Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Baseball, and to a lesser extent, football are "national pastimes". It's "an American thing".... It was kind of unifying.... kinda like, "OK, your team is Georgia and mine is from Texas, but we're ALL Americans".

I don't guess an outsider would get that.
    It also was used in WW1 as a way to honor our troops. In fact, it seems that doing so actually helped to make the Star Spangled Banner the National Anthem as it was mostly an anthem for the Army and Navy before that.

http://time.com/4955623/history-nati...em-sports-nfl/

So I think that is why Trump is so upset and claiming that they are disrespecting our troops by kneeling to the Anthem.
    Last edited by Sparko; 10-18-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Meanwhile, in spite of the new tactic of no longer showing the protesting players (after they already quit showing all of the booing fans) by going to a commercial break during the playing of the national anthem viewership continues its downward spiral.

Source: What protests? Worried NFL TV networks ignore kneeling players in Week 6

You can't blame the NFL TV partners for being worried. Through Week 5, the NFL TV numbers were down 7.2 percent, according to Nielsen data. That drop came on top of a 7 percent downturn last season. Through Week 5 of the 2017 season, NFL games averaged 15.2 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That’s down 7.42 percent from an average of 16.371 million viewers through the same period of the 2016 season, and 18 percent down from the average of 18.438 million viewers through the first five weeks of the 2015 season

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The story goes on to say that Week 6 witnessed a "mixed reviews" but Deadline Hollywood notes

Source: ‘Monday Night Football’ Ratings Fall To Season Low As Titans Break Colts’ Streak

In a season stained by overall ratings declines and political controversy, that NFL Week 6 rating is down 13% from the early numbers of the much tighter October 9 matchup between the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears. That MNF season low went on to deliver a 3.7 rating among adults 18-49 and a total viewership of 10.3 million. It’s worth noting that the peek of last week’s MNF came at halftime on the Disney-owned cabler when the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer debuted.

Source

The two year long protest is taking a heavy toll.

My brother, who often goes to various sports bars to grab a bite to eat with his friends, mentioned that he hardly sees anyone wearing NFL jerseys there any more. The fans are getting fed up.
      Keep in mind that even that MNF audience low looks pretty good compared to other numbers - late night comedy, for example:
      Source: From Carson to Kimmel

[Jimmy Kimmel's] impassioned monologues on health care - originally occasioned by the illness of his little son, Billy - and gun control have won media accolades. A CNN piece even deemed him "America's conscience." The press is nice puffery, but what matters to his employer is the ratings, which are notably up.

Stephen Colbert of CBS blazed this particular trail with increasingly over-the-top denunciations of President Trump that vaulted him to the top of the late-night ratings. Jimmy Fallon, the heir to Carson's "Tonight Show" via Jay Leno, has pointedly declined to make his show the New York Times editorial page with a few jokes attached, and has seen ratings decline.

It is important to note that these shows are competing for numbers that once would have been considered catastrophic. Carson could pull in 9 million viewers when one of his shows popped; he averaged 19 million viewers a night his final week on air in 1992.

Stephen Colbert is winning the late-night race with 3 million viewers.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/1017/lowry101717.php3

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So I think that is why Trump is so upset and claiming that they are disrespecting our troops by kneeling to the Anthem.
        That doesn't match my admittedly remote view of DJT. I'd be more inclined to think he's upset because he considers they're dishonouring him.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          That doesn't match my admittedly remote view of DJT. I'd be more inclined to think he's upset because he considers they're dishonouring him.
          You say that like you think Trump is full of himself, or something.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

More like, Trump saw a chance to stick it to the NFL (which rejected him twice as an owner, and managed to get his alternative USFL league shut down), and took it.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You can't remember what you've written, even though it's on the screen in front of you, and you think I'm confused?????
              Sorry, kiddo, but I showed you the claim I originally made.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Keep in mind that even that MNF audience low looks pretty good compared to other numbers - late night comedy, for example:
                Source: From Carson to Kimmel

[Jimmy Kimmel's] impassioned monologues on health care - originally occasioned by the illness of his little son, Billy - and gun control have won media accolades. A CNN piece even deemed him "America's conscience." The press is nice puffery, but what matters to his employer is the ratings, which are notably up.

Stephen Colbert of CBS blazed this particular trail with increasingly over-the-top denunciations of President Trump that vaulted him to the top of the late-night ratings. Jimmy Fallon, the heir to Carson's "Tonight Show" via Jay Leno, has pointedly declined to make his show the New York Times editorial page with a few jokes attached, and has seen ratings decline.

It is important to note that these shows are competing for numbers that once would have been considered catastrophic. Carson could pull in 9 million viewers when one of his shows popped; he averaged 19 million viewers a night his final week on air in 1992.

Stephen Colbert is winning the late-night race with 3 million viewers.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/1017/lowry101717.php3

More competition but then a larger population that tends to stay up later.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Wow, I had no idea that late night viewership was so miniscule.

Comment

That would really be a stretch, Roy.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, his constant calling others "dummy", "idiot", "moron""...... has your stamp of approval.

So noted.
                      As opposed to CP’s constant sneering you mean? Your scattering of cute emojis doesn’t disguise your essential pettiness.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

That's a totally irrelevant point,
                        It’s a totally relevant point. MLK’s protests against police brutality and discrimination were denounced as communistic at the time. Just as the NFL protests are denounced as disrespecting the flag today...an attempt in both instances, to deflect from the real issue of racism.

at which you seem to excel.
                        Sigh! See my previous post re “sneering”.

MLK has already gone down in history for his great successes....
                        He wasn’t seen as such at the time by the likes of you. He was hated, hence his assassination.

these NFL rebels? They make it all about themselves. Their message is getting lost in their drama.
                        The NFL ‘rebels” have overtly stated that their protest is about police brutality and discrimination, but you know better what's on their mind apparently.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          It’s a totally relevant point. MLK’s protests against police brutality and discrimination were denounced as communistic at the time.
                          Absolutely totally irrelevant - he kept on, focused on his mission. The NFL rebels have the same option.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• From SportingNews....

Three weeks ago, the NFL's partner TV networks refused to show angry fans booing protesting players. Now, these worried networks are refusing to show any protests during the national anthem at all.

The TV partners flushed players' historic social justice protests down the memory hole in Week 6.

Protests? What protests?
                            The rebels are going to have to do something even more dramatic to get the individual attention they crave.

Comment

Absolutely totally irrelevant - he kept on, focused on his mission. The NFL rebels have the same option.
                              Yes, MLK kept focused on his mission against police brutality and discrimination, despite false allegations as to his motives, just as the NFL players are remaining focused. Especially since Trump inadvertently injected new energy into their cause with his intemperate "SOB's" outburst to his white audience in Alabama.

Comment

From SportingNews....

The rebels are going to have to do something even more dramatic to get the individual attention they crave.
                                As the saying goes, you can't un-ring a bell. Even if the networks refuse to show it, we still know it's happening, and they're going to continuet to lose ratings and revenue.

Comment