Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life after the eclipse (sign of Jonah)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
    Depends on how and why you die. If you die after accepting the mark of the beast crossing the street...not so much.
    Good thing I don't plan on accepting the mark of the beast. Being always ready for the bridegroom coming sorta implies that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Good thing I don't plan on accepting the mark of the beast. Being always ready for the bridegroom coming sorta implies that.
      Rest assured I hope that's the point at which your rationalizations come to an end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
        Rest assured I hope that's the point at which your rationalizations come to an end.
        I would hope than any remaining rationalizations of mine come to an end rather sooner than that, when they are brought to my awareness.

With all due respect, prophecies of signs of the end have a 0% track record of being right. Given Jesus' rather emphatic warnings of false signs and prophets, I think I'll take the risk of simply waiting for His return and living my life according to His will regardless of what signs others think they see.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by eschaton View Post
          I think the way to make the correct interpretation is to look for the teaching tradition of the apostles in the early church. That's why I gave the quote from Hippolytus. The church fathers may not be right about everything, but they are when they rely on that tradition, IMO. Hippolytus is one of the earliest to comment on Rev 12. Methodius of Olympus gives extensive commentary in "Symposium." The reason for so many opinions today is that few look to see the early interpretations.
          Hippolytus's eschatological interpretation involved the end of the world occurring 500 years after Jesus's birth. That clearly didn't happen, so the validity of his interpretation seems a bit dubious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
            Not everyone agrees with it because most people are too busy studying commentaries and philosophizing instead of first reading what the text explicitly says. In Chapter 13, the beast has the victory over the saints for 3.5 years. In Revelation 14, the gospel is proclaimed and the earth is reaped. In Revelation 15, the saints have already achieved victory. And it is only afterward that the vials are unleashed.
            In the end of chapter 11 His wrath is come, the dead have been judged, the saints have been rewarded, and the earth has been destroyed (11:18). That's why the earliest interpreters felt Revelation repeats.
            The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              Hippolytus's eschatological interpretation involved the end of the world occurring 500 years after Jesus's birth. That clearly didn't happen, so the validity of his interpretation seems a bit dubious.
              I said that where the church fathers relied on the teaching tradition of the apostles they were correct. That's what has to be discerned. Hippolytus wasn't the only one to teach about the end times.
              Last edited by eschaton; 10-07-2017, 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling
              The Capitol Insurrection And Religion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i0

Comment

Given Jesus' rather emphatic warnings of false signs and prophets, I think I'll take the risk of simply waiting for His return and living my life according to His will regardless of what signs others think they see.
                That isn't an option for a futurist as per Jesus also plainly instructing them to know the signs so we'll know when it's "even at the door" (which is presumably why he gave the signs about the parousia), which you conveniently left out.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  That isn't an option for a futurist as per Jesus also plainly instructing them to know the signs so we'll know when it's "even at the door" (which is presumably why he gave the signs about the parousia), which you conveniently left out.
                  Recognizing the symptoms of "at the door" is not the same as giving dates.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Recognizing the symptoms of "at the door" is not the same as giving dates.
                    Very true, but isn't what OBP said.

Comment

That isn't an option for a futurist
                      Then futurists maybe ought to re-think their position.
                      ...as per Jesus also plainly instructing them to know the signs so we'll know when it's "even at the door" (which is presumably why he gave the signs about the parousia), which you conveniently left out.
                      Except he *didn't* give signs of the end. He said, "when you see these things, the time is not yet." The Christians in Jerusalem in the 60s AD saw those things, fled at an opportune time, and thus did not get caught in the siege and sack of Jerusalem.

sigpic

Comment

Except he *didn't* give signs of the end. He said, "when you see these things, the time is not yet." The Christians in Jerusalem in the 60s AD saw those things, fled at an opportune time, and thus did not get caught in the siege and sack of Jerusalem.
                        Scripture Verse: Luke 21

8 He replied: “Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not follow them. 9 When you hear of wars and uprisings, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.”

© Copyright Original Source

Learn to read.

Comment

Obviously futurists believe preterism is false, so the only option is to pay heed to the signs as per Jesus' instructions.
                          Last edited by seanD; 10-07-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Obviously futurists believe preterism is false, so the only option is to pay heed to the signs as per Jesus' instructions.
                            They did. They were told to flee to Pella.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Faber View Post
                              They did. They were told to flee to Pella.
                              I definitely agree that the prophecies helped the Christians escape the war, hence the reason I'm open to partial/or double fulfillment of the OD. But not all of the prophecies were fulfilled. Jesus never came on the cloud at the sound of the trump (which I believe correlates with Paul's trump) to gather the elect from heaven and earth. And there's no need to argue that that was actually symbolic of Christ's revenge on Jerusalem because I think that interpretation is absurd. I also believe the OD better suits our generation, as our generation can see all the details of the events being fulfilled all over the world as per our communication technology. We know every war and rumor war, every earthquake, every famine, every pestilence, every disaster taking place all over the world usually in real time.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD
                                But not all of the prophecies were fulfilled. Jesus never came on the cloud at the sound of the trump (which I believe correlates with Paul's trump) to gather the elect from heaven and earth. And there's no need to argue that that was actually symbolic of Christ's revenge on Jerusalem because I think that interpretation is absurd.
                                It's definitely not the same as Paul's trump. It's the same as the seven trumpets in Revelation. (I think it's arguable that the seventh of these trumpets is the "last trump," but I doubt it, because the seventh trumpet is only blown by a regular angel, whereas the rapture occurs when Jesus himself sounds a trumpet. 1 Thessalonians 4:16.)

And you are correct that the trumpets are not about the destruction of Jerusalem. The destruction of Jerusalem occurs during the sixth or seventh seal. The trumpets occur after. That's something that even most preterists fail to grasp.

Matthew 24:29-31
                                Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: . . . . And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Luke 21:24-25
                                And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled. And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

And the purpose of the trumpets is not to punish Jerusalem -- or even necessarily to punish anyone else -- but rather, to gather the elect from the ends of the earth.

Comment