Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John 20:28, My Lord and My God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    You are hard of hearing. That Jesus explained, ". . . the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. " (Acts 1:7) Does not change the fact that Jesus was understood to be both Lord (a man) and God (with the Father). 1 Corinthians 8:6. 1 Timothy 2:5. And that Jesus who was sent by the Father (John 17:3) as such is our sole access to God (John 14:6).
    The Holy Spirit CANNOT BE God because "ONLY THE FATHER" in Matthew 24:36 knows that hour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
      The Holy Spirit CANNOT BE God because "ONLY THE FATHER" in Matthew 24:36 knows that hour.
      Where does it say that all the members of the Trinity must be omniscient in this detail?

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by Geert van den Bos View Post
        1Corinthinas 8:6,
        ἀλλ' ἡμῖν εἷς θεὸς ὁ πατήρ, ἐξ οὗ τὰ πάντα καὶ ἡμεῖς εἰς αὐτόν,] καὶ εἷς κύριος Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, δι' οὗ τὰ πάντα καὶ ἡμεῖς δι' αὐτοῦ
        yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
        And Lord is another name for God.

1 Timothy 2:5,
        εἷς γὰρ θεός, εἷς καὶ μεσίτης θεοῦ καὶ ἀνθρώπων, ἄνθρωπος Χριστὸς Ἰησοῦς,
        For one God, and one one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
        So Jesus is set apart from all people here.

John 17:3,
        αὕτη δέ ἐστιν ἡ αἰώνιος ζωή, ἵνα γινώσκωσιν σὲ τὸν μόνον ἀληθινὸν θεὸν καὶ ὃν ἀπέστειλας Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν
        and this is the eternal life, that they know you the only true God and the one whom you have sent Jesus Christ
        So knowing Jesus (and the Father) gives eternal life! This could not be said of a mere man.
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Where does it say that all the members of the Trinity must be omniscient in this detail?

Blessings,
          Lee
          The answer is 1 John 3:20 that says "God knows everything"

Comment

And Lord is another name for God.
            not per se

https://biblehub.com/greek/2962.htm

famous example Psalms 110:1, נְאֻ֚ם יְהֹוָ֨ה לַֽאדֹנִ֗י , "n'um hashem ladoni" --saying of hashem (=the Lord) to my master

LXX Psalms 109:1, ειπεν ο κυριος τω κυριω μου

So Jesus is set apart from all people here.
            But thar doesn't make him God

So knowing Jesus (and the Father) gives eternal life! This could not be said of a mere man.
            Jesus is (said to be) "the firstborn among many brethren" (Romans 8:29); " the firstborn of every creature" (Colossians 1:15); "the firstborn from the dead" (Colossians 1:18)

Comment

• The creator (she) only made one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Comment

The answer is 1 John 3:20 that says "God knows everything"
                Yes, God in the Trinity knows all things. That is not to say that some detail couldn't be hidden from a member of the Trinity.

Blessings,
                Lee

Comment

not per se

famous example Psalms 110:1, נְאֻ֚ם יְהֹוָ֨ה לַֽאדֹנִ֗י , "n'um hashem ladoni" --saying of hashem (=the Lord) to my master

LXX Psalms 109:1, ειπεν ο κυριος τω κυριω μου
                  That kind of proves the point that "κυριος" is another name for God.

But thar doesn't make him God
                  But it sets him apart from all people, so Jesus is no mere man.

Jesus is (said to be) "the firstborn among many brethren" (Romans 8:29); " the firstborn of every creature" (Colossians 1:15); "the firstborn from the dead" (Colossians 1:18)
                  But this doesn't address the point that knowing Jesus is key to having eternal life! And being firstborn can mean being preeminent, i.e. not referring to birth per se, or birth order.

Blessings,
                  Lee

Comment

That kind of proves the point that "κυριος" is another name for God.

"adon" (used in Psalms 110:1)
                    https://biblehub.com/hebrew/113.htm
                    אָדוֹן
                    husbands (1), Lord (5), lord (172), lord's (9), lords (2), master (91), master's (24), masters (5), owner (1).

κύριος
                    Definition: lord, master
                    Usage: lord, master, sir; the Lord.
                    properly, a person exercising absolute ownership rights;
                    Psalms 110 relates Genesis 14, the war of the four kings against the five, where Abrahm gained victory in favor of the five with help of his 318 trained servants

But it sets him apart from all people, so Jesus is no mere man.
                    I am also apart from all people in the sense that I am I and no one else.

But this doesn't address the point that knowing Jesus is key to having eternal life! And being firstborn can mean being preeminent, i.e. not referring to birth per se, or birth order.
                    Esau sold his birthright (the right of the firstborn) to Jacob, even on the day that Abraham (the one who gained victory over the four kings) died.

Rashi on Genesis 26:30
                    red lentils. And on that day, Abraham died, lest he see Esau, his grandson, falling into bad ways, for that would not be the “good old age” that the Holy One, blessed be He, had promised him. Therefore, the Holy One, blessed be He, shortened his life by five years, for Isaac lived one hundred and eighty years, and this one (Abraham) [lived] one hundred and seventy-five years, and Jacob cooked lentils to feed the mourner (Isaac).

Comment

Esau sold his birthright (the right of the firstborn) to Jacob, even on the day that Abraham (the one who gained victory over the four kings) died.
                      Yes, so then Jacob became in effect, the firstborn. But this doesn't address the point that knowing Jesus is key to having eternal life!

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

Yes, so then Jacob became in effect, the firstborn. But this doesn't address the point that knowing Jesus is key to having eternal life!

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        It was about whether (scripture states that) Jesus was (creator-)God or not.

Comment

It was about whether (scripture states that) Jesus was (creator-)God or not.
                          And if knowing him is key to having eternal life, the answer would appear to be yes. And as far as Jesus being creator-God, see John 1:10:

ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ ἦν, καὶ ὁ κόσμος διʼ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο, καὶ ὁ κόσμος αὐτὸν οὐκ ἔγνω.

Blessings,
                          Lee

Comment

• Whatever Jesus was not by himself as Jesus said "The Son do nothing of himself" in John 5:19 but was by God's power because Peter said "Jesus of Nazereth a man approved by signs and wonders God did through him" Acts 2:22

Comment

Whatever Jesus was not by himself as Jesus said "The Son do nothing of himself" in John 5:19 but was by God's power because Peter said "Jesus of Nazereth a man approved by signs and wonders God did through him" Acts 2:22
                              John 1:1-2, ". . . with God."

John 8:13-18, ". . . The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. . . ."
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: Littlejoe

Same Hakeem,

You cannot continue to post anti-Christian views in restricted areas. If you wish to post such challenges, please use one of the appropriate forums like General Theistics or Comparative Religions. You are being assessed 1 point as this is your second infraction. Please pay attention to the rules of each forum you post in.

Thank You.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Sparko; 01-27-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X