Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Source: Ravens, NFL scramble as fans stay home

It seems paradoxical: The Ravens, who have sold out every home game since they arrived in Baltimore in 1996, are advertising tickets for Sunday’s contest at M&T Bank Stadium.

But this is where the Ravens find themselves in 2017: Contemplating the prospect of empty seats, and appealing to fans to “Win Together. Purchase your tickets today!” even as the team is contending for what would be its first playoff berth since 2014.

Thousands of fans are trying to resell their tickets to the sold-out game Sunday against the Detroit Lions at 71,000-seat M&T Bank Stadium via Ticketmaster, the team’s official resale outlet, or StubHub. Seats were available this week in almost every section; an $80 ticket for an upper end zone seat could be had for as little as $29.

Every week, some ticket holders must miss the game. But the NFL is laboring across the board this season to maintain its fan base and minimize no-shows. It’s not just the Ravens. Television ratings are down league-wide and empty seats can be seen at many games.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Perhaps Baltimore needs jimmy to tell them they have it all wrong and everything is peachy-keen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25198[/ATTACH]
    And now it appears that Fox is looking to hire "fake fans": FOX seeks actors to be Los Angeles Rams fans for Eagles game

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And now it appears that Fox is looking to hire "fake fans": FOX seeks actors to be Los Angeles Rams fans for Eagles game
      This appears to be aimed more at getting Rams fans to act for various roles and be the crowd for a pregame show, not a call for actors to pretend to be Rams fans. Pay more attention to the "casting call" and less to the hostile Philly spin on it.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• TV Ratings: More Fatigue for 'Sunday Night Football'

Sunday's super-slim 39-38 victory for the Pittsburgh Steelers over the Baltimore Ravens was the biggest thing going for broadcast on Sunday night.

NBC's latest Sunday Night Football averaged an 11.6 overnight rating among households. Before time zone adjustments, it easily won the night — topping even the midwinter finale of AMC's The Walking Dead. But, stacked against a season high for the same week a year ago, the game suffered a pretty steep drop.

The Steelers' win was down 30 percent from the huge Giants-Cowboys game a year ago. And, even with such a tight matchup, this week's marquee primetime game was down 11 percent.
        But, it's OK - no problem whatsoever!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          This appears to be aimed more at getting Rams fans to act for various roles and be the crowd for a pregame show, not a call for actors to pretend to be Rams fans. Pay more attention to the "casting call" and less to the hostile Philly spin on it.
          Oops. The singular naughty swine isn't wrong here.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oops. The singular naughty swine isn't wrong here.
            Even a blind hog.....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              TV Ratings: More Fatigue for 'Sunday Night Football'

The stadium was packed CP. How do you explain that? Ratings for all sports have been falling, as well as for all other entertainment shows on TV. People have many more alternatives now, but the NFL is still doing just fine thank you which anyone can see by the above. They easily won the overnight ratings. So much for the great conservative boycott!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                TV Ratings: More Fatigue for 'Sunday Night Football'

Comparing the ratings for this particular night to the season high for last year isn't likely to make this night look good. Further, the tight outcome has nothing to do with determining how many people were watching the game. Lastly, the Ryan Shazier injury last week (after making a tackle, he could not move his legs and had to be carried off the field on a board - good news is he has regained lower body movement) may have caused some people to reconsider watching any more.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  The stadium was packed CP. How do you explain that? Ratings for all sports have been falling, as well as for all other entertainment shows on TV. People have many more alternatives now, but the NFL is still doing just fine thank you which anyone can see by the above. They easily won the overnight ratings. So much for the great conservative boycott!
                  The Ravens-Steelers rivalry may be the most intense in football, and the home cities for the teams aren't that far apart. Further, the Steelers have sold out every home game since 1972. Things would have to be dire indeed for the NFL to have a noticeable effect on the attendance at that particular match.

sigpic

Comment

The Ravens-Steelers rivalry may be the most intense in football, and the home cities for the teams aren't that far apart. Further, the Steelers have sold out every home game since 1972. Things would have to be dire indeed for the NFL to have a noticeable effect on the attendance at that particular match.
                    So, you're saying that the boycotters aren't all that principled, and that whether or not they decide to boycott the game depends upon the rivalry, or how good the teams are?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      So, you're saying that the boycotters aren't all that principled, and that whether or not they decide to boycott the game depends upon the rivalry, or how good the teams are?
                      I don't think there's a very identifiable set of boycotters. Some conservatives may have quit watching because of the kneeling, though it doesn't happen at every game. On the other hand, there are some liberal blacks who have quit watching, calling it the "N----- For Lease". At least part of it is that people just don't watch as much television as they used to, and some have quit watching because of the danger of concussions. Teams like the Steelers who have an especially large and dedicated fanbase will be impacted somewhat less by all that than teams which have historically struggled to fill stadiums.

sigpic

Comment

• Apparently tickets for the upcoming Redskins game are not only still available but are selling for as low as $6 a seat. That's about what a beer costs there. I don't think they were even that cheap when I lived up there in the late 60s early 70s.

Comment

Apparently tickets for the upcoming Redskins game are not only still available but are selling for as low as $6 a seat. I don't think they were even that cheap when I lived up there in the late 60s early 70s.
                          Keep in mind that 1) the Redskins are out of the playoffs, 2) their O-line has been a hot mess, so they struggle to move the ball, 3) they're playing a small-market West Coast(ish) team 4) which is also banged up and unlikely to make the playoffs. ETA: Oh, and it's cold outside, too, (for the area) and the game's being played in an open stadium.

You can get Browns tickets for dirt cheap, too.

On the other end of the spectrum, people are hawking counterfeit tickets to the Steelers-Patriots game tomorrow.

sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind that 1) the Redskins are out of the playoffs, 2) their O-line has been a hot mess, so they struggle to move the ball, 3) they're playing a small-market West Coast(ish) team 4) which is also banged up and unlikely to make the playoffs.
                            Washington was always a team that had huge turnouts even when they had a bad year. This year they're 3rd in their division. And at this point in the year every team is pretty well banged up. Always have been
                            Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            ETA: Oh, and it's cold outside, too, (for the area) and the game's being played in an open stadium.
                            As they have ever since the Redskins started playing football. Never a problem in the past.
                            Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            You can get Browns tickets for dirt cheap, too.
                            This isn't an indictment of the Redskins but rather yet another sign of how much trouble the NFL finds themself in this year.

Comment

Washington was always a team that had huge turnouts even when they had a bad year. This year they're 3rd in their division. And at this point in the year every team is pretty well banged up. Always have been

As they have ever since the Redskins started playing football. Never a problem in the past.

This isn't an indictment of the Redskins but rather yet another sign of how much trouble the NFL finds themself in this year.

Comment

I suspect you simply haven't paying that much attention to them lately. They're what, 30 years or so removed from a title? The current owner has done a bang-up job of alienating fans, and they've been reduced to advertising for season tickets lately. The kerfuffle over their name in this overwhelmingly liberal area may have something to do with the drop as well.
                                That may well have something to do with it, but Cleveland has been even worse than usual lately, having won a single game last year (and they may not get even that this year), and they are a small-market team in the Rust Belt.

sigpic

Comment