Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Female Christian Writers

Faith
    Evangelical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lepidopter View Post
    Yes, that is the issue I've run into, that prior to the twentieth century, there were precious few female writers who engaged with much outside the realm of memoir (valuable, but not exactly what I'm looking for!) or subversive writing for the sake of subversion.
    What a helpful list-I thank you so very much!
    Np. It is very sad that we don't have more from Christian women throughout history. There just weren't enough women who had both achieved an education and managed to leave something lasting behind.

Of my list, I think The Souls of Purgatory is particularly valuable because it's by a 17th century Afro-Peruvian donada (a not-quite-nun). It does contain some personal apologetics for her visions; she frequently would mention that perhaps the devil had deceived her. This provided her with cover in case anything in her visions was deemed heterodox or heretical.

I am not Catholic and do not believe in purgatory, but I still found the book fascinating.

Good luck!

Faith
    Evangelical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I found another good example to add to this list: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz (17th century, Mexico). Her Response of the Poet to the Very Eminent Sor Filotea De la Cruz is a very robust apologetic for a woman's right to study and teach theology. It was a response to a bishop who had written under a female pseudonym to concern-troll her poetry and scholarly work and suggest that she devote herself to more feminine pursuits.

She's different from most other pre-modern religious female writers in that she always maintained study as the source of her knowledge and theology rather than mysticism.

Much of her poetry was secular, but Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz: Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality) appears to have the best collection of her religious writings translated into English.

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lepidopter View Post
    Hello all,

Has anyone here read historical female theologians?
    Preferably in the realm of apologetics.
    I understand there is a severe deficit of them owing to the fact that women's education and, by way of consequence, their writing, was actively suppressed.
    It is worth a shot, however! I know there were quite a few mystics, such as Hildegard of Bingen, whom I've not read and I wonder if there are any apologetics facets to their writings.
    Dame Julian of Norwich’s Revelations of Divine Love are always worth a read.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think these will be of much use in the near future of my studies, but I'm noting them for possible future use and personal interest. Current female authors seem to focus their attention on male supremacist theories.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων