Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    We will see. The same thing happened under Martin Luther King and his Freedom Marches, but they eventually managed to effect significant changes.
    MLK wasn't disrespecting his country.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Only a short-sighted fool could not have anticipated the reaction from all but the far left fringe. ...
      I am surprised and disappointed by the reaction. It's not just the far left fringe that is not undergoing jingoistic apoplexy. The libertarian fringe, which is closer to my perspective, also is not particularly offended.

Until now, I had not realized the gap between conservative and libertarian was so wide on such issues.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I'm impressed that you can cram so much wrong into so little text.
        This is that one time in ten thousand that I pretty much agree with Jimmy.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Because I am against their protest, not against free speech, dumbass. Not to mention you don't have a right to free speech within a business. Your company can fire you over your speech when you are on their time, or speaking on matters that impact their business. The NFL don't really have a right to free speech while on the job.
          Judge Andrew My Cousin Vinny Napolitano's view on that.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            I am surprised and disappointed by the reaction. It's not just the far left fringe that is not undergoing jingoistic apoplexy. The libertarian fringe, which is closer to my perspective, also is not particularly offended.

Until now, I had not realized the gap between conservative and libertarian was so wide on such issues.
            As a libertarian (small "l"), I beg to differ. While the players are certainly within their rights to protest (which is where I profoundly disagree with Trump) the public has just as much right to be disgusted by their actions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As a libertarian (small "l"), I beg to differ. While the players are certainly within their rights to protest (which is where I profoundly disagree with Trump)
              Agreed!

the public has just as much right to be disgusted by their actions.
              Certainly! Provided the public understands what the actions are about. But “the public” seems to be “disgusted” by something the players are not doing, namely insulting the flag. Their stated intention is to protest against racial injustice, not protest the flag.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              MLK wasn't disrespecting his country.
              MLK was accused of promoting communism, when what he was doing was protesting against racial injustice...just as the NFL players are doing. In both instances, the white majority denied the existence of racial injustice, preferring to attribute anti-American sentiments instead.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

As a libertarian (small "l"), I beg to differ. While the players are certainly within their rights to protest (which is where I profoundly disagree with Trump) the public has just as much right to be disgusted by their actions.
                Of course the public has that right. I'm just surprised so many have such a strong reaction. I can see being uncomfortable or annoyed. "Disgust" and similar strong terms surprise and puzzle me.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                  We will see. The same thing happened under Martin Luther King and his Freedom Marches, but they eventually managed to effect significant changes.
                  Are you really trying to compare pampered millionaire football players petulantly kneeling before going out to play a game, to Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights matches of the 60s? Really?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Are you really trying to compare pampered millionaire football players petulantly kneeling before going out to play a game, to Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights matches of the 60s? Really?
                    Yes!

The "pampered millionaire football players" weren't born into millionaire families in most cases, nor are their extended families and peers pampered millionaires. All would have friends and family who have been subject to racial injustice,
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

MLK was way smarter than the current flock of "rebels". You must have flunked history badly. MLK did nothing to disgrace his country or our flag.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

that

And in a case where the huge amounts of money are involved, it can hit them in the pocketbook. Again - they are free to protest - they are NOT free from suffering the consequences.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes!

The "pampered millionaire football players" weren't born into millionaire families in most cases, nor are their extended families and peers pampered millionaires. All would have friends and family who have been subject to racial injustice,
                            They get paid big bucks to be a TEAM and win games. The people who pay to watch them be a TEAM have a right to stop paying. That's how this works.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              Of course the public has that right. I'm just surprised so many have such a strong reaction. I can see being uncomfortable or annoyed. "Disgust" and similar strong terms surprise and puzzle me.
                              When it's impossible to get away from liberalism even during leisurely non-partisan activities it's not surprising at all that they would react this strongly.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                MLK was way smarter than the current flock of "rebels". You must have flunked history badly. MLK did nothing to disgrace his country or our flag.
                                To be fair, MLK was dealing with a pretty racist country that wouldn't have put up with this kind of thing. As in, there would have been violence over these stunts. So he knew he had no choice but to be polite. Conversely, today it's impossible to be a reasonable black activist because there is no more reasonable causes to fight for, only unreasonable ones like "Black people shouldn't be punished for beating you into the ground". When your cause is this stupid and evil the protests themselves will be stupid and evil.
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment