Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Views on Patriarchy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Your Views on Patriarchy

May I ask you a question? How does Complementarian/Patriarchy make you personally feel?

Here's where I'm at. If Complementarianism/Patriarchy is true... then either God purposely MADE me, as a female, deficient to lead, deficient to safely and adequately think for myself, protect myself, too deficient to make a "final decision", etc. OR God made me potentially adequate but then tells me that I can't use my potential. Because of an arbitrary creation order. Think about it, please. It's one or the other...at least that's how I see it. Tell me what you think...how do YOU deal?

I do not believe God would do this, I don't believe this is God's character.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Edited by a Moderator
    Last edited by Catholicity; 09-07-2017 at 03:45 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Could you elaborate what you mean by Patriarchy and Conplementarianism?
    Short answer: Male rule. Surely a quick search on the Internet can bring you up to speed.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderator Notice

please make sure which forum you are in TW. men are not allowed in the Sorority

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by RumTumTugger; 09-06-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Um, WF, did you intend for only females to answer? If so, TW, you are in the wrong forum - scoot. If not, the mods can move the thread for you, WF.

Okay, in answer to your question, I don't take that particular view of Complementarianism - different is not necessarily inferior. I'm not convenience that complementarianism as it's put forward is correct. Yes, men and women are different and have different roles to play because of those differences - that part of complementary I have no issue with - but the subordinate is not supported by 'there is no male nor female' and other passages - that I think is over reach.

As for how it makes me feel, it's irritating, yes - but how I feel about it is not the important part - whether or not its true is. If it's God's will that we as women be subordinate then that's what we should be - and we should be ready to accept that IF it is true. I don't think it is - I think Scripture gives us a more egalitarian way while also using our differences to God's glory.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'd like to keep this a sisters-only thread in here. Thanks so much.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sure thing.

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Then we will keep it in here

TW please scoot now let us women gab together ok?

and Teal thanks

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No prob.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The "Benevolent" Patriarchy (Soft Complementarianism) is seriously irritating. The "Don't worry, I will take care of you. I'll take the responsibility for you, I'll shoulder this burden for you." Should I therefore see myself as incompetent to care for myself? Am I not capable of being responsible for myself? Why do I need a "spiritual" leader in my home? Is Christ not enough for me that I should need a supplement, revealing just how very deficient that I am? Am I a perpetual infant in constant need of male care like this? Did God purpose this deficiency in me so that a man could come and rescue me? What is this?! Or, if its just fake...if I don't really *need* a male to be my spiritual head, etc...then why damage a woman's identity over it? Why keep her from becoming strong enough and competent enough to make decisions for herself and share in these decisions with her family? Seriously.

If you believe in any variation of patriarchy, how do you handle this view of you as a woman? Either actually incompetent to lead and *need* a man to guide you, OR you actually are potentially competent but you aren't allowed to develop the God-given potential God created in you.

I'm asking you how this makes you feel. Scripture wrangling can and has been done elsewhere. I'm not asking you for your interpretation of the verses thrown about over this topic. I"m asking you, as a woman, how you personally handle this view of God and yourself.
    Last edited by Wildflower; 09-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.