Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Psalm 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psalm 110

“And Jesus began to say, as He taught in the temple, ‘How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? David himself said in the Holy Spirit, “The Lord said to my Lord, ‘Sit at My right hand, Until I put Your enemies beneath Your feet.”’ David himself calls Him “Lord”; so in what sense is He his son?’ And the large crowd enjoyed listening to Him.” Mark 12:35-37

Jesus quoted Psalm 110:

This is the declaration of the Lord
    to my Lord:
    “Sit at My right hand
    until I make Your enemies Your footstool.”

Is Jesus claiming to be God or is he simply saying that the Messiah is greater than David?

I would depend on what word is used for Lord in both places in the following sentence:

The Lord said to my Lord

Thanks.

My has long been understanding of the Psalm 110:1 is that it is a prophecy of Christ being exulted in His humanity (a son of David) not of His deity. Those who deny His deity latch on to it as a supposed proof that Christ is not also God.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      My has long been understanding of the Psalm 110:1 is that it is a prophecy of Christ being exulted in His humanity (a son of David) not of His deity. Those who deny His deity latch on to it as a supposed proof that Christ is not also God.
      This is my understanding as well, but I have read some commentaries that claim that Jesus is claiming to be God.

Answering-Islam: Psalm 110:1 – Another Clear Testimony to Christ’s Deity Pt. 1

Comment

From Tektonics Apologetics Ministry.

Source: Tektonics

A considerable factor in Jesus' words is his comment that the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of God. This is far more significant than our phrase, "right-hand man" would suggest. In a study of the matter in Blasphemy and Exaltation in Judaism, [203ff] Darrell Bock discusses parallels in Jewish texts and offers these conclusions:

In the literature of Judaism of the period, "a proximate seating next to God" (i.e., in His presence) "might be considered for a privileged few, either a few universally acknowledged greats" (Moses, Adam, etc.) "of the past or the future eschatological figure of judgment" (the Son of Man of Daniel 7).
        But such honor "would never be contemplated by the leadership for a humble, rural Galilean, preacher like Jesus." Being seated in God's presence (like being seated during the National Anthem) by itself was audacious, though not necessarily a claim to divinity, until we add:

The right hand reference, which means in this culture that Jesus is claiming to be seated by God "in a way that shares the highest honor with him." In other texts, the "right hand of God" is the place where the splendor and majesty of God comes from (Testament of Job), and the righteous are honored by being allowed to stand (not sit) at the right hand of God.
        In short, Jesus thereby claims the prerogatives of God with the combined honor of being seated at the right hand of God, and therefore asserts his divine identity.

© Copyright Original Source

Basically, this and other claims, like the Son of Man title, are claims to being divine. This particular claim seems to fall under the group of claims that could only be made, and be true, by someone divine. Like when Jesus goes and and forgives the paralyzed man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          From Tektonics Apologetics Ministry.

Source: Tektonics

A considerable factor in Jesus' words is his comment that the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of God. This is far more significant than our phrase, "right-hand man" would suggest. In a study of the matter in Blasphemy and Exaltation in Judaism, [203ff] Darrell Bock discusses parallels in Jewish texts and offers these conclusions:

In the literature of Judaism of the period, "a proximate seating next to God" (i.e., in His presence) "might be considered for a privileged few, either a few universally acknowledged greats" (Moses, Adam, etc.) "of the past or the future eschatological figure of judgment" (the Son of Man of Daniel 7).
          But such honor "would never be contemplated by the leadership for a humble, rural Galilean, preacher like Jesus." Being seated in God's presence (like being seated during the National Anthem) by itself was audacious, though not necessarily a claim to divinity, until we add:

The right hand reference, which means in this culture that Jesus is claiming to be seated by God "in a way that shares the highest honor with him." In other texts, the "right hand of God" is the place where the splendor and majesty of God comes from (Testament of Job), and the righteous are honored by being allowed to stand (not sit) at the right hand of God.
          In short, Jesus thereby claims the prerogatives of God with the combined honor of being seated at the right hand of God, and therefore asserts his divine identity.

© Copyright Original Source

Basically, this and other claims, like the Son of Man title, are claims to being divine. This particular claim seems to fall under the group of claims that could only be made, and be true, by someone divine. Like when Jesus goes and and forgives the paralyzed man.
          The New Testament quotes Psalm 110 in other Scriptures and alludes to it in others:

Matthew 22:43-45
          "What do you think about the Messiah, whose son is he?" They said to him, "The son of David." "Then how is it," he asked them, "that David in the Spirit calls him 'Lord, when he says, 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit here at my right hand, until I put your enemies under your feet"?' "If David then calls him 'Lord, how is he his son?" [= Mark 12:35-37; Luke 20:41-44]

Acts 2:33-36
          Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured forth this which you both see and hear. For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says, "The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet." Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Messiah—this Yeshua, whom you executed on a tree!

Hebrews 1:13
          To which of the angels has he ever said, "Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet"?

Allusions

Matthew 26:63-64
          The high priest said to him, "I adjure you by the Living God, that you tell us whether you are the Messiah, the Son of God." Yeshua said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power and coming on the clouds of heaven." [=Mark 14:61-62; Luke 22:67-69; cf. Daniel 7:13]

"Mark" 16:19
          So then, when the Lord Yeshua had spoken to them, he was received up into heaven and sat at the right hand of God.

Acts 5:30-31
          The God of our fathers raised up Yeshua, whom you had put to death by hanging him on a tree. He is the one whom God exalted to his right handas a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 7:55-56
          But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God and Yeshua standing at the right hand of God; and he said, "Behold, I see heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."

Romans 8:34
          . . . Messiah Yeshua is he who died, yes, and rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.

1 Corinthians 15:24-25
          . . . then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when he has abolished all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.

[Top]
          Ephesians 1:20, 22
          . . . he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion. . . . He put all things under his feet.

Ephesians 2:6
          God . . . raised us up with him and seated us in the heavenly places in the Messiah Yeshua.

Colossians 3:1
          Therefore if you have been raised up with Messiah, keep seeking the things above, where Messiah is sitting at the right hand of God.

Hebrews 1:3b
          When he had made purification of sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Hebrews 8:1b
          . . . we have such a high priest, who has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens.

Hebrews 10:12-13
          But he, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time onward until his enemies be made a footstool for his feet.

Hebrews 12:2
          . . . fixing our eyes on Yeshua, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before him, endured execution on the tree, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 Peter 3:21b-22
          Yeshua Messiah . . . is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to him.

Revelation 3:21
          He who overcomes, I will grant him to sit down with me on my throne, just as I also overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

[Top]

Other Imagery Allusions

Luke 12:8
          Everyone who confesses me before men, the Son of Man shall confess him also before the angels of God. [Cf. Matt 10:32: ". . . I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven"]

Philippians 2:9-11
          God highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name; that at the name of Yeshua every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Yeshua Messiah is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1 Timothy 5:21
          I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Messiah Yeshua and of the chosen angels . . .

1 Timothy 6:13
          I solemnly charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Messiah Yeshua, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate . . .

2 Timothy 4:1
          I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Messiah Yeshua, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom . . .

Hebrews 12:22-24
          You have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem . . . to myriads of angels in the festal gathering . . . and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of righteous men . . . and to Yeshua . . .

[Top]
          Revelation 5:1, 6, 7
          And I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a book written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals.... And I saw between the throne...and the elders a Lamb standing as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes.... And he came, and he took [the book] out of the hand of him who sat on the throne.

Revelation 5:13
          Every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever."

Revelation 7:9-10
          And after these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands; and they cry out with a loud voice, saying, "Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb."

Revelation 12:10
          Then I heard a loud voice in heaven saying, "Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Messiah have come, for the accuser of our brethren has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night."

Revelation 22:1, 3
          Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb. . . . the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it [Jerusalem] and his bond-servants shall serve him.

Source: http://www.hebrew-streams.org/works/...s110-list.html

Comment

". . . Then cometh the end, when He [the Son] shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when He[the Son] shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For He [the Son] must reign, till He [the Father] hath put all enemies under His [the Son's] feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For He [the Father] hath put all things under His [the Son's] feet. But when He [the Son] saith, all things are put under Him [the Son], it is manifest that He [the Father] is excepted, which did put all things under Him[the Son]. And when all things shall be subdued unto Him [the Son], then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him [the Father] that put all things under Him[the Son], that God may be all in all. . . ." (1 Corinthians 15:24-28.)

". . . Wherefore God also hath highly exalted Him, and given Him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. . . ." (Philippians 2:9-11.)

". . . Look unto Me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I have sworn by Myself, the word is gone out of My mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. . . ." (Isaiah 45:22-23.)
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

This rendering may help you from the "Divine Name King James Bible":-

Ps. 110:1
              "Jehovah said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.( Mat 22:44; Luk 20:42; Mrk 12:36 )"

Show that Jesus is a "Lord" (one having power etc.) but not God who name is shown in the verse.
              BU

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                “And Jesus began to say, as He taught in the temple, ‘How is it that the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? David himself said in the Holy Spirit, “The Lord said to my Lord, ‘Sit at My right hand, Until I put Your enemies beneath Your feet.”’ David himself calls Him “Lord”; so in what sense is He his son?’ And the large crowd enjoyed listening to Him.” Mark 12:35-37

Jesus quoted Psalm 110:

This is the declaration of the Lord
                to my Lord:
                “Sit at My right hand
                until I make Your enemies Your footstool.”

Is Jesus claiming to be God or is he simply saying that the Messiah is greater than David?

I would depend on what word is used for Lord in both places in the following sentence:

The Lord said to my Lord

Thanks.
                I think He was leaving His hearers to join the dots, and come to their own conclusions about Him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X