Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Harvey, Irma, and Prophecy Fulfillment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvey, Irma, and Prophecy Fulfillment

Are hurricanes fulfilling prophecy?

The link can be found here.

-----

Are hurricanes a fulfillment of prophecy? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

It's not really a shock that when anything major happens in the world, so many of my Christian brothers and sisters are there to immediately tell us that this is a fulfillment of prophecy. No matter what happens, prophecy is being fulfilled. Trump's getting elected is a fulfillment of prophecy and had it been Hillary, no doubt that would be a fulfillment of prophecy too. This happened with the eclipse and with two hurricanes, it's happening again.

Never mind that to get to Harvey, we had to have seven other hurricanes and you didn't hear a peep really about those. Never mind also that much of the world experiences hurricanes, though they're not called hurricanes there, and nothing is said about those. Like many people today in America, American Christians seem to assume that all prophetic fulfillment centers on what happens in America.*

Take the blood moons for example. We look and say that if there are blood moons happening, that's a sign about Israel. We don't seem to ask "Can these things even be seen in Israel?" Nope. If we can experience it in America, that's enough. (And it's my understanding that not all of the blood moons could be seen in America.)

So what about hurricanes? I did go over to YouTube to look. Just type in "Irma" and "prophecy" and see what happens. The prophecy experts are already at it. I have always said that I would like to be a prophecy expert. You can write a book making ample predictions, have it be a best seller, get touted as an expert in the media, get everything entirely wrong, and still somehow the cycle repeats for you.*

This time, there's a verse I've been asked about in Luke 21.

“There will be signs in the sun, moon, and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.
    Now the literalists among us are looking and saying the sun and moon*are a sign with the solar eclipse and now we have the roaring of the sea. They seem to somehow be ignoring the stars part. (Note that they are always selectively literal) It can't be that an eclipse just happens as part of the natural working of our planet. Nope. It has to be a sign.

This really isn't a Christian notion. This is much more of a pagan one. There have been numerous eclipses in history. Sometimes an eclipse is just an eclipse. We don't need to be looking for signs in everything that happens.

Sadly, we have a reputation of doing that. When Israel is established as a nation, well this is it! Forty more years! Forty years have long since passed and nothing. Maybe it was the Six-Day War! Forty years have passed. Nothing. Every time we see this, it becomes an embarrassment to us because the world looks and realizes they can't take Christians seriously.

If you've read my blog for awhile, you know I'm an orthodox Preterist in my eschatology, so yes, I do think Luke 21 has already been fulfilled. Note especially the part before about Jerusalem being surrounded by armies. This did happen in the time of Vespasian.*

Someone could say "Well there could be a future fulfillment", but it's up to them to establish that. Note that the text also says all these things must happen. Not some of them. All of them, and before the generation passes away. That included in this the destruction of the temple which has already happened.

If you want to be a futurist, I disagree with you, but be a futurist. Please though do not be doing prophecy watches. It has a bad track record and it is very unlikely that you are the exception. Instead, the church just gets embarrassed with a bad track record of how to interpret Scripture. If they can't trust us with Scripture in what they can see, why should they in what they can't?

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    Last edited by Apologiaphoenix; 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM.

Huh. So, our pet conspiracy theorist wasn't the only crackpot claiming this?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Sadly, no.

Comment

It's the same with the global warming pundits. When we have a really bad snowstorm and the deniers say, "see there is no global warming!" the pundits say "That's weather not climate, it doesn't count!" - but when we have hurricanes, those same people run around shouting doom and the hurricanes are proof of AGW!!

Comment

We've had off and on terrible hurricane seasons. I've lived through them. I've lived through just about every kind of storm. Blizzards, ice storms, terrible tornadoes, strong hurricanes, tropical storms, cold fronts warm fronts Thunder snow. hell I've even seen snow in florida. everyone wants to blame it on global warming Jesus coming back etc.with Did I mention I've been through wild fires crazy dry warm weather drouts with dust devils 4 earth quakes and almost all of this was in ONE single state? The biggest Irony I've ever seen is blaming plate tectonics on Anthropological Global warming. Uhh can't help with that one. I feel like those who keep thinking Jesus is coming back live in an american bubble and forget about the entire eastern hemisphere and what the rest of the world is like on a day to day basis. The idea of the rapture is actually a western idea that comes from the plymouth brethren in scotland and transfered to the US in the 1850's. Its brand new. I'm a preterist myself.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            We've had off and on terrible hurricane seasons. I've lived through them. I've lived through just about every kind of storm. Blizzards, ice storms, terrible tornadoes, strong hurricanes, tropical storms, cold fronts warm fronts Thunder snow. hell I've even seen snow in florida. everyone wants to blame it on global warming Jesus coming back etc.with Did I mention I've been through wild fires crazy dry warm weather drouts with dust devils 4 earth quakes and almost all of this was in ONE single state? The biggest Irony I've ever seen is blaming plate tectonics on Anthropological Global warming. Uhh can't help with that one. I feel like those who keep thinking Jesus is coming back live in an american bubble and forget about the entire eastern hemisphere and what the rest of the world is like on a day to day basis. The idea of the rapture is actually a western idea that comes from the plymouth brethren in scotland and transfered to the US in the 1850's. Its brand new. I'm a preterist myself.
            Yeah well when I was young we lived through three nuclear wars and two zombie apocalypses in two days! And we liked it! Why when I was a kid, we had apocalypses every weekend and we died all the time just walking to school in the 4 foot snow. But we never complained! We just trudged along doing the best we could! The kids today have a little hurricane and they lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah well when I was young we lived through three nuclear wars and two zombie apocalypses in two days! And we liked it! Why when I was a kid, we had apocalypses every weekend and we died all the time just walking to school in the 4 foot snow. But we never complained! We just trudged along doing the best we could! The kids today have a little hurricane and they lose it.
              You only got three nuclear wars and two zombie apocalypses in those two days? Pfffft. You were lucky. Double that and throw in an extinction event cosmic impact and you'll know what a real bad weekend was. smiley old.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                You only got three nuclear wars and two zombie apocalypses in those two days? Pfffft. You were lucky. Double that and throw in an extinction event cosmic impact and you'll know what a real bad weekend was. [ATTACH=CONFIG]24014[/ATTACH]
                Ha! One weekend I died* 40 times! And the world was thrown into the sun! During a blizzard!

(*I got better)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Ha! One weekend I died* 40 times! And the world was thrown into the sun! During a blizzard!

(*I got better)
                  Only 40? That sounds like a slow Monday around here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Only 40? That sounds like a slow Monday around here.
                    typo. I left off a few zeros.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      Sadly, we have a reputation of doing that. When Israel is established as a nation, well this is it! Forty more years!
                      I've heard it said that one generation is forty years.

But Deuteronomy 7:9 and Exodus 20:6 tell us that God will show His love to those who keep His commandments for a thousand generations.

Let's see, 40 years X 1,000 is... Oh well....
                      When I Survey....

Comment