Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    It is a lousy way to protest. Nobody will listen to the message if you are just pissing them off.
    Maybe people are pissed off because they've heard the message.

Comment

• Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        That would take a coherent message and an unambiguous delivery, neither of which are happening here.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

People are pissed off because NFL players are disrespecting the Flag and National Anthem.

Comment

People are pissed off because NFL players are disrespecting the Flag and National Anthem.
            ...whether the players intended to or not. Sort of like when a conservative says something that a liberal finds offensive, whether or not the conservative intended it that way.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              ...whether the players intended to or not. Sort of like when a conservative says something that a liberal finds offensive, whether or not the conservative intended it that way.
              But the NFL player know they are pissing off the fans. If their goal is to convince their fans and others that their cause is a just one, pissing them off isn't working. They are not helping their cause at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Eh, not quite. Liberals can find even the most innocuous comment offensive whereas the football players really are disrespecting the flag and everything it stands for. That was the whole point of Kaepernick's protest, so for other players to follow his example without fully grasping the implications makes them seem like the dumb jock stereotype.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The one built on the totally false narrative?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• It should be noted that the player who started the protest, Colin Kaepernick, quite specifically stated that the flag was a target of his protest stating back on August 26, 2016 (about a month before he started kneeling during the National Anthem):

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

So the players and liberals can pretend all they want that this has nothing whatsoever to do with protesting the flag or that it wasn't the target of the protests but the fact is that it was at the core of the protest from its inception

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      It should be noted that the player who started the protest, Colin Kaepernick, quite specifically stated that the flag was a target of his protest stating back on August 26, 2016 (about a month before he started kneeling during the National Anthem):

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

So the players and liberals can pretend all they want that this has nothing whatsoever to do with protesting the flag or that it wasn't the target of the protests but the fact is that it was at the core of the protest from its inception
                      Kaepernick and the NFL players are protesting that “justice for all”, which is what the flag stands for, is not being honoured. They believe that blacks are the victims of discrimination and police brutality. The fact that you choose not to understand this and prefer to cast it as “blacks disrespecting the flag”, doesn’t detract from its reality.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Strange how whether or not someone believes that depends upon their political identification.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          The one built on the totally false narrative?
                          There's nothing false about many high-profile cases of police shooting dead black men in contentious circumstances.

Comment

There's nothing false about many high-profile cases of police shooting dead black men in contentious circumstances.
                            The whole "hands up don't shoot" think is bogus. I thought you were a little more concerned about facts than fantasy.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Except there aren't "many" and they're only high-profile because the media magnifies them all out of proportion.

I don't recall any stories of police using dead black men for target practice, though.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Kaepernick and the NFL players are protesting that “justice for all”, which is what the flag stands for, is not being honoured. They believe that blacks are the victims of discrimination and police brutality. The fact that you choose not to understand this and prefer to cast it as “blacks disrespecting the flag”, doesn’t detract from its reality.
                                Well, at least its sinking in that the flag was in fact the target in spite of all the denials being sputtered now.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment