Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Certainly! Provided the public understands what the actions are about. But “the public” seems to be “disgusted” by something the players are not doing, namely insulting the flag. Their stated intention is to protest against racial injustice, not protest the flag.
    Typical liberal reaction to when the public is repulsed by their actions. The public is just too stupid to understand.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      I am surprised and disappointed by the reaction. It's not just the far left fringe that is not undergoing jingoistic apoplexy. The libertarian fringe, which is closer to my perspective, also is not particularly offended.

Until now, I had not realized the gap between conservative and libertarian was so wide on such issues.
      Libertarians don't care much about loyalty. News at 11!!!
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        MLK was way smarter than the current flock of "rebels".
        Yes, he kept commieness of his more hidden.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          To be fair, MLK was dealing with a pretty racist country that wouldn't have put up with this kind of thing. As in, there would have been violence over these stunts.
          You mean like the violent reaction to the Olympic athletes who gave the black power salute during an award ceremony in Mexico City as the American national anthem was played? Oh wait.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            You mean like the violent reaction to the Olympic athletes who gave the black power salute during an award ceremony in Mexico City as the American national anthem was played? Oh wait.
            In a foreign country. And even there they had things thrown at them and their careers ended over it.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

In a foreign country.
              In a way that makes it worse.
              Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              And even there they had things thrown at them and their careers ended over it.
              Not too many careers running a 200 meter race

Comment

In a way that makes it worse.
                It makes it much harder for thugs to start stuff there since I doubt most could even afford plane tickets to Mexico. The crowd there was considerably more enraged and engaged than today, where at best they might not come to future games.

Not too many careers running a 200 meter race
                If you're not top tier, no. But that's not applicable here.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It makes it much harder for thugs to start stuff there since I doubt most could even afford plane tickets to Mexico. The crowd there was considerably more enraged and engaged than today, where at best they might not come to future games.
                  It has long been considered more egregious to go to foreign soil to protest the U.S. than to do so here.

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  If you're not top tier, no. But that's not applicable here.
                  How many jobs are there running 200 meters for top tier runners -- especially in 1968?

You're the one who said it ended their "careers."

Comment

Typical liberal reaction to when the public is repulsed by their actions. The public is just too stupid to understand.
                    Well certainly the white audience in Alabama was “repulsed” when Trump attacked NFL players who have kneeled, what else would you expect from this sort of audience? But they are not the “majority”.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-how-you-ask/

Also, they tend not to be the victims of police violence and racism, whereas the blacks are.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    MLK was way smarter than the current flock of "rebels". You must have flunked history badly. MLK did nothing to disgrace his country or our flag.
                    They’re not “rebels” and their protest is not about the flag, their stated intention is protest against racial injustice...just as was MLK’s.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Well certainly the white audience in Alabama was “repulsed” when Trump attacked NFL players who have kneeled, what else would you expect from this sort of audience? But they are not the “majority”.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...n-how-you-ask/

Also, they tend not to be the victims of police violence and racism, whereas the blacks are.

They’re not “rebels” and their protest is not about the flag, their stated intention is protest against racial injustice...just as was MLK’s.
                      Sorry Tass. I know you are really desperate to pretend its just a bunch of Hillary's basket of deplorables who were repulsed by the multi-millionaire athlete's petulance but several polls revealed that by a 2 to 1 margin the American public opposes them in this. That was why the MSM tried so darn hard to spike the story (and in some cases their own polls) claiming that the public was "divided" and such and only mentioning that they also rejected Trump interjecting himself into the controversy.

And again, multiple studies have repeatedly shown that a white person is considerably more likely to be shot and killed in a confrontation with police than a black person resulting in more research trying to explain why this is the case[1]. So much for victims of police racism especially considering that your racist police are often black.

1. prominent explanations are that the police are more restrained in dealing with blacks knowing how it gets portrayed to the police in predominantly white areas don't have as much experience handling aggressively hostile people and tend to over-react.
                      Last edited by rogue06; 10-16-2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                        Libertarians don't care much about loyalty. News at 11!!!
                        Most of my best real-life friends are Republican, conservative, and evangelical (or Pentecostal).

A lot of my family is Democrat, moderate, and Lutheran (ELCA).

I don't know that I have any real-life libertarian associates. Even I myself am more conservatarian than libertarian, once my foreign policy attitudes are considered.

I said all that to set this up: Most of what I know about libertarians comes from TV and the Internet. ISTM that in general, libertarians have loyalty or fidelity to their beliefs. Those beliefs include a high regard for individual conscience, and a low regard for collectivism, and for authority structures that would restrict individual conscience. Those latter things could be viewed by some as a lack of "loyalty." I'm not sure libertarians themselves would see them as such, just as many do not see the kneelers as being unpatriotic or disrespectful.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Sorry Tass. I know you are really desperate to pretend its just a bunch of Hillary's basket of deplorables who were repulsed by the multi-millionaire athlete's petulance
                          Interesting that you dismiss their stated intention in protesting racial injustice as “the multi-millionaire athlete's petulance”. But of course, you know better than the players why they’re doing it. What would they know? <sarcasm>

but several polls revealed that by a 2 to 1 margin the American public opposes them in this. That was why the MSM tried so darn hard to spike the story (and in some cases their own polls) claiming that the public was "divided" and such and only mentioning that they also rejected Trump interjecting himself into the controversy.
                          So you are adopting Trump’s tactics: “Everybody says..."

It is the likes of you and Trump trying “so darn hard to spike the story”, not MSM. I can’t find these studies of yours. Every study I’ve seen says there are “Stark divisions...among respondents across different racial and ethnic groups. Three-quarters of African Americans said NFL player protests were respectful, while a majority of white Americans— 55 percent — said the demonstrations were disrespectful". That's hardly the "vast majority" as you claim.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...-nfl-protests/

And again, multiple studies have repeatedly shown that a white person is considerably more likely to be shot and killed in a confrontation with police than a black person resulting in more research trying to explain why this is the case[1]. So much for victims of police racism especially considering that your racist police are often black.
                          Yeah, right: “everybody says...”

“Black Americans are more than twice as likely as white Americans to be killed by police officers.1 Researchers agree that racism almost certainly plays a role in that disparity”.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...led-by-police/
                          Last edited by Tassman; 10-16-2017, 05:18 AM.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Yes, let's ignore the multiple studies showing that blacks are disproportionately more likely to engage in criminal activity, that blacks are more likely to be armed, and that blacks are more likely to take a shot at police, yet despite all this, it's WHITES who are disproportionately more likely to be shot by police.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5...-aaron-bandler
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Yes, let's ignore the multiple studies showing that blacks are disproportionately more likely to engage in criminal activity, that blacks are more likely to be armed, and that blacks are more likely to take a shot at police, yet despite all this, it's WHITES who are disproportionately more likely to be shot by police.
                              What your source actually says:
                              Source: http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

According to data compiled by The Washington Post, 50 percent of the victims of fatal police shootings were white, while 26 percent were black. ... Some may argue that these statistics are evidence of racist treatment toward blacks, since whites consist of 62 percent of the population and blacks make up 13 percent of the population.

© Copyright Original Source

So whites are disproportionately less likely to be shot by police, 50% vs 62%.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

They’re not “rebels”
                                Yup, they are.

and their protest is not about the flag, their stated intention is protest against racial injustice...just as was MLK’s.
                                He was successful. They're wrong. They are "all about me", pretending to be for a cause. It's not working. It's bringing attention to THEMSELVES, not any cause. You even have some of your less intelligent colleagues claiming they're "saving lives".

You guys are deranged.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment