective.

Edit: It's even more effective than "racist" and "bigot." (If such a thing is possible.)
                    Last edited by Zymologist; 09-03-2017, 03:57 PM.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

It's nothing more than an ad hominem.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have never actually watched Gone With The Wind but as far as I know it is just a romance movie and does not contain any sort of racist or propaganda stuff in it.
                        I have it on DVD and it's actually a very good movie, featuring a stunningly beautiful Vivian Leigh as Scarlet O'Hara. But it strongly reflects Confederate values re the status of blacks during the Civil War era. Hence it is insensitive, to say the least, that it be screened in the Deep South during the current 'troubles' re Confederate monuments and the resurgence of the White Supremacists.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I have it on DVD and it's actually a very good movie,
                          You would own it, you white supremacist nazi racist. I bet you have slaves in your basement which you beat every day and force them to make confederate periphenelia that you sell on ebay to fund your collection of civil war statues.

[how was that zym? did I do it right?]

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky
                            periphenelia

It's paraphernalia.

Yes, I am a spelling Nazi!

Comment

You would own it, you white supremacist nazi racist. I bet you have slaves in your basement which you beat every day and force them to make confederate periphenelia that you sell on ebay to fund your collection of civil war statues.

[how was that zym? did I do it right?]
                              I am similarly disturbed that Tassman would so openly support Confederate white supremacism.

Tassman, I was so sure you weren't a Nazi; I'm disappointed. I don't know what to believe anymore.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment