Announcement

Collapse

Sorority Guidelines

Here is the Hen House. We gather and talk about men, shoes, clothing, and if those wings are all they are cracked up to be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

10 Reasons Why Men Should Not Be Pastors (Sarcasm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Reasons Why Men Should Not Be Pastors (Sarcasm)

Sarcasm alert:

Ten Reasons Why Men Should Not Be Pastors
    by David M. Scholer

10. A man’s place is in the army.

9. For men who have children, their duties might distract them from the responsibilities of being a parent.

8. Their physical build indicates that men are more suited to tasks such as chopping down trees and wrestling mountain lions. It would be “unnatural” for them to do other forms of work.

7. Man was created before woman. It is therefore obvious that man was a prototype. Thus, they represent an experiment, rather than the crowning achievement of creation.

6. Men are too emotional to be priests or pastors. This is easily demonstrated by their conduct at football games and watching basketball tournaments.

5. Some men are handsome; they will distract women worshipers.

4. To be an ordained pastor is to nurture the congregation. But this is not a traditional male role. Rather, throughout history, women have been considered to be not only more skilled than men at nurturing, but also more frequently attracted to it. This makes them the obvious choice for ordination.

3. Men are overly prone to violence. No really manly man wants to settle disputes by any means other than by fighting about it. Thus, they would be poor role models, as well as being dangerously unstable in positions of leadership.

2. Men can still be involved in church activities, even without being ordained. They can sweep paths, repair the church roof, and maybe even lead the singing on Father’s Day. By confining themselves to such traditional male roles, they can still be vitally important in the life of the Church.

1. In the New Testament account, the person who betrayed Jesus was a man. Thus, his lack of faith and ensuing punishment stands as a symbol of the subordinated position that all men should take.

http://juniaproject.com/10-reasons-w...ot-be-pastors/
    Last edited by Wildflower; 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM.
    Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.

Aragorn: You are a daughter of kings, a shield maiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.

I saw this article years ago, and I love it. I love turning patriarchal nonsense on its head.

I got on OKCupid when I began dating again. If you've never used OKC, it allows you to answer questions so that you can give potential dates an idea about your values, and reading their answers can tell you a lot in turn about them.

There's a question about keeping one's last name when you get married. I got paired with a lot of conservative guys who had answered this question with, "I would want my wife to take my last name," and they had marked this issue "very important." Our conversation would go something like this:

Me: Why is it important to you that your wife take your last name?
    Him: I just think it's important for the entire family to be known by one name.
    Me: I'm divorced. My children have their father's last name, and he'd never let them change it. So that can't happen with me.
    Him: Well, in that case, the husband and wife should have the same last name. To show unity.
    Me: Hmm. I don't feel the same way, but since this is so important to you, you are more than welcome to take my last name if things work out.
    Him: No, it doesn't work that way, you have to take my name!
    Me: But it says in the Bible that "a man will leave his father and his mother and cleave unto his wife." So why would you want to keep the name of your father and mother? Me taking your name just doesn't seem very biblical.

Needless to say, I didn't end up with one of those guys.

(Also, love The Junia Project. I am working on something to submit to them, a new translation from the Latin of Origen's comments on the apostle Junia. They haven't accepted it yet, but I think they're going to like it.)
    "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

For the record, I think it's important for the whole family to have the same name. Sometimes it's not possible, but it is ideal. I see it as an issue of unity. My given name is a fairly common surname (which seems to be the trendy way to name girls these days) and if I had ended up with a man whose surname is the same as my given name, I would have wanted him to take my name just to avoid the awkward situation of having the same first and last name. In any other situation I would take his name, and it is in fact what I did when I got married. (Bonus: people can now pronounce my surname when they see it, and can usually spell it when they hear it. That was not the case with my maiden name.)
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        For the record, I think it's important for the whole family to have the same name. Sometimes it's not possible, but it is ideal. I see it as an issue of unity. My given name is a fairly common surname (which seems to be the trendy way to name girls these days) and if I had ended up with a man whose surname is the same as my given name, I would have wanted him to take my name just to avoid the awkward situation of having the same first and last name. In any other situation I would take his name, and it is in fact what I did when I got married. (Bonus: people can now pronounce my surname when they see it, and can usually spell it when they hear it. That was not the case with my maiden name.)
        My maiden name was just irredeemably boring.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
          My maiden name was just irredeemably boring.
          I'd say, more "incredibly common" than boring. At least people know how to spell/pronounce it.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            I'd say, more "incredibly common" than boring. At least people know how to spell/pronounce it.
            That is where you'd be wrong! People are always trying to insert a T.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

My boyfriend has a rather goofy last name, and I'm just sick of changing my name at this point. If he decided to take my last name, that'd be cool, but I think he's attached to it.

I'd change my children's last names to mine in a heartbeat; I think it's awful that they're stuck with the last name of the dad who abandoned them rather than the mother who stood by them and supported them. But their father has joint legal custody and I doubt he'd let me change it.
              "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                That is where you'd be wrong! People are always trying to insert a T.
                People didn't even know where to start with my maiden name. At least you only had one letter to worry about.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X