Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    The stadium was packed CP. How do you explain that? Ratings for all sports have been falling, as well as for all other entertainment shows on TV. People have many more alternatives now, but the NFL is still doing just fine thank you which anyone can see by the above. They easily won the overnight ratings. So much for the great conservative boycott!
    It turns out that the fans of most teams lean Democrat.

paine-enten-nfl-politics-4.jpg
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• If anyone doubts the extreme fan base of the Pittsburgh Steelers, I deployed with the 171st ARW based out of Pittsburgh and here is an unofficial patch from there website:

https://media.defense.gov/2015/Feb/0...-HAV35-523.JPG

Their tails even have that painted on next to the Pennsylvania near the top of the tail.

Based on working with them... I can see Steelers fans being among the most dedicated in football.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-21-2017, 11:33 PM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• You can cherry pick a few games this year where attendance was decent, but the evidence is clear that overall attendance, television ratings, and merchandise sales have been disastrous for the NFL.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• With the NFL going into self-destruct mode, it looks like Vince McMahon is planning to resurrect the XFL:

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...urrecting-xfl/

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            If anyone doubts the extreme fan base of the Pittsburgh Steelers, I deployed with the 171st ARW based out of Pittsburgh and here is an unofficial patch from there website:

https://media.defense.gov/2015/Feb/0...-HAV35-523.JPG

Their tails even have that painted on next to the Pennsylvania near the top of the tail.

Based on working with them... I can see Steelers fans being among the most dedicated in football.
            While the Steelers have popularized the hypocycloids, they didn't come up with the design; it was created by the steel industry to promote American steel.

But yeah, Terrible Towels have been just about everywhere on earth, and even in space.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              You can cherry pick a few games this year where attendance was decent, but the evidence is clear that overall attendance, television ratings, and merchandise sales have been disastrous for the NFL.
              More like, you can cherry pick a few games this year where attendance was abysmal. If you want to magnify that perception, you can take pictures of the stands right after half-time, when people are still going to the bathroom or getting food, and the stadium looks half-empty. Attendance, ratings, and sales have been down, but have hardly been disastrous; the salary cap is still projected to increase significantly next season.

sigpic

Comment

The stadium was packed CP. How do you explain that? Ratings for all sports have been falling, as well as for all other entertainment shows on TV. People have many more alternatives now, but the NFL is still doing just fine thank you which anyone can see by the above. They easily won the overnight ratings. So much for the great conservative boycott!
                Um...

Source: NBA enjoying ratings surge while NFL flounders

While the NFL gets socked with ratings declines, the NBA is off to its second-most-watched season ever.

ESPN, which has telecast 30 games since the season’s Oct. 17 opener, said Thursday that average viewership has soared 18 percent, to 1.8 million a game, from this point last year.

TNT, with 16 NBA telecasts to date, said its average is up 25 percent, to 2.1 million viewers. Even NBA TV, with 41 telecasts, is up 25 percent, to 365,000.

The averages, taken collectively, make for the hottest start since the 2010-11 season — the year LeBron James abandoned the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

And yet another excuse crashes and burns around jimmy's pointed little head.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Source: Breitbart

Facing the Prospect of Further Ratings Decline, the NFL Cancels ‘Sunday Night Football’ for Week 17

As CNN reports, the last time the NFL held a SNF game on New Year’s Eve, it did not go well.

“The last time the NFL held a Sunday night football game on New Year’s Eve was in 2006, when the Chicago Bears hosted the Green Bay Packers. It was quarterback Brett Favre’s last game with the Packers (and widely expected to be his last game ever). Still, only 13.4 million people watched that game, about a quarter fewer than the average Sunday Night Football game that season.”

Not only did that game tank in what was thought to be Brett Favre’s final appearance, that was back when the NFL’s ratings were good. Imagine how badly a New Year’s Eve SNF game would do in 2017, with no Brett Favre and terrible ratings?

To put in perspective how bad the ratings have been for NBC’s SNF, the Christmas Eve edition of SNF, tied a 6-year low in the ratings. The week before that, saw a 35% percent ratings drop from the previous year.

With that kind of “momentum,” it’s easy to understand why NBC would want to save itself from what would have been a massive ratings embarrassment.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...tball-week-17/

But don't worry, folks, everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Um...

Source: NBA enjoying ratings surge while NFL flounders

While the NFL gets socked with ratings declines, the NBA is off to its second-most-watched season ever.

ESPN, which has telecast 30 games since the season’s Oct. 17 opener, said Thursday that average viewership has soared 18 percent, to 1.8 million a game, from this point last year.

