Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life after the eclipse (sign of Jonah)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Well, there was no alien invasion or giant meteor either! Or gamma ray burst! Or random black hole! Or earth shattering kaboom!

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Welp, it's now after September 23. Still waiting for the sign I was supposed to see.
      This is why the clever doomsday preachers avoid giving exact dates. That way, they can never be proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Welp, it's now after September 23. Still waiting for the sign I was supposed to see.
        I'll post more about this later since it's been a nuisance for me lately, but--the sign technically happened. The sun passed through the constellation Virgo, as it does every now and then, with exactly no more or less theological significance than any other time it has done so.

Which is to say: no theological significance. This time, or any other time. Several YouTube prophets(tm) could not help themselves and tried to predict a September 23 rapture...then a September 30 rapture... and some have shot for the next several days too. Failure is evidently no discouragement to that crowd when the Lord personally confirms their dreams and feelings and (reapeatedly ) tells them that "this will be their last video."

Comment

The crickets I"m hearing from our resident doomsday prophet are speaking volumes.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Unpopular opinion alert:

I think the doomsday prophets should have been ignored. It seems they were random people with no following and most of the attention they seemed to be getting were from Christians denouncing them, resulting in more bad PR for Christianity.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Unpopular opinion alert:

I think the doomsday prophets should have been ignored. It seems they were random people with no following and most of the attention they seemed to be getting were from Christians denouncing them, resulting in more bad PR for Christianity.
              The inconvenient difficulty of ignoring them is that they clearly have a willing audience; the YT Prophets have videos with 10, 20, 30, 40 thousand views or more--sometimss many more. There is a decent chunk of people who are intensely interested in things like this and they will prop up every two-bit prognosticator that comes across their radar.

Comment

That said, there is one question I have yet to see asked, much less answered:

Why should we think that Revelation 12 is the "sign of Jonah?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rayado View Post
                  The inconvenient difficulty of ignoring them is that they clearly have a willing audience; the YT Prophets have videos with 10, 20, 30, 40 thousand views or more--sometimss many more.
                  That many? Oy.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Rayado View Post

because all of these fishy prophets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      because all of these fishy prophets?
                      00000000000sprkdr.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Rayado View Post

As usual, you guys are ignorant, but that won't stop you from running your mouths. The "sign of Jonah" was the total solar eclipse local to America, which only happened one other time in 1776. No significance there, right? A total solar eclipse happened in Nineveh shortly before Jonah appeared, which likely led to the Ninevites obeying his call to repentance. The total eclipse was not the Rev 12 sign, which involved more than "the sun going through Virgo." It was an alignment of the sun, moon, the constellations Virgo, Leo, Ophiuchus and the planets Venus, Mars, Mercury and Saturn, which doesn't happen "every now and then."

The sign definitely happened. I never said the Rapture would happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
                          The total eclipse was not the Rev 12 sign, which involved more than "the sun going through Virgo." It was an alignment of the sun, moon, the constellations Virgo, Leo, Ophiuchus and the planets Venus, Mars, Mercury and Saturn, which doesn't happen "every now and then."
                          What does astrology have to do with Christianity?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The "sign of Jonah" was the total solar eclipse local to America, which only happened one other time in 1776. No significance there, right?
                            Correct.

Comment

The "sign of Jonah" was the total solar eclipse local to America, .
                              The sign of Jonah was Christ laying dead in the earth for 3 days.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                What does astrology have to do with Christianity?
                                Astronomy isn't astrology, piglet.

Scripture Verse: Genesis 1

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.”

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: Job 38:31

Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion?

32 Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?

© Copyright Original Source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazzaroth
                                The word's precise meaning is uncertain but its context is that of astronomical constellations, and it is often interpreted as a term for the zodiac or the constellations thereof
                                Last edited by Darfius; 10-02-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment