Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Evil Trump Scaring Our Children!

  1. #11
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,602
    Amen (Given)
    19165
    Amen (Received)
    6185
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There was some special on TV the other night with the premise "What if we treated teachers like celebrities!" It was an award show, I think -- I didn't watch it for very long -- but they brought in teachers from all over the country and had the red carpet, the paparazzi, crowds of people lining the walkway to scream at each teacher as they arrived while the teachers stood there looking awkward. I guess the idea is that teachers are so important that we should treat them like celebrities; unfortunately, the only common link I could think of between teachers and Hollywood stars is that both are overrated.

    Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of a good teacher (and considering the number of bad teachers in the system, a good one is even more highly valued), but this notion that teaching is the most important profession ever is stupid. There are a lot more people besides teachers who are critical for encouraging a child to grow up to be a moral and productive member of society. Teachers are just one cog in a highly complex machine, but the way some people act, they're the only cog.
    I do have to sort of agree with this except: Celebrities are of essentially zero value to the nation or the world. Even a mediocre teacher is more valuable than the top celebrity.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  2. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,081
    Amen (Given)
    1413
    Amen (Received)
    2603
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There was some special on TV the other night with the premise "What if we treated teachers like celebrities!" It was an award show, I think -- I didn't watch it for very long -- but they brought in teachers from all over the country and had the red carpet, the paparazzi, crowds of people lining the walkway to scream at each teacher as they arrived while the teachers stood there looking awkward. I guess the idea is that teachers are so important that we should treat them like celebrities; unfortunately, the only common link I could think of between teachers and Hollywood stars is that both are overrated.

    Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of a good teacher (and considering the number of bad teachers in the system, a good one is even more highly valued), but this notion that teaching is the most important profession ever is stupid. There are a lot more people besides teachers who are critical for encouraging a child to grow up to be a moral and productive member of society. Teachers are just one cog in a highly complex machine, but the way some people act, they're the only cog.
    Yes, let's treat teachers just like celebrities. A group know for the narcissistic tendencies. What could possibility go wrong?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  4. #13
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,602
    Amen (Given)
    19165
    Amen (Received)
    6185
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Yes, let's treat teachers just like celebrities. A group know for the narcissistic tendencies. What could possibility go wrong?
    It already has gone wrong.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  5. #14
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,642
    Amen (Given)
    1233
    Amen (Received)
    843
    Children?!?! unlikely, but Trump scares me.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  6. Amen Charles amen'd this post.
  7. #15
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    19,749
    Amen (Given)
    1034
    Amen (Received)
    3998
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Children?!?! unlikely, but Trump scares me.
    Well if you weren't a red diaper doper baby...
    God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform; He plants his footsteps in the sea, And rides upon the storm. You fearful saints fresh courage take, The clouds you so much dread are great with mercy, and shall break In blessings on your head. Judge not the Lord by your feeble sense, But trust him for his grace; Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face. William Cowper

  8. #16
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,081
    Amen (Given)
    1413
    Amen (Received)
    2603
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    It already has gone wrong.
    True, but adding in Hollywood narcissism into the mix likely won't help.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  9. #17
    What's that? lilpixieofterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,081
    Amen (Given)
    1413
    Amen (Received)
    2603
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Children?!?! unlikely, but Trump scares me.
    Can you actually name a 'scary thing' he's actually done yet? Beyond defeating Queen Clinton that is...
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

  10. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
  11. #18
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,249
    Amen (Given)
    4362
    Amen (Received)
    4152
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    True, but adding in Hollywood narcissism into the mix likely won't help.
    In my experience, teachers are already a pretty narcissistic lot. I think the years of calling them "heroes" and overstating their importance has gone to their heads.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •