Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Female Christian Writers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Christian Writers

Hello all,

I believe this will be my first post since joining.
    I am presently pursuing a Master's Degree in Theological Studies but this is a bit of information that is quite apart from what I want to ask:
    Has anyone here read historical female theologians?
    Preferably in the realm of apologetics.
    I understand there is a severe deficit of them owing to the fact that women's education and, by way of consequence, their writing, was actively suppressed.
    It is worth a shot, however! I know there were quite a few mystics, such as Hildegard of Bingen, whom I've not read and I wonder if there are any apologetics facets to their writings.

Female Christian Writers

Hello all,

I understand there is a severe deficit of them owing to the fact that women's education and, by way of consequence, their writing, was actively suppressed.
    It is worth a shot, however! I know there were quite a few mystics, such as Hildegard of Bingen, whom I've not read and I wonder if there are any apologetics facets to their writings.

Comment

Hi, and welcome!

I can't help you with your question, but I would like to let you know that you don't really need to repost your original in subsequent posts.

People will reply as they are able. So be patient.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Hi, and welcome!

I can't help you with your question, but I would like to let you know that you don't really need to repost your original in subsequent posts.

People will reply as they are able. So be patient.

That was my fault Mossy. I merged her 2 threads. instead of merging the posts together.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The Alexiad by Anna Komnene may provide some theological insight. I'm not aware of any ancient female writers of apologetics, though that wasn't a very large field to begin with.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And Dorothy Sayers might be a good resource too, e.g. Creed or Chaos?

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              That was my fault Mossy. I merged her 2 threads. instead of merging the posts together.

Then I beg forgiveness of lepidopter.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I can't recommend anything in the area of apologetics specifically, but I have been working on a book list of "100 Books Every Christian Should Read." Some of the female authors I'm considering:

Liber Divinorum Operum by Hildegard of Bingen
                Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich
                The Souls of Purgatory by Ursula de Jesús
                Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila
                Hail God, King of the Jews by Emilia Lanier
                The Way of Holiness by Phoebe Palmer
                Anything by Catherine Booth, probably Popular Christianity or Practical Religion

Unfortunately, pre-20th-century pickings are slim. Hope that helps.
                "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

I appreciate the explanation and response!
                  I'm sure I'll make all sorts of blunders in these forums, so I'll beg forgiveness in anticipation of making them :)

Comment

Originally posted by MsJack View Post
                    I can't recommend anything in the area of apologetics specifically, but I have been working on a book list of "100 Books Every Christian Should Read." Some of the female authors I'm considering:

Liber Divinorum Operum by Hildegard of Bingen
                    Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich
                    The Souls of Purgatory by Ursula de Jesús
                    Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila
                    Hail God, King of the Jews by Emilia Lanier
                    The Way of Holiness by Phoebe Palmer
                    Anything by Catherine Booth, probably Popular Christianity or Practical Religion

Unfortunately, pre-20th-century pickings are slim. Hope that helps.
                    Yes, that is the issue I've run into, that prior to the twentieth century, there were precious few female writers who engaged with much outside the realm of memoir (valuable, but not exactly what I'm looking for!) or subversive writing for the sake of subversion.
                    What a helpful list-I thank you so very much!

Comment

Originally posted by lepidopter View Post
                      Yes, that is the issue I've run into, that prior to the twentieth century, there were precious few female writers who engaged with much outside the realm of memoir (valuable, but not exactly what I'm looking for!) or subversive writing for the sake of subversion.
                      What a helpful list-I thank you so very much!
                      Np. It is very sad that we don't have more from Christian women throughout history. There just weren't enough women who had both achieved an education and managed to leave something lasting behind.

Of my list, I think The Souls of Purgatory is particularly valuable because it's by a 17th century Afro-Peruvian donada (a not-quite-nun). It does contain some personal apologetics for her visions; she frequently would mention that perhaps the devil had deceived her. This provided her with cover in case anything in her visions was deemed heterodox or heretical.

I am not Catholic and do not believe in purgatory, but I still found the book fascinating.

Good luck!
                      "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

I found another good example to add to this list: Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz (17th century, Mexico). Her Response of the Poet to the Very Eminent Sor Filotea De la Cruz is a very robust apologetic for a woman's right to study and teach theology. It was a response to a bishop who had written under a female pseudonym to concern-troll her poetry and scholarly work and suggest that she devote herself to more feminine pursuits.

She's different from most other pre-modern religious female writers in that she always maintained study as the source of her knowledge and theology rather than mysticism.

Much of her poetry was secular, but Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz: Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality) appears to have the best collection of her religious writings translated into English.

Comment

Originally posted by lepidopter View Post
                          Hello all,

Dame Julian of Norwich’s Revelations of Divine Love are always worth a read.

Comment

I don't think these will be of much use in the near future of my studies, but I'm noting them for possible future use and personal interest. Current female authors seem to focus their attention on male supremacist theories.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X