Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life after the eclipse (sign of Jonah)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    The sign of Jonah was Christ laying dead in the earth for 3 days.
    Double fulfillment for the win

Comment

• Originally posted by Darfius View Post
      Double fulfillment for the win
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Astronomy isn't astrology, piglet.
        astrology is finding mystical significance and signs in the positions of celestial objects. which is exactly what you are doing.

and there is nothing in the bible about a total eclipse in nineveh when Jonah was there. seems like that would be worth mentioning, such as "the Lord hid the sun as Jonah preached to the Ninevites"

Comment

Astronomy isn't astrology, piglet.
          I never claimed it was.

Astronomy is not assigning mystical significance to particular alignments of planets and constellations.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            astrology is finding mystical significance and signs in the positions of celestial objects. which is exactly what you are doing.

and there is nothing in the bible about a total eclipse in nineveh when Jonah was there. seems like that would be worth mentioning, such as "the Lord hid the sun as Jonah preached to the Ninevites"
            Genesis 1:14 explicitly says for "signs". Not sure what level of your stupidity I'm supposed to accept when you're ignoring explicit statements in the Bible.

Comment

As usual, you guys are ignorant, but that won't stop you from running your mouths.
              No, it's not that I'm ignorant; it's that I disagree. I've yet to see any Sept. 23rd person explain why the Sign of Jonah has anything to do with Rev. 12. So you are in fact the first of well over a dozen.
              The "sign of Jonah" was the total solar eclipse local to America, which only happened one other time in 1776.
              Not according to Jesus. Luke 11:30 has Jesus saying that Jonah himself was the sign to the Ninevites, not an eclipse; furthermore, Jesus rebuked the crowd for asking for a sign, and the three days that Jonah spent in the fish has always been the traditional interpretation of Jesus response, and the person of Jonah himself being the Sign points only to Jesus' time in the grave being what He meant, not some eclipse. What Biblical scholars agree with your view?

No significance there, right?
              Right.
              A total solar eclipse happened in Nineveh shortly before Jonah appeared, which likely led to the Ninevites obeying his call to repentance.
              And here I thought it was Jonah's preaching and call to repentance. The book of Jonah mentions no eclipse. Why is that?
              The total eclipse was not the Rev 12 sign, which involved more than "the sun going through Virgo." It was an alignment of the sun, moon, the constellations Virgo, Leo, Ophiuchus and the planets Venus, Mars, Mercury and Saturn, which doesn't happen "every now and then."
              But there is precisely zero theological significance here. Alignments, no matter how intricate, don't matter without sound interpretation of Scripture, which is desperately lacking here.

The sign definitely happened.
              Want to know the other reason I don't think September 23 amounted to a hill of eschatological beans? Here's why.

Nobody can look at the sun. If you can see the sun, you can't see the stars and planets around it; and if you can't see the sun, you can't see the stars around it because they're on the other side of the planet or it's cloudy. It can only be detected by star charts or software.

Which means it can't be seen directly. Revelation 12 is deeply symbolic; a sign that appeared (note the past tense) in the highest heaven. Most commentators say the woman represents Israel; some say the church; but none I know of say it is a constellation.
              I never said the Rapture would happen.
              Quite a few people enthusiastically predicted it. Now they have egg on their faces. Even if the end comes soon, which would be nice, it will have nothing to do with an astronomical alignment on that day. Or any other day. It is not how the signs are supposed to be interpreted.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I never claimed it was.

Astronomy is not assigning mystical significance to particular alignments of planets and constellations.
                You do know total eclipses are only possible because the sun is 400 times larger than the moon but also 400 times further away from earth, right? Is that more of a "coincidence" or more of a "sign" to you?

Comment

You do know total eclipses are only possible because the sun is 400 times larger than the moon but also 400 times further away from earth, right? Is that more of a "coincidence" or more of a "sign" to you?
                  It's evidence of design, IMO. You do know that total eclipses happen like every 18 months or so, right? The path of totality for this one just happened to cross the United States from coast to coast, which occurs ever and anon.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Genesis 1:14 explicitly says for "signs". Not sure what level of your stupidity I'm supposed to accept when you're ignoring explicit statements in the Bible.
                    how does that change what I said astrology is as compared to astronomy? but specifically that is talking about using the stars to tell the seasons.

Comment

facepalm3.gif

You do know that the distance of the moon from the earth varies, right?

