Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will St. Louis Burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will St. Louis Burn?

Ex-Cop Jason Stockley Found Not Guilty Of Murdering Black Man In 2011

Earlier today, ex-police officer Jason Stockley was found not guilty of the first-degree murder of 24 year old Anthony Lamar Smith, a black man shot and killed following a high-speed chase back in 2011. Stockley, who formerly worked for the St. Louis police department, was on trial after shooting Lamar Smith five times, killing him in the process. While he claimed that he saw Smith pull out a gun, prosecutors stated that Stockley actually planted the gun after the fact.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Stockley originally requested to be tried by a judge, rather than a jury of his peers. During the trial, Assistant Circuit Attorney Robert Steele cited police dashcam footage which showed Stockley saying ""going to kill this ____, don't you know it." Apparently, the murder occurred less than a minute later. Stockley's lawyer defended his client's statement, chalking it up to typical "human emotion" during a high pressure situation.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

link?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      link?
      Here is one, not the original: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/missouri-b...100419885.html
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I would be interested to see a story detailing the judge's decision. The Yahoo story makes it sound like the ruling contradicted the evidence, but I don't buy that.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I would be interested to see a story detailing the judge's decision. The Yahoo story makes it sound like the ruling contradicted the evidence, but I don't buy that.
          I think the prosecutor over reached with the first degree murder charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This looks fishy.

Comment

Comment

Reminiscent of how some folks are bewildered that they were arrested saying they didn't do anything after they got in an altercation with a police officer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd say their protest in general was a good one. Something looks a bit fishy about the acquittal of Jason Stockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      I'd say their protest in general was a good one. Something looks a bit fishy about the acquittal of Jason Stockey.
                      What looks fishy? The standard is "beyond any reasonable doubt" and the judge had plenty of reasonable doubt. To say nothing of the fact that he was overcharged. Premeditated murder because the cop said "I'm gonna kill this guy" after a high speed chase? Get outa here.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/16/bl...cks-at-police/

Comment

Protesting about every little thing that gets someone's nose out of joint has become so commonplace these days that I don't think it has the impact it used to, and too often these protests just turn into straight-up riots. Surely there are more productive ways to get one's point across, or at least a way that doesn't make one look like a spoiled brat or a thug.

And I don't know if this ruling is fishy or not since I don't have enough details. Unless you can prove the judge was in on it then I have to assume the evidence didn't prove the prosecution's case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Comment

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...9bb30f31a.html

Comment

Assuming the police testimony is accurate, it sounds like they had good reason to fear for their lives.

Comment