TNT, with 16 NBA telecasts to date, said its average is up 25 percent, to 2.1 million viewers. Even NBA TV, with 41 telecasts, is up 25 percent, to 365,000.

The averages, taken collectively, make for the hottest start since the 2010-11 season — the year LeBron James abandoned the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.

Source

And yet another excuse crashes and burns around jimmy's pointed little head.
                    From Bloomberg News

Source: NBA’s TV Ratings Are Up, and NFL’s Are Down, Even on Christmas Day

The National Basketball Association’s annual Christmas games delivered some of their most successful overnight ratings in recent history. The league’s five games Monday, spread across ESPN, ABC and TNT, averaged a 3.35 overnight rating, up about 20 percent from last year’s Christmas games.

The early evening game on ABC -- Oklahoma City 112, Houston 107 -- drew a 4.1 overnight rating, the league’s highest for a prime-time Christmas game since 2003. In a rematch of last season’s championship, earlier in the day and also on ABC, the Golden State Warriors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 99-92. The game drew a 5.5 overnight rating, making it the fifth-best Christmas game on the network.

The NBA was also up against a pair of National Football League games. Unlike the NBA, which is working hard to fix its place in Christmas tradition, the NFL only plays on Dec. 25 every few years, depending what day of the week it is.

The prime-time NFL game on ESPN, a showdown between the Philadelphia Eagles and Oakland Raiders, drew a 6.7 overnight rating, down about 9 percent compared with the average Monday Night Football game this year.

Source

But as jimmy keeps saying

Yup

Everything is just peachy

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd

Comment

• Source: Breitbart

Following a regular season where most NFL fans decided they had better things to do on Sunday afternoons than watch football; it appears those same fans still have better things to do on Saturdays and Sundays in the postseason.

The first round of playoffs suffered double-digit ratings drops, as the NFL begins the most important part of its calendar year, Awful Announcing reported.

Saturday’s Tennessee Titans-Kansas City Chiefs game didn’t deliver for ESPN or ABC, losing two full ratings points over last year’s game. The game drew a 14.7 overnight rating compared to last years 16.6 for the Houston Texans-L.A. Raiders game. It was the worst rating since 2012, Awful Announcing said.

Later that evening, the Atlanta Falcons-Los Angeles Rams game did only a little better, seeing a similar if not quite as bad ratings loss.

According to SportsTVRatings, the Falcons-Rams game lost 10 percent over last year’s game.

[...]

Sunday’s Jacksonville Jaguars-Buffalo Bills matchup earned better ratings than the Saturday games, but it was still a 21 percent loss over the 2016 season’s game, Josh Carpenter noted.

“Fox drew a 20.4 rating yesterday for Saints-Panthers, down 21% from a 25.9 last year in same window (Giants-Packers). CBS drew a 17.2 for Jags-Bills, down 10% from last year (Steelers-Dolphins),” Carpenter wrote.

These Wild Card game ratings come after a season of some of the worst ratings in NFL history. By some estimates, the 2017 regular NFL season is down nearly 10 points from 2016.

It should be noted that the 2016 season itself saw an 8 percent tumble over the numbers from 2015; with the sports media claiming it was all due to a raucous 2016 presidential election season.

But with the 2016 election long ago decided, one wonders what their excuse is for this year.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018...tched-5-years/

And since these are currently the top-rated teams in the league, dopes like Jimmy can't use the "Nobody cares about these teams" excuse.

Comment

• Actually, MM, these are the teams (except for the 4 very best teams) which had the best records during the season - not necessarily those with the largest followings. Except for the Falcons and Saints, those are all small-market teams (well, the Rams are in a large market, but just moved from a small market and aren't well-established in LA yet). Fewer people are watching, but for a multitude of reasons:

Source: survey report

The survey, conducted from Dec. 8—11 of 2017, polled a national sample of 1,726 adults ages 18 and up. It found that 1,233 of those people identifed as football fans.

The survey then asked the football fans: “Did you purposely stop watching or attending NFL games this season for any reason?” 33% of respondents said yes.

That group, which the survey labeled as “boycotting,” was asked why, and was given multiple options. Note: Respondents were allowed to select multiple answers; they were not asked which was the biggest factor, just which factors contributed.

They answered as follows: 32% said they stopped watching or attending NFL games “in support of Donald Trump”; 22% said “in solidarity with players kneeling”; 13% said “no interest in the teams playing”; 12% said “in support of Colin Kaepernick”; and 11% said “news about traumatic brain injuries among players.” Another 8% said “games are boring.” 46% chose “some other reason.”

Granted, this is an internet survey.

sigpic

Comment

• Not familiar with the source but...

Source: NFL Ratings Plunge As 23 Million Fewer Viewers Watch Divisional Playoffs

This past weekend the NFL had three very competitive games among its four divisional round playoff contests.

