Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Junior's meeting with Russian lawyer: no smoking gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    You're talking to people that seriously considered the idea that CNN set-up a flash flood rescue for ratings because a video was out of sync, so don't hold your breath for them to start being rational any time soon.

It's pathetic to watch really. This site used to have a lot of intelligent thoughtful thinkers on the conservative side, but since Trumpism hit the ground here in the US, the conservative movement has gone mad dog crazy, and talking to them is like a conversation with a small child. At this point, Tweb conservatives have gone full retard, and Alex Jones conspiracy theories are taken seriously now.

To borrow a word from Trump: sad.
    As one would expect from the supporters of the man child Trump...they identify with him.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Yeah cos Mueller hires a dream-team of the nation's top prosecutors, impanels a grand jury, and conducts a pre-dawn
      raid... because it's a total nothingburger and he knows it will come to nothing..?

Seriously? What sort of alternative reality are you living in?

Dude you've completely lost the plot. SoR's right: You guys are pathetic to watch and trying to have a conversation with you is like having one with a small child.
      It all boils down to one thing: Ken Starr.

Twenty years ago, conservatives used the powers of a special counsel to embark on a never ending fishing expedition against Bill Clinton because they were still sore about the election via Ken Starr - a conservative activist. It started out with a real estate deal called Whitewater, but it ended in a completely unrelated perjury trap concerning a sexual affair between Clinton and Monica Lewinsky that Starr set-up. A lot of liberals felt that it was wrong that Starrs investigation was allowed to wonder around into completely unrelated matters, but conservatives felt the ends justified the means.

Now they're worried that the same thing could happen to Trump. He may come out completely clean in any conspiracy with Russian nationals, but Mueller may run across a matter that is not directly connected to the election like... Trumps extensive list of shady dealings with foreign interests. Too bad, they've got to live with he precedents they've set.

The Washington Times (a conservative rag) is reporting just that this evening.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ation-hints-a/

Special counsel Robert Mueller is obsessed with President Trump’s network of business interests for suspected money laundering as a critical focus of his investigation into Russian meddling in the presidential election last year, according to sources from the intelligence community close to the former FBI director.

One of the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the special counsel, who this year hired a staff of 16 lawyers with significant experience prosecuting such financial crimes, is focused on unraveling the Trump family’s tangled financial and real estate empire in a bid to find any connections to “dark money” investments from Russian oligarchs and organized crime figures.

Another source, close to the White House legal defense team, told The Times that subpoenas issued by Mr. Mueller’s office during recent weeks have been focused on financial records of key Trump associates. The subpoenas have come since the special prosecutor began using a District of Columbia grand jury this summer, according to the source, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The special counsel’s office overseeing Mr. Mueller’s probe declined to comment on the specific money laundering claim but suggested in an email to The Times that its probe could extend in a range of directions and may not be limited to the months leading up to the presidential election.

Peter Carr, the top spokesman for the office, pointed specifically to comments that Mr. Mueller made to Congress as the probe gained momentum last spring. At the time, the former FBI director said the inquiry could involve “investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
        We'll see. The revelation that Donald Trump Jr. agreed to meet with a Kremlin-linked lawyer in June 2016 after being promised damaging information about Hillary has escalated discussion about whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia’s interference in the election. Foreign support for Election campaigns, either financial or via other means, is illegal.
        First of all, she wasn't a "Kremlin-linked lawyer"; secondly, there was no indication that the promised information had been acquired illegally, and it turned out she didn't have any information anyway; third, there was no talk in the meeting about Russia supporting the Trump campaign, financially or otherwise. This is is what the evidence shows and is highly significant because liberals have been insisting for months that this meeting was the smoking gun that would finally put Trump away for good. But, like always, it turns out to be much ado about nothing.

But since you insist it's illegal for a US political campaign to collude in anyway with a foreign government then you're no doubt ready to condemn Hillary for colluding with the Ukrainian government to dig up information that she actually did use in an attempt to hurt Trump's chances. Right?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ackfire-233446
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Who are 'the liberals' in this conversation? CNN?

I think it would be a wonderful world if all news organisations spent their frontpage, every friday, on the things they were wrong about in the last week. Each commentator doing a similar errata of what they had gone through. Alas, humans are sinful, and therefore vain, and therefore saying "I was wrong" is difficult.
          when I say "the liberals" I am speaking of yes, the MSM and the leaders of the democratic party.

Comment

Um... of course Trump colluded with the Russians. Duh? If you seriously think he didn't after everything that's been revealed, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Every week further revelations make Mueller's investigation look worse and worse for Trump and his family. At this point I anticipate Trump and half a dozen of his associates being hit with at least a dozen charges each.

Don't confuse the OP article which is specifically about a tiny piece of evidence, for the whole investigation itself. Just because the notes that Manafort made during one particular meeting aren't a smoking gun, it in no way implies there aren't a couple of dozen smoking guns.
            After nearly a year of this there is still not one shred of actual evidence for this absurd claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              You're talking to people that seriously considered the idea that CNN set-up a flash flood rescue for ratings because a video was out of sync, so don't hold your breath for them to start being rational any time soon.

It's pathetic to watch really. This site used to have a lot of intelligent thoughtful thinkers on the conservative side, but since Trumpism hit the ground here in the US, the conservative movement has gone mad dog crazy, and talking to them is like a conversation with a small child. At this point, Tweb conservatives have gone full retard, and Alex Jones conspiracy theories are taken seriously now.

To borrow a word from Trump: sad.
              show me where I said that it was a set-up. I was arguing that it was not faked, although I did say there seemed to be something fishy going on and it could have been recreated after the fact because they didn't get it on camera, but after more info I decided it was genuine after all. I never believed it was faked.

If anyone is completely overreacting here, it seems to be you. You have turned from a fairly reasonable guy into a flaming drama queen lately.

Comment

Yeah cos Mueller hires a dream-team of the nation's top prosecutors, impanels a grand jury, and conducts a pre-dawn
                raid... because it's a total nothingburger and he knows it will come to nothing..?

Seriously? What sort of alternative reality are you living in?
                You mean like how Patrick Fitzgerald, in spite of knowing full well that there was no White House "leak" that outed Valerie Plame as a CIA operative still set up Scooter Libby in a perjury trap? Investor's Business Daily nailed it when they wrote "From top to bottom, this has been one of the most disgraceful abuses of prosecutorial power in this country's history... The Plame case proves [Fitzgerald] can bend the truth with the proficiency of the slickest of pols."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There's also the fact that Mueller's "dream team" is being paid handsomely. Who wouldn't take that job even if they knew it was a wild goose chase? Not to mention the prestige of adding that credential to a resume.

Comment

I don't know if I should be more worried about the fact that the USA is now overrun with Nazis or that Trump is a puppet of Putin. I'm so confused.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

You know what really scares me? The fact that we almost had Hillary as president.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        There's also the fact that Mueller's "dream team" is being paid handsomely. Who wouldn't take that job even if they knew it was a wild goose chase? Not to mention the prestige of adding that credential to a resume.
                        It will also look good on a résumé when the next time there is a Democrat in the White House and seeking to fill positions in the Justice Department including perhaps Attorney General

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I don't know if I should be more worried about the fact that the USA is now overrun with Nazis or that Trump is a puppet of Putin. I'm so confused.
                          Putin is a Nazi. problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Putin is a Nazi. problem solved.
                            whoa.jpg
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              You know what really scares me? The fact that we almost had Hillary as president.

The most scary part about that is that as bad as it would have been it would still have been far batter.
                              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                The most scary part about that is that as bad as it would have been it would still have been far batter.
                                Batter? Like what you dip chicken in before you fry it? Is this an obscure crack at Hillary's physique?

Comment