Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Most players are in and out of the league within 2-3 years; I doubt there would be a seismic fall in salaries in that time. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody from the union circulated a message to knock it off though.
    There's already been a significant drop in sales. So even if you're only around for a couple of years you'll probably feel it.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...rcent-n2388235

The bigger issue for the NFL is that sales were (already) dropping, so the last thing they needed was to see that drop accelerate.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

The NBA isn't doing anything other than stating the existence of a rule they've had for a long time. The only time it's ever come up in NBA history was in the mid 90s when a Muslim player refused to stand for the anthem on religious grounds, and he ended up working out a compromise with the league. (A rebellion against the NBA's current decree seems unlikely; the NBA commissioner is actually well liked by players. He built up a significant amount of good will on racial justice issues by kicking Donald Sterling out of the league a couple years ago.)

I'm skeptical that economic concerns played a broad role in the NFL players' decision not to repeat as their own salaries were not really at risk.
      Commissioner Adam Silver made it clear that he expected players to stand for the anthem and that individual teams "do not have the discretion to waive" the rule that players, coaches and staff stand for the anthem. It also looks like they will be in charge of disciplining those who ignore the rule rather than leaving it up to individual teams to do so.

As for the economics... The players could well feel it when they negotiate new contracts and are informed that due to a sharp drop in revenue from ticket sales, TV viewership, sale of memorabilia and gear (folks are burning the jerseys they own or using them as door mats rather than buying more)... that they will simply have to settle for less than they're demanding.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The NFL is already in a possible death spiral apart from this issue, mostly due to market oversaturation and the concussion issue. I predict the death knell for football will be when insurance companies refuse to insure high school football eventually.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The NFL is already in a possible death spiral apart from this issue, mostly due to market oversaturation and the concussion issue. I predict the death knell for football will be when insurance companies refuse to insure high school football eventually.
          IOW, the last thing in the world they need is foolish self-inflicted wounds.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Commissioner Adam Silver made it clear that he expected players to stand for the anthem and that individual teams "do not have the discretion to waive" the rule that players, coaches and staff stand for the anthem. It also looks like they will be in charge of disciplining those who ignore the rule rather than leaving it up to individual teams to do so.

As for the economics... The players could well feel it when they negotiate new contracts and are informed that due to a sharp drop in revenue from ticket sales, TV viewership, sale of memorabilia and gear (folks are burning the jerseys they own or using them as door mats rather than buying more)... that they will simply have to settle for less than they're demanding.
            All of which may or may not be true. But the real issue underlying the kneeling has been highlighted more than ever by the kerfuffle. Namely the police brutality and racial inequality against blacks in the US.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              All of which may or may not be true. But the real issue underlying the kneeling has been highlighted more than ever by the kerfuffle. Namely the police brutality and racial inequality against blacks in the US.
              racial inequality? we had a black president. has australia had a black prime minister?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                racial inequality? we had a black president. has Australia had a black prime minister?
                Australia has its own dark racist history concerning the Aborigine population, not much different from the US history concerning Blacks and Native Americans.

The point of the thread is that Trump resolved nothing, but create more problems.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-02-2017, 06:54 AM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  They all kneeled in support of the issue, which it seems most of you idiots don't even know what the issue is...
                  I'm not even sure those kneeling know what the issue is. You have some of the richest and most privileged people in the country protesting the unfair treatment of their race. Am I the only one who finds this ironic?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's not that Trump did anything to stop it; Trump's comments were the reason there was mass kneeling in the first place. It only needed to be done once to make the point which was why it wasn't repeated this week. The idea that Trump solved a problem that was mostly caused by him in the first place is spin jujitsu Baghdad Bob would be proud of.
                    It's more they heard the outrage of their fans. I've seen a few post game interviews where they said they didn't want to cause anyone disrespect.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Black football players: "I'm rich and successful! How dare you keep the black man down! "

Rest of America:
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        And yet study after study has repeatedly shown that in a confrontation with police a white person is considerably more likely to get shot by a police officer than a black person is.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Australia has its own dark racist history concerning the Aborigine population, not much different from the US history concerning Blacks and Native Americans.

The point of the thread is that Trump resolved nothing, but create more problems.
                          The same thing could be said of Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            racial inequality? we had a black president. has australia had a black prime minister?
                            As I noted in another thread just over a week ago...

Tell us again about the indigenous Prime Minister of Australia.

I mean didn't you guys just elect your first aboriginal leader of a provincial government (which is essentially equivalent of a state governor here) a couple years ago? In comparison the first black governor (a Republican btw) here in the U.S. served over a 140 years ago.

Comment

And leave it to the left to declare that burning a jersey is essentially no different than "hunt[ing], hang[ing], burn[ing] and murder[/ing] black people" -- at least according to music journalist and television producer Matthew Allen. He declared that "The core of the rationale of jersey burning stems back to lynching"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I'm not even sure those kneeling know what the issue is. You have some of the richest and most privileged people in the country protesting the unfair treatment of their race. Am I the only one who finds this ironic?
                                No, you're probably not the only idiot. Actually I'm sure that even you understand the issue, its just that due to your inescapable bias, you can't get yourself to admit it. According to the above, you think that because certain individuals are wealthy that they therefore should keep their mouths shut when it comes to the injustice they see around them. Now I know that you're not really that stupid, so you have to skew things a certain way in order that they fit your biased perspective. Sad!

Comment