Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future ministry opportunities for disgraced televangelists?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Future ministry opportunities for disgraced televangelists?

The other day I delivered a package from a ministry of a televangelist who was popular a couple decades ago but whose star had fallen after multiple sex scandals. I also heard recently about another televangelist who had also had a scandal who has set up shop again in my state, preaching a soon return of Jesus Christ. I had been unaware either of these guys were still in ministry.

Obviously there is forgiveness of sins, but for the good of the image of Christianity, might it be better if people who so prominently and publicly tarnished the image of Christianity step out of public ministry in the future?
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

2. Amen mossrose, Jedidiah, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The idea that this was so commonplace was exemplified by when Josh Duggar got caught on Ashley Madison and publicly assumed there would still be a place for him in Christian political lobbying, and was surprised to be told he would not have a job.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Obviously there is forgiveness of sins, but for the good of the image of Christianity, might it be better if people who so prominently and publicly tarnished the image of Christianity step out of public ministry in the future?
    Yes but you're making the assumption that these people ever cared about the good of the image of Christianity in the first place. Rather than wait for them to step out Christians should simply reject them as spiritual leaders of any kind.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The other day I delivered a package from a ministry of a televangelist who was popular a couple decades ago but whose star had fallen after multiple sex scandals. I also heard recently about another televangelist who had also had a scandal who has set up shop again in my state, preaching a soon return of Jesus Christ. I had been unaware either of these guys were still in ministry.

You mean like Paul who denied the Lord three times?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Yes but you're making the assumption that these people ever cared about the good of the image of Christianity in the first place. Rather than wait for them to step out Christians should simply reject them as spiritual leaders of any kind.
    This, however, is a legitimate issue. The veracity of the ministry matters - a lot.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    You mean Peter?
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

8. Amen Jedidiah, JB DoulosChristou amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Peter, you mean? Peter wasn't even a Christian when that happened because Christianity didn't yet exist.

10. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    You mean Peter?
    Yes, thanks...

12. Amen JB DoulosChristou, Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Peter, you mean? Peter wasn't even a Christian when that happened because Christianity didn't yet exist.
    Yes, yes, Peter. The Apostle - but the point would be equally true with Paul and the church did exist by then.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, yes, Peter. The Apostle - but the point would be equally true with Paul and the church did exist by then.
    Paul persecuted Christians out of conviction, before he became one. Once he converted he didn't act in a grossly amoral way or otherwise embarrass the church.

Peter denied Christ, under threat to his life. I've never met a televangelist who had to maintain sexual relations with prostitutes or snort coke under threat of life and/or well being.