Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hugh Hefner is now in hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    As Adrift has made clear below, you have serious comprehension problems Sparko, either that or you are just being deliberately dishonest.
    Oh, the irony.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Oh, the irony.
      If you can't see and admit that either after reading his responses to my question, then you have a problem as well. At least Adrift was honest concerning what I was asking, even if his answer was a lousy one.
      Last edited by JimL; 10-18-2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        Wrong, think again. We don't all have, and never have all had, the same evidence pertaining to the existence of your god.
        Of course we have. God makes available to every person who has ever lived sufficient evidence for them to believe. It's up to each one of us to accept it.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Of course we have. God makes available to every person who has ever lived sufficient evidence for them to believe. It's up to each one of us to accept it.
          Jesus and the Christian gospels dingbat!

Comment

No, he doesn't, and just saying so doesn't make it so. You need to explain how God offers the same saving grace to those who never knew him, along with the fact that according to Christianity, one needs to believe in Jesus in order to be saved by grace.
            I actually offered two ways in the post you were responding to.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            No thats a very poor theory, full of holes. There were millions of people who died long before the gospels who knew nothing of Jesus, and there were millions who lived at the time who were no where close to where jesus was born and who had never heard anything about him. And why would god create people that he knew would never accept Christ anyway only to doom them to hell eternal?
            I take it you didn't read the essay, nor the other two links I posted, because your questions were directly addressed there in.

That doesn't answer the question concerning those people who had no knowledge of jesus and therefore had no belief in Jesus, unless your argument is that believing in Jesus is not a requirement of salvation.
            That's pretty much what I'm addressing, "Some instead take the view that everyone is judged on what knowledge they did come into contact with, and what they did with that knowledge, even if they were never formally evangelized in the name of Jesus."

Is belief in Jesus a requirement of salvation or not?
            The Bible does state that belief in Jesus leads to salvation, and Jesus himself states that no one comes to the Father except through him, but Jesus also states that those who seek after God will find him, and we also know from scripture that that there were many pre-Christ Jews (and Gentiles) who were also saved by faith, though they were limited in knowledge. This view is typically called the Inclusivist view, and it's not without its Christian opponents. For me, personally, I find the previous view more compelling, but, again, regardless, God is just and fair, and no one will come to Christ complaining that they didn't have enough to go on.

Comment

If you can't see and admit that either after reading his responses to my question, then you have a problem as well. At least Adrift was honest concerning what I was asking, even if his answer was a lousy one.
              The irony was because YOU have serious comprehension problems, Jim, as amply evidenced by the post you made just prior to that one.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I actually offered two ways in the post you were responding to.

I take it you didn't read the essay, nor the other two links I posted, because your questions were directly addressed there in.

That's pretty much what I'm addressing, "Some instead take the view that everyone is judged on what knowledge they did come into contact with, and what they did with that knowledge, even if they were never formally evangelized in the name of Jesus."

The Bible does state that belief in Jesus leads to salvation, and Jesus himself states that no one comes to the Father except through him, but Jesus also states that those who seek after God will find him, and we also know from scripture that that there were many pre-Christ Jews (and Gentiles) who were also saved by faith, though they were limited in knowledge. This view is typically called the Inclusivist view, and it's not without its Christian opponents. For me, personally, I find the previous view more compelling, but, again, regardless, God is just and fair, and no one will come to Christ complaining that they didn't have enough to go on.
                If you believe the bolded above, then it proves the case I've been making. Thank you.

Comment

The irony was because YOU have serious comprehension problems, Jim, as amply evidenced by the post you made just prior to that one.
                  No, you have comprehension problems, Adrifts post was non-biblical made up crap, as he himself showed in his next post.

Comment

If you believe the bolded above, then it proves the case I've been making. Thank you.
                    While the bible makes clear that belief in Jesus leads to salvation, the Inclusivist might argue that it isn't the only way, or that the completely ignorant may yet still respond to Christ through general (as opposed to "special") revelation of him. In other words, while they may not consciously know the actual name "Jesus", they believe in him in as much as they respond positively to those things they do know, and see in nature, or are written in their heart, and this counts towards belief in him. It's not a view, I, personally, find entirely compelling. I prefer Craig's Molinist view, since I think it makes a better argument, but it's not like these things have never been broached in Christian circles before. Again, regardless of where one stands on the issue, God is fair and just, and none will be able to come to him with excuse.

Comment

No, you have comprehension problems, Adrifts post was non-biblical made up crap, as he himself showed in his next post.
                      Which parts did you find non-Biblical? Because, both views do in fact cite scripture for their views.

Comment

I don't think JimL has actual comprehension problems. I think he is misreading and misunderstanding what Adrift and I have said on purpose.

Rather than just saying, "I understand what you are saying, but I disagree with it" - he has to pretend we didn't say what we said, and that we haven't answered his "objections" and questions, and twist what we have said into something we did not. Basically so he can burn a strawman.

Comment

As Adrift has made clear below, you have serious comprehension problems Sparko, either that or you are just being deliberately dishonest.
                          Is that a liberal thing or an atheist thing, Jim? Accusing others of what you are guilty of yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I don't think JimL has actual comprehension problems. I think he is misreading and misunderstanding what Adrift and I have said on purpose.

Rather than just saying, "I understand what you are saying, but I disagree with it" - he has to pretend we didn't say what we said, and that we haven't answered his "objections" and questions, and twist what we have said into something we did not. Basically so he can burn a strawman.
                            I don't think he's being that purposeful. That would take more effort than it's worth.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think he's being that purposeful. That would take more effort than it's worth.
                              Ignoring what people say and repeating himself? No effort at all.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think you're both right. It's likely he has comprehension issues, and is also being purposely cantankerous.

Comment