Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: John 20:28, My Lord and My God

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox Messiah
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well, at least with your level of crazy, we don't have to worry about you sucking anyone else in, because nobody can follow your extreme nuttery.
    In calling Lazarus from the grave Jesus identifies himself with him in giving his life for him.
    Lazarus becoming "the beloved disciple" who is at Jesus' breast like Jesus at the breast of the father.

Same principle is expressed in Mark 3:1-6, where Jesus identifies himself with the man with the withered hand. v.3 Ἔγειρε εἰς τὸ μέσον. "stand up in the middle") (KJV omits)

v. 4 And he said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?”

v.5 “Stretch forth your hand.” --Ἔκτεινον τὴν χεῖρα - refers to Genesis 3:22 -- LXX καὶ νῦν μήποτε ἐκτείνῃ τὴν χεῖρα καὶ λάβῃ τοῦ ξύλου τῆς ζωῆς καὶ φάγῃ καὶ ζήσεται εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα

v. 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geert van den Bos View Post
    In calling Lazarus from the grave Jesus identifies himself with him in giving his life for him.
    Lazarus becoming "the beloved disciple" who is at Jesus' breast like Jesus at the breast of the father.

Same principle is expressed in Mark 3:1-6, where Jesus identifies himself with the man with the withered hand. v.3 Ἔγειρε εἰς τὸ μέσον. "stand up in the middle") (KJV omits)

v. 4 And he said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?”

v.5 “Stretch forth your hand.” --Ἔκτεινον τὴν χεῖρα - refers to Genesis 3:22 -- LXX καὶ νῦν μήποτε ἐκτείνῃ τὴν χεῖρα καὶ λάβῃ τοῦ ξύλου τῆς ζωῆς καὶ φάγῃ καὶ ζήσεται εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα

v. 6 The Pharisees went out and immediately held counsel with the Herodians against him, how to destroy him.
    P7m6Ubt.jpg

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox Messiah
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If Jesus was God then Mary was the mother of God.

Why don't you venerate her as such?

https://www.thoughtco.com/ave-maria-...slation-724041

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you accusing God of incest?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Are you accusing God of incest?
    No.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But "before Me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after Me." so Jesus is not a God then. Yet John 1 says he is. If Jesus is a God and God said that no Gods would be formed before or after him, then Jesus must be a false God? Why do you follow a false God, BU?
    Where in John 1 does it say Jesus is god (with a small "g") let alone God !?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Uh...

John 1 Modern English Version (MEV)
    The Word Became Flesh

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were created through Him, and without Him nothing was created that was created. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of mankind. 5 The light shines in darkness, but the darkness has not overcome it.

6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 This man came as a witness in order to testify concerning the Light, that all men through Him might believe. 8 He was not this Light, but was sent in order to testify concerning the Light.

9 The true Light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was created through Him, yet the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own people did not receive Him. 12 Yet to all who received Him, He gave the power to become sons of God, to those who believed in His name, 13 who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, the glory as the only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

8. Amen Faber, Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unitarian101 View Post
    Where in John 1 does it say Jesus is god (with a small "g") let alone God !?
    Pretty much the whole chapter is about Jesus being God. Christian Bookworm quotes some of the relative passages. It calls him God, says he created everything.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Pretty much the whole chapter is about Jesus being God. Christian Bookworm quotes some of the relative passages. It calls him God, says he created everything.
    But you cannot point to a single verse where Jesus is called “God.”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unitarian101 View Post
    But you cannot point to a single verse where Jesus is called “God.”

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him; and without him [a]was not anything made that hath been made. ...14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us

1. The Word was God.
    2. The Word made flesh was Jesus.

Therefore Jesus is God.

Other places Jesus is called God:

Col. 1:16-17 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I AM!" [uses the name of God]

John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." 28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Titus 2:13 while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ

12. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.