That is because its orbit is not a perfect circle. At its closest the moon is 225,623 miles away and its furthest at it is 252,088 miles away (that's a difference of 26,465 miles -- you can fit more than 3 earths in that space).

This is why there are annular eclipses and total eclipses

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• tumblr_my53lgZ4g51r92dvqo1_250.gif
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Rayado View Post
                          No, it's not that I'm ignorant; it's that I disagree. I've yet to see any Sept. 23rd person explain why the Sign of Jonah has anything to do with Rev. 12. So you are in fact the first of well over a dozen.
                          You disagree because you're ignorant. Quit waiting for people to explain things to you and seek the Lord's face for yourself. "There shall be signs in the sun, moon and stars."

Not according to Jesus. Luke 11:30 has Jesus saying that Jonah himself was the sign to the Ninevites, not an eclipse; furthermore, Jesus rebuked the crowd for asking for a sign, and the three days that Jonah spent in the fish has always been the traditional interpretation of Jesus response, and the person of Jonah himself being the Sign points only to Jesus' time in the grave being what He meant, not some eclipse. What Biblical scholars agree with your view?
                          What Pharisees (Bible scholars) agreed that Jesus was the Messiah? Experts can be wrong. It's one thing to speak Hebrew. It's quite another to speak righteousness.

http://www.wnd.com/2017/04/solar-ecl...sign-from-god/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_eclipse
                          The Assyrian eclipse, also known as Bur-Sagale (Bur-Saggile, Pur-Sagale or Par-Sagale) eclipse, was a solar eclipse that occurred on 15 June 763 BC (proleptic Julian calendar). It was recorded in Assyrian eponym lists, most likely in the ninth year of the reign of king Ashur-dan III
                          Scripture Verse: 2 Kings 14

25 He [Jeroboam II]was the one who restored the boundaries of Israel from Lebo Hamath to the Dead Sea, in accordance with the word of the Lord, the God of Israel, spoken through his servant Jonah son of Amittai, the prophet from Gath Hepher.

© Copyright Original Source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeroboam_II
                          William F. Albright has dated his reign to 786–746 BC, while E. R. Thiele says he was coregent with Jehoash 793 to 782 BC and sole ruler 782 to 753 BC
                          Jonah was the primary sign, but the sky going dark during midday probably helped him make an entrance, don't you think? Wait, didn't the sky go dark during midday for Jesus, too? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Right.
                          Wrong

And here I thought it was Jonah's preaching and call to repentance. The book of Jonah mentions no eclipse. Why is that?
                          Really? You thought the dude who ran from the Lord and whined about a plant was such a powerful orator that he convinced a nation renowned in the ancient world for its cruelty to repent with a sense of urgency? There were a lot of "prophets" preaching a lot of stuff back then, just like today. What set Jonah apart? Maybe the sky going dark during midday helped?

But there is precisely zero theological significance here. Alignments, no matter how intricate, don't matter without sound interpretation of Scripture, which is desperately lacking here.
                          "there shall be signs in the sun, moon and stars" I'm trying to think if Jesus could have been more explicit. Nope. Pay attention.

Want to know the other reason I don't think September 23 amounted to a hill of eschatological beans? Here's why.

Nobody can look at the sun. If you can see the sun, you can't see the stars and planets around it; and if you can't see the sun, you can't see the stars around it because they're on the other side of the planet or it's cloudy. It can only be detected by star charts or software.
                          And how could God have foreseen modern technology or that it would play a role in our lives?

Which means it can't be seen directly. Revelation 12 is deeply symbolic; a sign that appeared (note the past tense) in the highest heaven. Most commentators say the woman represents Israel; some say the church; but none I know of say it is a constellation.
                          I don't think that word means what you think it means. A sign is not the event itself, but something pointing symbolically towards it. A "wake up call."

Quite a few people enthusiastically predicted it. Now they have egg on their faces. Even if the end comes soon, which would be nice, it will have nothing to do with an astronomical alignment on that day. Or any other day. It is not how the signs are supposed to be interpreted.
                          "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars" means what to you, exactly?

You're welcome for doing your homework for you.

Comment

What Pharisees (Bible scholars) agreed that Jesus was the Messiah?
                            Nicodemus.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Nicodemus.
                              Yes, and Joseph of Arimathea. The point is, most didn't. Don't be contrary just to be contrary, Bill

Comment

Nicodemus.
                                Paul: "I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee" (Acts 23:6)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment