Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future ministry opportunities for disgraced televangelists?

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Years ago we had a man guilty of stealing money from a local ministry. I would never put such a person in a position where he had access to money. Sexual scandals are not a lot different.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If I am remembering correctly, Jim Bakker really repented and turned his life around after the PTL scandal. I think he is still a bit out there on the end times prophesy thing but from what I have seen (been a few years now) he really repented, admitted his crimes, served his time, and has not used his ministry as a scam since and is no longer a prosperity teacher. He said, "The more I studied the Bible, however, I had to admit that the prosperity message did not line up with the tenor of Scripture. My heart was crushed to think that I led so many people astray. I was appalled that I could have been so wrong, and I was deeply grateful that God had not struck me dead as a false prophet!"

3. Amen Teallaura, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
    Strictly speaking, I don't think a major moral fall like a sex scandal can permanently disqualify a disgraced minister (televangelist or otherwise) from ministry. But part of repentance in such a case is recognizing the harm done to the public reputation of Christ and his Church by such scandals. And repentance then ought to entail taking care that one's future ministry will not further perpetuate harm to said name. So repentance and restoration, particularly in high-profile cases, probably ought to involve a lengthy process for re-training in virtue and discipline, and also should lead to a less public ministry setting. For that reason, a disgraced televangelist, celebrity preacher, etc., moving suddenly back into high-profile ministry is a cause for concern, and suggests that perhaps the minister has not sufficiently glimpsed the serious ramifications for the church of his scandals.
    While a major moral fall can certainly be repented of and forgiven, IMO someone who has so badly failed the trust once placed in them should not return to a position of leadership.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    While a major moral fall can certainly be repented of and forgiven, IMO someone who has so badly failed the trust once placed in them should not return to a position of leadership.
    And then there are those who got caught, publicly asked for forgiveness only to turn around and do it again. Jimmy Swaggart comes to mind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Peter.
    Yeah, yeah, we got that.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I do not think it is all that difficult to discern illegitimate ministries if the "ministry" serves mostly to enrich the "minister."
    I agree. It might take a little effort to discern.

I get a little more concerned with the "Christian in name only." I mean ministers who deny God existence, believe Jesus was only a man and yet still call themselves a Christian. They're entitled to whatever they want to believe, but what about the poor souls they will take to Hell with them through their false teaching?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

8. Amen LostSheep, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, yeah, we got that.
    Peter.

Just making sure.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

10. Amen JB DoulosChristou amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hey Teal, did you mean Peter?

12. Amen JB DoulosChristou amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    By George, I believe she meant Peter

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    By George, I believe she meant Peter
    Peter who?