Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I'd have to look into it - I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Michael Brown?

It has been repeatedly exposed as balderdash

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd have to look into it - I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Michael Brown?
      Laughing. Yeah, it's been a while.... I'd have to look into it, also.

OK, I did some quick checking - yes, Michael Brown at Ferguson. The lie that he had his hands up and was "shot in the back like a dog" or "execution style" - a lot of blatantly false testimony.

Although there are several individuals who have stated that Brown held his hands up in an unambiguous sign of surrender prior to Wilson shooting him dead, their accounts do not support a prosecution of Wilson. As detailed throughout this report, some of those accounts are inaccurate because they are inconsistent with the physical and forensic evidence; some of those accounts are materially inconsistent with that witness’s own prior statements with no explanation, credible [or] otherwise, as to why those accounts changed over time. Certain other witnesses who originally stated Brown had his hands up in surrender recanted their original accounts, admitting that they did not witness the shooting or parts of it, despite what they initially reported either to federal or local law enforcement or to the media. Prosecutors did not rely on those accounts when making a prosecutive decision.

While credible witnesses gave varying accounts of exactly what Brown was doing with his hands as he moved toward Wilson – i.e., balling them, holding them out, or pulling up his pants up – and varying accounts of how he was moving – i.e., “charging,” moving in “slow motion,” or “running” – they all establish that Brown was moving toward Wilson when Wilson shot him. Although some witnesses state that Brown held his hands up at shoulder level with his palms facing outward for a brief moment, these same witnesses describe Brown then dropping his hands and “charging” at Wilson.

The DOJ report notes on page 44 that Johnson “made multiple statements to the media immediately following the incident that spawned the popular narrative that Wilson shot Brown execution-style as he held up his hands in surrender.” In one of those interviews, Johnson told MSNBC that Brown was shot in the back by Wilson. It was then that Johnson said Brown stopped, turned around with his hands up and said, “I don’t have a gun, stop shooting!” And, like that, “hands up, don’t shoot” became the mantra of a movement. But it was wrong, built on a lie.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Laughing. Yeah, it's been a while.... I'd have to look into it, also.

OK, I did some quick checking - yes, Michael Brown at Ferguson. The lie that he had his hands up and was "shot in the back like a dog" or "execution style" - a lot of blatantly false testimony.
        I remember it, but I don't really know enough to comment.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I remember it, but I don't really know enough to comment.
          Well, it's important. Because this whole NFL protest is built on that kind of false narrative.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            I understand why you want to go back to that one.
            Yep... it's always best to go back to the original claim being discussed, especially when one's opponent has become "confused".
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Well, it's important. Because this whole NFL protest is built on that kind of false narrative.
              This whole NFL protest is something I don't know much about, and I'm not sure that's worth changing.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

This whole NFL protest is something I don't know much about, and I'm not sure that's worth changing.
                Well, it's the topic of the thread, but we all know how that goes --- I'll let you and MM get back to your friendly discussion.

Comment

Well, it's the topic of the thread, but we all know how that goes --- I'll let you and MM get back to your friendly discussion.
                  Not much point - MM's king is thoroughly guano-coated.

Comment

Not much point - MM's king is thoroughly guano-coated.
                    I think the point is that this whole hysteria of police hunting down and killing black men (yes, that's an over-exaggeration, but it's actually expressed that way by some of it's more vocal proponents) is rooted in a completely false narrative that was aided and abetted by the MSM. It has resulted in the tragic death of numerous police officers, which is nothing MLK would ever have imagined, and other violence and rioting and looting.

I'm 'cramming' on my MLK history to make sure I am being accurate, and reading (and rereading) everything I can find on him and the civil rights movement in general. When riots and looting broke out during some of the protests MLK arranged, he quickly and clearly called an end to them, and met with leaders to assure they would not happen again.

Today it's "well, you can certainly understand WHY they would riot...." but absent the calls for peaceful protests and reason and calm. Obama and Eric Holder actually fueled some of this, IMOHBAI, by basically excusing the riots and looting as 'understandable'.

Comment

• Meanwhile, in spite of the new tactic of no longer showing the protesting players (after they already quit showing all of the booing fans) by going to a commercial break during the playing of the national anthem viewership continues its downward spiral.

Source: What protests? Worried NFL TV networks ignore kneeling players in Week 6

You can't blame the NFL TV partners for being worried. Through Week 5, the NFL TV numbers were down 7.2 percent, according to Nielsen data. That drop came on top of a 7 percent downturn last season. Through Week 5 of the 2017 season, NFL games averaged 15.2 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That’s down 7.42 percent from an average of 16.371 million viewers through the same period of the 2016 season, and 18 percent down from the average of 18.438 million viewers through the first five weeks of the 2015 season

Source

© Copyright Original Source

The story goes on to say that Week 6 witnessed a "mixed reviews" but Deadline Hollywood notes

Source: ‘Monday Night Football’ Ratings Fall To Season Low As Titans Break Colts’ Streak

In a season stained by overall ratings declines and political controversy, that NFL Week 6 rating is down 13% from the early numbers of the much tighter October 9 matchup between the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears. That MNF season low went on to deliver a 3.7 rating among adults 18-49 and a total viewership of 10.3 million. It’s worth noting that the peek of last week’s MNF came at halftime on the Disney-owned cabler when the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer debuted.

Source

The two year long protest is taking a heavy toll.

My brother, who often goes to various sports bars to grab a bite to eat with his friends, mentioned that he hardly sees anyone wearing NFL jerseys there any more. The fans are getting fed up.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yep... it's always best to go back to the original claim being discussed, especially when one's opponent has become "confused".
                        You can't remember what you've written, even though it's on the screen in front of you, and you think I'm confused?????

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Meanwhile, in spite of the new tactic of no longer showing the protesting players (after they already quit showing all of the booing fans) by going to a commercial break during the playing of the national anthem viewership continues its downward spiral.

Source: What protests? Worried NFL TV networks ignore kneeling players in Week 6

You can't blame the NFL TV partners for being worried. Through Week 5, the NFL TV numbers were down 7.2 percent, according to Nielsen data. That drop came on top of a 7 percent downturn last season. Through Week 5 of the 2017 season, NFL games averaged 15.2 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That’s down 7.42 percent from an average of 16.371 million viewers through the same period of the 2016 season, and 18 percent down from the average of 18.438 million viewers through the first five weeks of the 2015 season

Source

The story goes on to say that Week 6 witnessed a "mixed reviews" but Deadline Hollywood notes

Source: ‘Monday Night Football’ Ratings Fall To Season Low As Titans Break Colts’ Streak

In a season stained by overall ratings declines and political controversy, that NFL Week 6 rating is down 13% from the early numbers of the much tighter October 9 matchup between the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears. That MNF season low went on to deliver a 3.7 rating among adults 18-49 and a total viewership of 10.3 million. It’s worth noting that the peek of last week’s MNF came at halftime on the Disney-owned cabler when the new Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer debuted.

Source

The two year long protest is taking a heavy toll.

My brother, who often goes to various sports bars to grab a bite to eat with his friends, mentioned that he hardly sees anyone wearing NFL jerseys there any more. The fans are getting fed up.
                          well I know that the tv networks are getting desperate. I have seen way more ads and bottom third splashes for Football games than ever before over the last week or so. They are really pushing it, where before, football was a given, they didn't have to bother with much advertising.

I am actually thinking of supporting the kneeling protests. Maybe it will mean an end to Sunday, Monday and Thursday night football games that keep interfering with my recording of my regular TV shows.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Meanwhile, in spite of the new tactic of no longer showing the protesting players (after they already quit showing all of the booing fans) by going to a commercial break during the playing of the national anthem viewership continues its downward spiral.
                            This may be a futile question, but exactly why do they play the national anthem before intranational matches at all?

Comment

This may be a futile question, but exactly why do they play the national anthem before intranational matches at all?
                              Baseball, and to a lesser extent, football are "national pastimes". It's "an American thing".... It was kind of unifying.... kinda like, "OK, your team is Georgia and mine is from Texas, but we're ALL Americans".

I don't guess an outsider would get that.

Comment

Baseball, and to a lesser extent, football are "national pastimes". It's "an American thing".... It was kind of unifying.... kinda like, "OK, your team is Georgia and mine is from Texas, but we're ALL Americans".

I don't guess an outsider would get that.
                                This is about me isn't it?

But that is basically how I see it. While there may be intense rivalries this is supposed to be a moment where the opposing sides can come together.

Comment