Unfortunately for the league, ratings continued to plummet.

In fact, ratings are plummeting so much that virtually no major media outlets are even talking about ratings at all. It’s almost like the league and its television partners have put out the code red not to acknowledge the collapse in viewership so far in 2018.

Yep, every single game was down, no matter how good the games were. And, remember, three of these games were highly competitive in the divisional round this year. Whereas last year only two of the games were competitive. Hell, three of the four windows even feature one of the same teams from last year. And yes, I know, the Cowboys and the Packers played last year and those are the two biggest fan base draws in the NFL, but even if you pull that game out the numbers for the other three games also declined double digits. (The three other games were down 15.3%, 10.4% and 5.6%)

Adding all these numbers up 120.8 million viewers watched the NFL divisional round playoffs in 2018 vs. 144.1 million who watched in 2017, a decline of 23.3 million total viewers.

That’s an overall viewership decline of over 16%, even steeper than last week’s 13% playoff decline. (Even if you leave out the Packers-Cowboys numbers completely the NFL playoff ratings would have still been down 10.3%).

These playoff numbers weren’t just bad compared to last year either, they hit a ten year low.

Source

Meanwhile ESPN reports that viewership for college bowl games was up 12% from last year and the College Football Playoff National Championship experienced a 9% increase.

Considering that the average career in the NFL is roughly 3.3 years saying that a decline in viewership is in part a reaction to concerns over concussion-related brain damage seems unlikely in that you can suffer the same sort of injuries during the 4 years of playing football in college and their viewership has been up.

Seems like folks got their football fix watching college games while turning off NFL games.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Not familiar with the source but...

Source: NFL Ratings Plunge As 23 Million Fewer Viewers Watch Divisional Playoffs

This past weekend the NFL had three very competitive games among its four divisional round playoff contests.

Unfortunately for the league, ratings continued to plummet.

In fact, ratings are plummeting so much that virtually no major media outlets are even talking about ratings at all. It’s almost like the league and its television partners have put out the code red not to acknowledge the collapse in viewership so far in 2018.

Yep, every single game was down, no matter how good the games were. And, remember, three of these games were highly competitive in the divisional round this year. Whereas last year only two of the games were competitive. Hell, three of the four windows even feature one of the same teams from last year. And yes, I know, the Cowboys and the Packers played last year and those are the two biggest fan base draws in the NFL, but even if you pull that game out the numbers for the other three games also declined double digits. (The three other games were down 15.3%, 10.4% and 5.6%)

Adding all these numbers up 120.8 million viewers watched the NFL divisional round playoffs in 2018 vs. 144.1 million who watched in 2017, a decline of 23.3 million total viewers.

That’s an overall viewership decline of over 16%, even steeper than last week’s 13% playoff decline. (Even if you leave out the Packers-Cowboys numbers completely the NFL playoff ratings would have still been down 10.3%).

These playoff numbers weren’t just bad compared to last year either, they hit a ten year low.

Source

Meanwhile ESPN reports that viewership for college bowl games was up 12% from last year and the College Football Playoff National Championship experienced a 9% increase.

Considering that the average career in the NFL is roughly 3.3 years saying that a decline in viewership is in part a reaction to concerns over concussion-related brain damage seems unlikely in that you can suffer the same sort of injuries during the 4 years of playing football in college and their viewership has been up.

Seems like folks got their football fix watching college games while turning off NFL games.
                              Well, maybe. You didn't provide the estimated numbers for those games, so it's hard to tell. College games tend to have more offense (partly because college QBs tend to run with the ball a lot more and partly because defenses aren't as good), which can make the game more exciting to watch. In the early days of the NFL, college football was much more popular; players would be drafted by teams and just not bother showing up because they weren't interested in playing in the NFL. Football is still America's favorite sport, by a wide margin (37% pick football, followed by basketball at 11%). This poll from a couple years ago shows that college football has a LOT of catching up to do in order to beat out the NFL in popularity (it came in at 10% compared to the NFL at 33%).

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Well, maybe. You didn't provide the estimated numbers for those games, so it's hard to tell.
                                From the linked to article:

Here are the ugly details head to head in the same timeslots as last year:

Saints-Vikings 35.6 million viewers

Packers-Cowboys 48.5 million viewers

Jags-Steelers 31.4 million viewers

Steelers-Chiefs 37.1 million viewers

Titans-Patriots 26.7 million viewers

Texans-Patriots 29.8 million viewers

Falcons-Eagles 27.1 million viewers

Seahawks-Falcons 28.7 million viewers

And thanks for the history lesson about how things used to be

Comment