Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Ten Commandments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Commandments

If the 10 commandments were given to the Jews, then why do Gentile Christians have to obey them?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
    If the 10 commandments were given to the Jews, then why do Gentile Christians have to obey them?

Thanks.
    Are gentiles men (humans)? Are the 10 the "word of the LORD" which happens to have been given to Israel?

". . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live. . . ." -- Deuteronomy 8:3. Note Jesus' citing of it Matthew 4:4.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Thanks.
      Because most of them were reiterated in the NT.

Also we are still under the moral law of the OT but not the civil or ceremonial law. Not as to our salvation, but as good Christians who want to follow God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Because most of them were reiterated in the NT.

Also we are still under the moral law of the OT but not the civil or ceremonial law. Not as to our salvation, but as good Christians who want to follow God.
        What about the Sabbath?

I'm reading about how Jews observe the Sabbath -- lots of restrictions.

Jesus seemed to be more lenient.

How does one keep the Sabbath holy?

Comment

What about the Sabbath?

Well we do believe Sunday is a type of sabbath and we believe in not working and going to Church on that day.

Like you said, I don't think we are under the same strict reading of the Law. We are to follow the moral precepts because morality doesn't change. The sabbath is more of a ceremonial or civic command, but we do keep it's purpose: to remind us of God's holiness and the creation work and rest.

We also don't really keep the commandment about graven images either.

Comment

What about the Sabbath?

The 7th day Sabbath was given to the people of Israel. When non-Hebrews were in their land they were required to observe the Sabbath too.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Well we do believe Sunday is a type of sabbath and we believe in not working and going to Church on that day.
              Not really. We go to church on Sunday to celebrate the Resurrection. We generally do not work on Sunday because that would interfere with going to church. There is no commandment to rest on Sunday. Conversely, there is also no Jewish command to assemble for worship on the Sabbath. There is really very little similarity between them.
              We also don't really keep the commandment about graven images either.
              Yes and no. The intent of the commandment is that no graven images should be made to be worshiped as gods. We don't do that. We make images as decoration, but so often did the Jews - witness the colorful paintings found in early synagogues, the cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant, etc. That the same God Who gave the commandment also directed that the cherubim be made should make it clear that images per se were not ruled out.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Not really. We go to church on Sunday to celebrate the Resurrection. We generally do not work on Sunday because that would interfere with going to church. There is no commandment to rest on Sunday. Conversely, there is also no Jewish command to assemble for worship on the Sabbath. There is really very little similarity between them.
                Thanks Roy My point was that we celebrate it as a special day. kinda like the Sabbath.
                Yes and no. The intent of the commandment is that no graven images should be made to be worshiped as gods. We don't do that. We make images as decoration, but so often did the Jews - witness the colorful paintings found in early synagogues, the cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant, etc. That the same God Who gave the commandment also directed that the cherubim be made should make it clear that images per se were not ruled out.
                again, thanks Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  Are gentiles men (humans)? Are the 10 the "word of the LORD" which happens to have been given to Israel?

". . . know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every [word] that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live. . . ." -- Deuteronomy 8:3. Note Jesus' citing of it Matthew 4:4.

I like your answer. Thanks.

Comment

What would you say if a Christian said we are to follow the 10 Commandments if we choose to?

Comment

What would you say if a Christian said we are to follow the 10 Commandments if we choose to?
                      Well, I don't think it is sinful to do what they say. Just as long as you don't make them a law over you.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Thanks Roy My point was that we celebrate it as a special day. kinda like the Sabbath.

again, thanks Roy.
                        Did you miss your morning rum ration or something?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Did you miss your morning rum ration or something?
                          howler-monkeys.jpg

Comment

The law has a purpose to show us we are sinful (Matthew 5:20; Romans 3:19; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10 & 1 Timothy 1:8-11).

But those who make the law a means of salvation miss God's grace (Galatians 2:21; Galatians 5:4).

Comment

From what we know of the earliest Christians, they did work on Sundays.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X