Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Psychological Impact of Complementarian/Patriarchal Theology

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    The psychological impact of egalitarianism
    Psychological impact of egalitarianism: see Wallflower!!

At first, happy, content in service of church!

Then after egalitarianism, becomes prideful, angry, 'why can't I lead!?', 'why aren't you people on internet supporting rebellion of mine?!?!!!?!', 'I am victim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'.

And ending is almost like stereotype, wonder-woman-avatar poster says "destroy relationships of yours further!!! you go grrrrrrrrl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
    Last edited by demi-conservative; 09-23-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    "It's easier to say that it's not our [US Democrats'] fault, but Russians' fault, say that they interfered with the elections... It reminds me of anti-Semitism, when everything is Jews' fault. Someone is a mutt, can't do a thing, but the Jews are to be blamed. But we know where such an attitude leads to, it never ends well"

2. Amen Darth Executor amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsJack View Post
    Wildflower -- Welcome to the forums.

My comment isn't going to be about you. The problem here isn't you and it's gaslighting to suggest otherwise. You aren't the one teaching through words and actions that half of the human race exists to serve and be subordinate to the other. Of course that's harmful.

My comment is going to be about this.

You're wrong. Yes, you CAN leave.

You may not want to leave. You may not want to have to explain to your family why you can no longer remain in a church that has shackled half of Christ's body. You may not want to say that you're done subjecting yourself to an unbiblical theology of female subordination.

But you can leave. You can leave any day you want. You can leave this Sunday morning if you want.

And if going to a church with a biblical theology of women in ministry causes division in your family, well, Jesus had a few things to say about that (Luke 12:51-53).

I'm so sorry for your pain. Feel free to private message me if you want to talk.
    I don't see anyone here teaching the underlined.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

4. Amen One Bad Pig, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wildflower -- Welcome to the forums.

My comment isn't going to be about you. The problem here isn't you and it's gaslighting to suggest otherwise. You aren't the one teaching through words and actions that half of the human race exists to serve and be subordinate to the other. Of course that's harmful.

My comment is going to be about this.

You're wrong. Yes, you CAN leave.

You may not want to leave. You may not want to have to explain to your family why you can no longer remain in a church that has shackled half of Christ's body. You may not want to say that you're done subjecting yourself to an unbiblical theology of female subordination.

But you can leave. You can leave any day you want. You can leave this Sunday morning if you want.
    Respectfully, leaving is not always the best option; it is often merely the most selfish option. In your case, you were absolutely right to leave, but this case bears little resemblance to yours.
    And if going to a church with a biblical theology of women in ministry causes division in your family, well, Jesus had a few things to say about that (Luke 12:51-53).
    That Jesus warned he would bring division does not mean that division itself is good, or that we should divide over non-essentials.
    Last edited by One Bad Pig; 09-23-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

6. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The problem here isn't you and it's gaslighting to suggest otherwise.
    Yeah, if you don't agree with her you're engaging in psychological abuse.
    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post

That Jesus warned he would bring division does mean that division itself is good, or that we should divide over non-essentials.
    I think you meant "doesn't?"

9. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think you meant "doesn't?"
    Yes. I have no idea how the heck my fingers skipped the negative I was intending to put in there.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

11. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Evangelical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I don't see anyone here teaching the underlined.
    I guess you're not reading Darth Executor's posts.

But yes, complementarian and/or patriarchal theology do teach that women are subordinate to and exist to serve men. Not always directly, but they do. Some complementarians even teach that women's subordination is eternal will continue into the next life (Kevin DeYoung, Mark David Walton, etc). Of course that's emotionally damaging and the OP is right to take issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Respectfully, leaving is not always the best option; it is often merely the most selfish option. In your case, you were absolutely right to leave, but this case bears little resemblance to yours.
    We are talking about leaving a church, not leaving a marriage. I'm not sure what this has to do with my case as I've pretty much never left a church.

I just wanted to stress to her that leaving her church absolutely is an option. Why wouldn't it be?

Is it the best option? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes it's better to stay and try to make things better.

Me personally, I would absolutely leave a church that was hindering me from serving God. No question.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We are talking about leaving a church, not leaving a marriage. I'm not sure what this has to do with my case as I've pretty much never left a church.

I just wanted to stress to her that leaving her church absolutely is an option. Why wouldn't it be?

Is it the best option? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes it's better to stay and try to make things better.

Me personally, I would absolutely leave a church that was hindering me from serving God. No question.
    You're the one who made the comparison. The question is, is the church "hindering her from serving God," or is she putting her own wants above the church's?

14. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just wanted to point out that Jesus washed his disciples' feet. Men are to be the servant and leader. At the same time. Women weren't created to be the slaves of men. Extreme egalitarianism needs to get over thinking that we complementarians think that to be so.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

16. Amen Sparko, RumTumTugger, Teallaura amen'd this post.