Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Random Biology questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Biology questions

We have immune systems, do plants, fungi, and invertebrates have immune systems?

What is the difference between monera bacteria and archea? They both are single celled organisms.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    We have immune systems, do plants, fungi, and invertebrates have immune systems?
    Yes on plants and invertebrates; don't think so in the traditional sense on fungi, though they certainly produce a lot of toxins that kill other organisms. Plants and invertebrates both have innate immune systems, which recognize things that generally look like pathogens, rather than recognizing a specific pathogen. We have this plus the adaptive immune system, which is centered on antibodies and T-cell receptors.

What is the difference between monera bacteria and archea? They both are single celled organisms.
    Monera is out of date, obviated by the discovery that bacteria and archaea are distinct. The distinctions involve things like the precise chemistry of the cell membranes, the presence or absence of specific protein complexes, and clustering on DNA analysis of similarity.

To give some specific examples: if you did a phylogenetic tree of a well-conserved gene, bacteria and archaea would both cluster together, and be distinct from each other. Archaea have a simplified version of a protein-digesting complex called a proteasome (simplified relative to the eukaryotic version); bacteria lack this entirely.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Can archea make you sick? Or are all pathogenic prokaryotes eubacteria type?

Comment

Can archea make you sick? Or are all pathogenic prokaryotes eubacteria type?
        As of 2013 (the most recent review i could find), there are no clear cases of disease causing archaea, although they will opportunistically inhabit some areas of the human body damaged by other diseases.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Here's some more questions! How do eagles fly? How do snakes slither? And when did we figure out the answers to those questions? Because some guy named Agur didn't know and was amazed by it.

Comment

Here's some more questions! How do eagles fly?
            With their wings.

I let someone else have a chance to answer the others.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              With their wings.

I let someone else have a chance to answer the others.
              I meant how their wings work! Agur probably knew they used wings. He just seemed to not know how it worked exactly.

There are three things which are too wonderful for me,
              Four which I do not understand:
              The way of an eagle in the sky,
              The way of a serpent on a rock,
              The way of a ship in the middle of the sea,
              And the way of a man with a maid.

Comment

I meant how their wings work!
                Flapping

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I meant how their wings work! Agur probably knew they used wings. He just seemed to not know how it worked exactly.
                  I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to be read that way. I've always understood it to be something along the lines of migration paths/patterns, and not about the aerodynamics of wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to be read that way. I've always understood it to be something along the lines of migration paths/patterns, and not about the aerodynamics of wings.
                    Huh. So he could be referring to the eagles going somewhere and then coming back without getting lost? Who is Agur anyway? I just find it interesting that being intrigued about how something happens seems to be the reason we have science.

Comment

Huh. So he could be referring to the eagles going somewhere and then coming back without getting lost? Who is Agur anyway? I just find it interesting that being intrigued about how something happens seems to be the reason we have science.
                      I decided to google around, and apparently "way" is somewhat of a unfortunate translation. Here's what ISBE (Note that it's from 1901, so it might not be the most up to date source) has to say on the passage:

Source: ISBE article on Eagle

"The way of an eagle in the air; The way of a serpent upon a rock: The way of a ship in the midst of the sea; And the way of a man with a maiden."

This reference to the eagle is to that wonderful power of flight that enables a bird to hang as if frozen in the sky, for long periods appearing to our sight immovable, or to sail and soar directly into the eye of the sun, seeming to rejoice in its strength of flight and to exult in the security and freedom of the upper air. The word "way" is here improperly translated. To the average mind it always means a road, a path. In this instance it should be translated:

The characteristics of an eagle in the air; The habit of a serpent upon the rock; The path of a ship in the midst of the sea; And the manner of a man with a maid. Each of these lines stood a separate marvel to Agur, and had no connection with the others (but compare The Wisdom of Solomon Song of Solomon 5:10,11, and see WAY).

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/eagle/

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Plane old Newtonian physics.

Source: www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/flight/physics.html

In animals that generate significant lift forces (like true flyers), the angle of the wings against the flow of air creates a resistance that has the net effect of moving the wing (and the animal) upward. ... Thrust is a force induced in the direction of the animal's flight, opposing the drag force.
                        Basic Flight Physics.

© Copyright Original Source

Some birds, like eagles, and some aircraft can also use soar on thermal air currents, and the aerodynamic nature of wings. Humans actually copied the aerodynamics of bird wings to design airplane wings.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-20-2017, 07:03 AM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Here's some more questions! How do eagles fly? How do snakes slither? And when did we figure out the answers to those questions? Because some guy named Agur didn't know and was amazed by it.
                          This article describes how snakes slither.
                          https://www.livescience.com/3639-stu...s-slither.html
                          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hmm, would we have ever invented airplanes if there hadn't been birds flying overhead?

Comment

Hmm, would we have ever invented airplanes if there hadn't been birds flying overhead?
                              Flying insects might have been an inspiration

Comment