Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will St. Louis Burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Here is the original news story about the shooting if anyone is interested:

===================
    ST. LOUIS • Police shot and killed a drug suspect at West Florissant and Acme avenues early Tuesday afternoon after a mile-long chase through the area, according to authorities.

Authorities identified the dead man as Anthony Lamar Smith, 24, of the 4800 block of Page Boulevard in St. Louis.

Two officers saw what they believed to be a drug transaction near a fast-food restaurant at Thekla Avenue and Riverview Boulevard after noon, according to Capt. Michael Sack. When police approached a car involved in the suspected drug transaction, they saw Smith reaching for something under the seat or between the seat and the center console.

Officers ordered Smith to stop and show his hands, but he put the car in gear and drove toward an officer, Sack said. The second officer, fearing for the first officer's safety, fired at Smith, Sack said.

It was unclear if Smith was hit by a bullet at that point. The car kept going and police pursued it to West Florissant and Acme, just west of Goodfellow Boulevard, where Smith lost control of his vehicle on the wet road, Sack said. The police SUV hit the vehicle.

When officers got out of their SUV, they again saw Smith reaching for something under the seat, Sack said. They repeatedly asked Smith to show his hands and, fearing he was trying to retrieve a weapon, fired when he did not comply, Sack said.

Smith was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"They wouldn't let me kiss him or hug him goodbye," said Smith's mother, Annie Smith.

The officers were not injured. The officer that fired at the suspect is 31 and has as been an officer for four years, the department said. He was put on paid leave, as is standard in such shootings.

Sack said officers found drugs and a gun in the suspect's vehicle, a silver sedan.

Court and Missouri Department of Corrections records show Smith faced theft, weapons and drug charges in the past and served prison time on at least some of those charges.

Kirkwin Taylor said he and his 5-year-old son went to the fast-food restaurant with Smith. Taylor said he was inside getting food when the incident with police started. He said there was no drug transaction and he doesn't believe his friend had a gun in his car.

"I wouldn't have had my son in there if there was a gun in there," he said.

Christina Wilson, 31, the pregnant girlfriend of Smith and mother of Smith's 1-year-old daughter, said she was on the phone with him when he was shot.

"He was crying for help," she said outside of the hospital. "I could hear him moaning, 'Oh, oh.'"

Christine Byers and David Carson of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.
    http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...9bb30f31a.html
    I'd still like to see the judge's 30 page explanation for how he decided what he decided. I suspect we're going to find that the prosecution did not do a good job.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'd still like to see the judge's 30 page explanation for how he decided what he decided. I suspect we're going to find that the prosecution did not do a good job.
      who knows? It could be they just didn't have enough evidence to convict. Doesn't mean he isn't actually guilty. But that's our justice system, it would rather a guilty man go free than an innocent man in prison (although that happens too)

Comment

Oh found it (judges ruling)

http://www.bnd.com/latest-news/artic...tockleyVerdict

pdf attached..
        Attached Files

Comment

Oh found it (judges ruling)
          Interesting, there is nothing there that proves that Stockley acted wrongly, certainly not first degree murder.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Police officers in St Louis chant after breaking up protests

Police officers in riot gear gathered alongside a St Louis boulevard late on Sunday night, chanting “whose street, our street”, a common refrain used by those protesting the acquittal of a white former officer in the death of a black man, after successfully clearing the street of demonstrators and onlookers.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ng-up-protests

USA! USA! USA! (for Starlight)

Comment

Police officers in St Louis chant after breaking up protests
              Good for them!

USA! USA! USA! (for Starlight)
              Are you trying trigger Star?
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Good for them!

Are you trying trigger Star?
                Everything about the USA triggers Starlight.

The Illinois Governor is a former Navy Seal and he isn't going to put up with any crap.

“People have the right, after this verdict, if they’re hurt, or in pain, they have the right to protest. Our law enforcement is there to protect them,” Greitens said. “Our mission remains the same. That is to protect everyone’s constitutional right to peacefully protest. At the same time we are going to protect lives, we’re going to protect homes and we are going to protect our communities. Violence is not going to be tolerated in the State of Missouri.”

Comment

Everything about the USA triggers Starlight.

The Illinois Governor is a former Navy Seal and he isn't going to put up with any crap.

“People have the right, after this verdict, if they’re hurt, or in pain, they have the right to protest. Our law enforcement is there to protect them,” Greitens said. “Our mission remains the same. That is to protect everyone’s constitutional right to peacefully protest. At the same time we are going to protect lives, we’re going to protect homes and we are going to protect our communities. Violence is not going to be tolerated in the State of Missouri.”
                  Governor of Missouri

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Governor of Missouri
                    derp.

Comment

This did my heart good!

Black Lives Matter group takes the stage at pro-Trump rally — what happens next is amazing

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/09...ext-is-amazing

Comment

This did my heart good!

Black Lives Matter group takes the stage at pro-Trump rally — what happens next is amazing

Pretty neat

Almost too good to be true.

Comment

This did my heart good!

This is what we have been telling Tassy and crew what freedom of speech is all about - you don't have to agree with the message but everyone has a right to share their message without violence

Good messages will flourish, bad ones will die

Comment

This is what we have been telling Tassy and crew what freedom of speech is all about - you don't have to agree with the message but everyone has a right to share their message without violence
                            Yes, and like in the link we may actually have some things in common but at least we can listen to each other.

Comment

Good messages will flourish, bad ones will die
                              We probably shouldn't be surprised at his rejection of this considering how the results of a recent survey of American college students conducted by by the liberal-leaning Brookings Institution revealed that "a surprisingly large fraction of students believe it is acceptable to act—including resorting to violence—to shut down expression they consider offensive." In fact 19% approve of using violence to shut down controversial speakers.

Comment

We probably shouldn't be surprised at his rejection of this considering how the results of a recent survey of American college students conducted by by the liberal-leaning Brookings Institution revealed that "a surprisingly large fraction of students believe it is acceptable to act—including resorting to violence—to shut down expression they consider offensive." In fact 19% approve of using violence to shut down controversial speakers.
                                Only 19%?
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment