Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Random Biology questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Hmm, would we have ever invented airplanes if there hadn't been birds flying overhead?
    I do not think this hypothetical works in a discussion. It is simply a fact that the early designers of wings for aircraft used birds wings to study flight.

The aerodynamics and flight of insects is actually different than for birds, actually not researched in detail until more recently to understand the aerodynamics of flight from the insects perspective.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-25-2017, 12:37 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Hmm, would we have ever invented airplanes if there hadn't been birds flying overhead?
      I think kites alone would lead to airplanes, and kites are not at all hard to invent. Kites are almost a given in the physical world.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It is possible that the aerodynamic air foil would be developed by trial and error without birds. Many airplane designs failed, before the bird wing design lead to the success airplane, and by the way the propeller.

Kite designs had marginal success for glided fight, but useless for powered flight without a propeller designed based on the bird's wing.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-26-2017, 07:21 PM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

[QUOTE=shunyadragon;493343Kite designs had marginal success for glided fight, but useless for powered flight without a propeller designed based on the bird's wing.[/QUOTE]
          Actually, the propeller design was inspired by boat propeller designs, refined through wind tunnel testing:

http://wrightstories.com/propeller-d...ight-brothers/

Be careful, it's long, so you may find it difficult to comprehend.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment