Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Frankly, my dear,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    "Little people" are not a social issue in the way that blacks are,
    So, to you, blacks are more important than little people.

given the resurgence of the White Supremacists.
    There isn't a resurgence. That your side labels any white Republican a "white supremacist" isn't reflective of reality. Shocking, I know.

Further, they were not lynched by the KKK...unless they were black little people.
    So, only people who were lynched by the KKK matter to you... BTW, there were only ~ 3,445 blacks lynched in 86 years, and there were 1,300 lynchings of whites during that same time. There is no indication that the KKK was involved in all of them. I suggest you read this Politifact article to educate yourself on your fallacious claims.

Face it, your attempts at reductio ad absurdum are dishonest.
    No it isn't. Discrimination is discrimination. That you currently value one over the other says more about your values than mine.

GWTW is being used as a propaganda film by being screened annually in Deep South Memphis
    Memphis is the deep South??? Memphis is almost 70% Black. The Orpheum Theatre has theatrical dance troupes that are comprised of predominantly black kids. It's located downtown where the majority of the residents are black. You are an ignorant foreigner commenting on matters on which you are thoroughly ignorant.

Oh your niece told you that Matthews voted for Obama. But of course he did. It's what black murderers did, isn't it?
    Actually, yes.

Among registered black male ex-felons, 71.7 percent in North Carolina and 84.2 percent in Florida are registered Democrats.

The guilt lies in the regular screening of a film demeaning to blacks in a city where Jim Crow laws were in place until 1965.
    You're an idiot. It was an accurate representation of the time, and it remains one of the classic films of all time. I suppose you'll want to have Roots banned next since Kunta Kinte got his foot cut off by a white man...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I understand the biography of Duke, and just being a slave owner is not the main problem for Julian Carr. Many of our founding fathers were slave owners, and again, that is not primary reason for the problems with Julian Carr.
      So, why aren't you fighting to have Duke University renamed?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        There is no "resurgence" of White Supremacists. They have always been there and in the same numbers, and doing the same things, with the same rallies. The only reason you even notice them now is because of the attention they are getting by the MSM and the liberals trying to use them as a club against Trump and regular conservatives. This is all media hype.
        Bingo.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

With all the outrage over this from Tass and others, you'd think that the US is the only country in the whole wide world that has to deal with racism.

I've just been reading about modern day slavery and racism in Thailand, and also in New Zealand. Not to mention slavery throughout the years in both countries.

Who knew?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            With all the outrage over this from Tass and others, you'd think that the US is the only country in the whole wide world that has to deal with racism.

I've just been reading about modern day slavery and racism in Thailand, and also in New Zealand. Not to mention slavery throughout the years in both countries.

Who knew?

wait. Other countries have racism too?

Comment

wait. Other countries have racism too?

I know! Right?

But you'd never know it from the horror over showing GWTW in Memphis!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I know! Right?

Wait. You live in Canada and you have seen it too! That makes Canada Racist! And Tassman has seen it in Australia! Australia is racist! This needs to be exposed. I am going to call CNN.

Comment

Wait. You live in Canada and you have seen it too! That makes Canada Racist! And Tassman has seen it in Australia! Australia is racist! This needs to be exposed. I am going to call CNN.

I think the whole world is racist!

Comment

I think the whole world is racist!
                    People are mired in sin fullness. Our institutions are composed of people and thus sinful actions are executed through them.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      "Little people" are not a social issue in the way that blacks are, given the resurgence of the White Supremacists.
                      The only resurgence of white supremacists is in the news. They are getting attention because of the racial divisiveness encouraged by Obama.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I know! Right?

If people are spending their limited time and energy being upset about screenings of Gone With The Wind, does that suggest that there is rather little racism to get upset about these days? Should we take that as a good sign, of the decline of racism?

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                          If people are spending their limited time and energy being upset about screenings of Gone With The Wind, does that suggest that there is rather little racism to get upset about these days? Should we take that as a good sign, of the decline of racism?
                          I think people could be spending their limited time and energy over things more important than whether someone might be offended by a classic movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            So, to you, blacks are more important than little people.
                            They are to the White Supremacists; no mention of little people in the Charlottesville torchlight processions...only Jews and “Soil and Blood”.

There isn't a resurgence. That your side labels any white Republican a "white supremacist" isn't reflective of reality. Shocking, I know.
                            “David Duke to Donald Trump: “@DrDavidDuke I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists.” Twitter.

So, only people who were lynched by the KKK matter to you... BTW, there were only ~ 3,445 blacks lynched in 86 years, and there were 1,300 lynchings of whites during that same time. There is no indication that the KKK was involved in all of them. I suggest you read this Politifact article to educate yourself on your fallacious claims.
                            Only 3,445 blacks lynched. Oh well, that’s alright then. How many of those were “little people”?

No it isn't. Discrimination is discrimination. That you currently value one over the other says more about your values than mine.
                            Again, how many “little people” have been lynched by the KKK?

Memphis is the deep South???
                            Yes, above Alabama, below Kentucky and next to Nth Carolina and Arkansas. In short, the Deep South!

Memphis is almost 70% Black.
                            Of course it is...the Deep South is where the black slaves were kept.

The Orpheum Theatre has theatrical dance troupes that are comprised of predominantly black kids. It's located downtown where the majority of the residents are black. You are an ignorant foreigner commenting on matters on which you are thoroughly ignorant.
                            And how many of these blacks flock to the Orpheum Theatre for its annual screenings of Gone with the Wind? Don’t tell me, your third cousin on your mother’s side is an usherette there and she says the audience is mostly black and they just love the reminders of the good-ole days.

Among registered black male ex-felons, 71.7 percent in North Carolina and 84.2 percent in Florida are registered Democrats.
                            What has Matthews voting for Obama (allegedly) got to do with anything is the point.

You're an idiot. It was an accurate representation of the time, and it remains one of the classic films of all time. I suppose you'll want to have Roots banned next since Kunta Kinte got his foot cut off by a white man...
                            Yes it’s a very good movie. But it’s inappropriate and insensitive to screen it in Memphis when it depicts 70% of the population as second-class citizens and when White Supremacy is on the rise thanks to Donald J Trump. Perhaps it’s reassuring to the 30% whites to remember the good ole days when the blacks knew their place.
                            Last edited by Tassman; 09-16-2017, 02:31 AM.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              The only resurgence of white supremacists is in the news. They are getting attention because of the racial divisiveness encouraged by Obama.
                              Of course they are. And Obama wasn’t even born in the USA. Trump told us so.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment