Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Well, at least its sinking in that the flag was in fact the target in spite of all the denials being sputtered now.
    A more probable explanation is that Tassman managed to score another own goal.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The whole "hands up don't shoot" think is bogus. I thought you were a little more concerned about facts than fantasy.
      I know that hands up don't shoot refers to something specific that didn't happen. That's a minor detail of a single case.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Except there aren't "many" and they're only high-profile because the media magnifies them all out of proportion.

I don't recall any stories of police using dead black men for target practice, though.
        I consider at least 10 to be many. The media magnifies them because they're contentious so they generate interest/clicks/eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Well, at least its sinking in that the flag was in fact the target in spite of all the denials being sputtered now.
          The “target” is the ideals for which the flag stands and which are being overridden by the police and others who discriminate against blacks. The fact that you choose to re-frame the ‘kneeling’ blacks as "disrespecting the flag” is merely a Trumpian-style diversionary tactic.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            The “target” is the ideals for which the flag stands and which are being overridden by the police and others who discriminate against blacks.
            So, what, exactly, is being accomplished by these rebels? Like most liberals, they manage to do something stupid that brings attention to themselves, creates even more controversy, gets both sides stirs up, and accomplishes nothing at all. But they FEEL good about it.

The fact that you choose to re-frame the ‘kneeling’ blacks as "disrespecting the flag” is merely a Trumpian-style diversionary tactic.
            The fact that you seem to think they're actually accomplishing something (Didn't Jimmy, your smarter little brother, actually say they were "saving lives"? ) is merely a Clintonian fantasy.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Idiotic Missile View Post
              I know that hands up don't shoot refers to something specific that didn't happen. That's a minor detail of a single case.
              A minor detail? It's the entire basis of the Black Lives Matter movement!
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Yeah, thats one of the points, but not the entire basis, that the BLM movement is trying to make. Do you think that black people are treated equally by the criminal justice system, both by the police and the courts? Or are you just a racist who turns a blind eye to the obvious injustice against black people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  People are pissed off because NFL players are disrespecting the Flag and National Anthem.
                  Some people . . .

NFL leadership acknowledges the right of players to protest.

[cite=http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/18/news/companies/nfl-national-anthem-protests-roger-goodell/index.html]

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says players aren't trying to be "disrespectful to the flag" when they kneel during the National Anthem. But the league still believes they should stand.

Goodell, speaking to reporters after a two-day owners meeting in New York, announced no plans to change the league's policy. It says that players should stand for the Anthem, but it does not require them to.
                  The players "will state to you, and they have stated to everyone publicly, they are not doing this in any way to be disrespectful to the flag," Goodell said. "But they also understand how it's being interpreted."
                  Last season, then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the Anthem to protest racial injustice, particularly the killing of black Americans by police.

President Trump, who has criticized the protesting players and encouraged owners to fire anyone who takes a knee, went after the NFL again on Wednesday morning. [/cote]
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-22-2017, 02:06 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Some people . . .

NFL leadership acknowledges the right of players to protest.

[cite=http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/18/news/companies/nfl-national-anthem-protests-roger-goodell/index.html]

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says players aren't trying to be "disrespectful to the flag" when they kneel during the National Anthem. But the league still believes they should stand.

Goodell, speaking to reporters after a two-day owners meeting in New York, announced no plans to change the league's policy. It says that players should stand for the Anthem, but it does not require them to.
                    The players "will state to you, and they have stated to everyone publicly, they are not doing this in any way to be disrespectful to the flag," Goodell said. "But they also understand how it's being interpreted."
                    Last season, then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the Anthem to protest racial injustice, particularly the killing of black Americans by police.

President Trump, who has criticized the protesting players and encouraged owners to fire anyone who takes a knee, went after the NFL again on Wednesday morning. [/cote]
                    Most people.

And while nearly everyone completely agrees with the players having the right to protest that doesn't mean that people don't also have the right to protest their protest by refusing to watch or attend games, not buying NFL gear and memorabilia and yes even saying they'd like to see them get fired as a result.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                      Do you think that black people are treated equally by the criminal justice system, both by the police and the courts?
                      Yes.

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                      Or are you just a racist who turns a blind eye to the obvious injustice against black people.
                      Not that you're begging the question or anything.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        I consider at least 10 to be many. The media magnifies them because they're contentious so they generate interest/clicks/eyes.
                        10? Out of a population of well over 300 million?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, what, exactly, is being accomplished by these rebels? Like most liberals, they manage to do something stupid that brings attention to themselves, creates even more controversy, gets both sides stirs up, and accomplishes nothing at all.
                          “What’s being accomplished” is that, as per the “rebels” in MLK’s Civil Rights movement, people are made aware of the grievances of the black population in a white dominated society. They were greatly helped by Donald J Trump’s “SOB” outburst to his white audience in Alabama which galvanised virtually ALL the NFL players into action...and many others.

But they FEEL good about it.
                          Yes, they're like children, these blacks. <sarcasm>

The fact that you seem to think they're actually accomplishing something (Didn't Jimmy, your smarter little brother, actually say they were "saving lives"? ) is merely a Clintonian fantasy.
                          Sigh! .So snide... Very CP!

Ultimately, lives will be saved if stricter safeguards against police brutality towards blacks are enacted...just as MLK’s “rebels” ultimately brought about the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes.
                            Well, as is the usual case, you would be wrong.

Not that you're begging the question or anything.
                            Actually I'm assuming that you must either be a racist, or you're in denial.

Comment

It was one of the things that lead to it, but not the only thing. Absent that chant, the BLM movement would still exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says....
                                Goodell is trying desperately to save pro football. At this point, I wouldn't trust anything he says any further than you can throw a wide receiver.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment