Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Oh really, so players don't have a right to kneel during the national anthem? Says who?
    They're on "company time". The "company" can dictate their behavior. It's in their contracts.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
      Oh really, so players don't have a right to kneel during the national anthem? Says who?
      Of course they have the right, just as I have the right to stand at the front door of my employer and harangue clients about, say, the evils of drug use, or whatever. I would get fired for it, of course, but it's still my right to do it.

Same principle applies here: they have the right to protest; the league has the right to fire them.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Of course they have the right, just as I have the right to stand at the front door of my employer and harangue clients about, say, the evils of drug use, or whatever. I would get fired for it, of course, but it's still my right to do it.

Same principle applies here: they have the right to protest; the league has the right to fire them.
        That's actually complicated by the fact that they are "under contract for years". But what is REALLY clear, is that it's all about money! When the owners see their profits going into the tank, and this really bites them in the pocketbook, they will find a way.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          They're on "company time". The "company" can dictate their behavior. It's in their contracts.
          Right, and it's not in their contracts so they weren't breaking company rules, so whats your problem.

Comment

They weren't breaking league rules lamebrain.

Comment

That's actually complicated by the fact that they are "under contract for years". But what is REALLY clear, is that it's all about money! When the owners see their profits going into the tank, and this really bites them in the pocketbook, they will find a way.
              Right, so what you want to do, free speech lover, is shut them up.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I am for free speech. You can say whatever idiotic thing pops into your brain. However, that doesn't mean I think speech should be consequence-free. If someone says they're going to assassinate a political figure, they should reap the consequence of the FBI taking an interest in their speech and activity. Do you understand the distinction?
                Irrelevant, nobody's threatening anyones lives, they're trying to save lives. What should be the consequences for that?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  They weren't breaking league rules...
                  That's debatable, but it's also irrelevant. There's no rule at my company explicitly prohibiting me from haranguing clients as they walk into the front door, but I would still get fired for it.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Irrelevant, nobody's threatening anyones lives, they're trying to save lives. What should be the consequences for that?
                    This all sprouted from the "Hands up don't shoot" myth that was revealed to be complete hogwash. The fact is, as demonstrated by multiple studies, that you are considerably more likely to be killed in a confrontation with the police if you are white than if you're black.

And if they were truly interested in saving lives why are they ignoring all the black on black crime that is epidemic in some communities? Can't get any political mileage out of it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Right, and it's not in their contracts so they weren't breaking company rules, so whats your problem.
                      Jimmy - as proof that we "conservatives" are not against free speech - you're here free to spew forth all the ignorance you want, and to call names and be a

It doesn't mean you can do it unopposed, but you're free to spew your idiocy.

Comment

Right, so what you want to do, free speech lover, is shut them up.
                        No, actually I don't. Cause they're not "saying" anything. They're being jackasses, promoting a false narrative, and it's not working. I actually don't care if they do this or not, cause I don't watch football.

The fact is, they are creating their own crisis, and they deserve what they get.

Comment

...they're trying to save lives. ...

So THIS IS IT!!!!! Jimmy has bought into their false narrative, and has been SUCKERED BIG TIME!!!!!

Comment

That's debatable, but it's also irrelevant. There's no rule at my company explicitly prohibiting me from haranguing clients as they walk into the front door, but I would still get fired for it.
                            Hopefully, you'd get a warning first, but YEAH! If you continued to do dumb stuff that drove away revenue......

Comment

In other words, no, you don't understand the distinction I was trying to make, and instead got yourself all wrapped up in my example. Care to try again? Hint: the consequences in my example have nothing to do with what I think the consequences should be for players kneeling during the anthem. It's an example, Jim.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So THIS IS IT!!!!! Jimmy has bought into their false narrative, and has been SUCKERED BIG TIME!!!!!
                                Meanwhile, Jimmy's HERO shows his hypocrisy....

Just in time to chase one more big NFL paycheck, Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest is done.

So much for the cause he once called "bigger than football," and so much for the anger he once had toward a flag that "oppresses black people and people of color." On Thursday morning, according to ESPN, Kaepernick, who spent an entire season either sitting or kneeling during the national anthem, no longer planned to protest, and was done being a polarizing figure in the ongoing national struggle against police brutality and racial injustice.

"Kaepernick no longer wants the past method of protest to detract from the positive change that he believes has been created, per sources," ESPN's Adam Schefter wrote.

"the positive change".... you mean things are all better now, and we can go back to actually playing the game????

Comment