Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ken Burns' Vietnam...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Burns' Vietnam...

I hope you are all watching this, it is very well done and so far quite fair. Two things jump out at this point. We really were worried about Communism not only taking over Asia, but the world. Second, how many miscalculations the best and brightest of our country, through four administrations, made. Stunning! http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I wouldn't expect anything less than the highest quality from Ken Burns.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      He is doing a good job presenting the facts without the social commentary.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I loved his Civil War documentary, but actual historians had issues with it right from the start, and as time has progressed, and we learn more and more about the period, academic criticism has increased, which Burns has sort of handwaved away. Still, if it got people at least interested in the period, I think that's something in of itself. I love history, but always found the Civil War boring until I saw his documentary. Looking forward to checking out the Vietnam one.

Comment

He's a good filmmaker, but he often plays fast and loose with the facts.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I loved his Civil War documentary, but actual historians had issues with it right from the start, and as time has progressed, and we learn more and more about the period, academic criticism has increased, which Burns has sort of handwaved away. Still, if it got people at least interested in the period, I think that's something in of itself. I love history, but always found the Civil War boring until I saw his documentary. Looking forward to checking out the Vietnam one.
            Popularizers of history tend to get negative feedback from their fellow historians for painting things too broadly and leaving things out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Popularizers of history tend to get negative feedback from their fellow historians for painting things too broadly and leaving things out.
              I think the biggest criticism of Burn's Civil War was that he romanticized the conflict and gave Southern apologist and author Shelby Foote a prominent and exclusive platform from which to promote his point of view. Some critics have said the documentary could have been improved immensely if Burns had simply included a second talking head to counterpoint Foote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I think the biggest criticism of Burn's Civil War was that he romanticized the conflict and gave Southern apologist and author Shelby Foote a prominent and exclusive platform from which to promote his point of view. Some critics have said the documentary could have been improved immensely if Burns had simply included a second talking head to counterpoint Foote.
                I loved Shelby Foote, I could listen to that man talk for hours!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  I loved Shelby Foote, I could listen to that man talk for hours!
                  Yes, he was extremely engaging and personable. He just had a particular view of the war that wasn't necessarily correct, or perhaps I should say well-rounded, and that colored the whole documentary.

Comment

Comment