Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hugh Hefner is now in hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    There is no point in worshiping an evil god, excepting cowardice. If you want to worship a god, at least create a good one.
    The problem is that only good people can create a good god. Bad people will inevitably create a bad god.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Both. He thought that God would keep reincarnating people through immeasurable ages and universes, until every soul was fully morally transformed and universal perfection had been achieved. It's in De Principiis I think. I'll have to dig up my notes i took when reading it when I get home and find the passage for you.
      I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be considered a reincarnation, at least not as it's universally viewed. He theorized that people could fall away from and return to perfection multiple times, but they wouldn't be different "people" as in typical reincarnation.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Like Starlight, they choose for themselves.
        Starlight wants to live his life as though God doesn’t exist, but in case he’s wrong wants God to not care about his sins and simply letting him have reset after reset until he gets it just right. You can be the biggest psychopath in one lifetime and finally get it just right once and you’re all set. One has to wonder why such a God would care about the well being of anyone, but I doubt such a system is thought about on the logical level. It’s simply a peace of mind escape valve and not much else.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          There is no point in worshiping an evil god, excepting cowardice. If you want to worship a god, at least create a good one.
          You mean like creating one that could care less if you were a psychopathic murderer, but will instead give you reset after reset until you finally get it right?
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            It makes me sad you guys would worship a God who would send people to hell. Says a lot about you as people really.
            We send ourselves there. God saves us from it.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
              What do you all think about the Mormon version of an afterlife? I'm no Mormon, but in that version you're also judged for your actions, but there's no hell. Heaven vs. hell is more the difference between going to a decently nice place and being god of your own planet. It allows a god who doesn't cause eternal suffering as well as the moral imperative to act responsibly here on Earth.
              well if it were left up to men to make up their own afterlife, then of course there would be no hell. You would probably end up with something like mormonism, where you have various levels of heaven, a trailer park heaven where those who are not mormon or not good mormons go, a middle heaven for those who were fairly good mormons. And the upper level heaven for the mormon leaders and special ones, who get their own planets.

Although I think mormons do believe those who are really bad, like murderers and hitler and such just get destroyed.

Comment

Source: Issues That Make Christians Squirm

‘Suffering is God’s fault!’ we sneer, conveniently forgetting times our anger, greed and lies hurt others. Naturally, there is a degree of hurt we deem excusable, and for some suspicious reason the hurt we have inflicted happens to fall within the standard we arbitrarily set. It is like failing an exam and then moving the pass mark to make our score look good. A holy God could not be partner to such hypocrisy.

http://www.net-burst.net/hot/evil.htm#suf

© Copyright Original Source

Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post
                MM, I am well aware that most Christians take a theological position that God's standard of judgement is extremely strict - i.e. what I would describe as OCD and pathologically unreasonable and such that if a human judge were to give those sorts of judgments to criminals in our justice system we would immediately find serious fault with him and want him replaced. Again, I find that to be yet another reason for condemning your imagined God and you for worshiping him. A God with such insane and unreasonable standards does not meet my standards and fails abysmally in my judgement of him.

And, to comment on your quote, most suffering is indeed "God's fault" in the sense that naturally occurring suffering like pain, disease, illnesses, natural disasters etc cause more suffering than negative human actions like anger / greed / lies.
                It's cute how you think you're refuting the Grantley Morris quote when you're really just affirming it.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  OK, then who are resurrected in the judgement from the sea and death (Revelation 20:13)?

". . . the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: . . ."
                  From a literal perspective:
                  Cambridge Bible Commentary
                  Death gave up all the bodies of men, and hades their souls, to be united to their bodies. All, whether buried (death) or unburied (in the sea), are raised and judged.
                  But that interpretation is reading into the text. The dead are being resurrected explicitly from those three places in that text (Revelation 20:13). That text stands uniquely alone in its context (11-15).
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Like Starlight, they choose for themselves.
                    I like how CS Lewis put it, that the damned are successful rebels to the end, and that the doors of hell are locked on the inside, but the unrepentant are so far gone and corrupted by that point that they will never open them. They will simply exist in an eternal state of shame and misery, forever blaming God for their own wretchedness.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-29-2017, 08:19 AM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      But that interpretation is reading into the text. The dead are being resurrected explicitly from those three places in that text (Revelation 20:13). That text stands uniquely alone in its context (11-15).
                      It's a high context apocalyptic text. The readers would understand that those "buried at sea" were not considered actually buried. See here. Those in death were. Bodies were not in hades, so we have to look further into why "death and hades" are linked. Death is thought to claim the material portion of a person and Hades the immaterial portion. Dying on land and dying at sea were usually seen as different things, see the Didascalia Apostolorum for example.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        It's a high context apocalyptic text. The readers would understand that those "buried at sea" were not considered actually buried. See here. Those in death were. Bodies were not in hades, so we have to look further into why "death and hades" are linked. Death is thought to claim the material portion of a person and Hades the immaterial portion. Dying on land and dying at sea were usually seen as different things, see the Didascalia Apostolorum for example.
                        Fine. The context says, ". . . the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them." There was no longer that sea of the earth. Nor those dead bodies in what ever way they had exist in the earth. . . ." v.11. Those bodily resurrections and Judgement takes place between worlds (Genesis 1:1 and Revelation 21;1).
                        Last edited by 37818; 09-29-2017, 11:08 AM.
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Good riddance. He died today but the Internet killed him a long time ago.
                          Hallelujah!! Smoke of fire of his rises up for ever and ever!!!
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I find it ironic that they claim he spurred the sexual revolution, yet what he did was sexually exploit young women and turn them into objects and literal play things. So much for sexual equality.
                            Why do you think feminism/egalitarianism ever become serious movement? Guys wanted to loosen morals, have sex with girls, that's why!!!
                            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              You mean like creating one that could care less if you were a psychopathic murderer, but will instead give you reset after reset until you finally get it right?
                              If Hitler accepted Jesus right before he committed suicide, would he have gone to heaven?
                              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                                If Hitler accepted Jesus right before he committed suicide, would he have gone to heaven?
                                If Hitler accepted Jesus, he wouldn't have committed suicide.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X