Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    They were founded after Martin but didn't get any recognition until Brown in Ferguson with their "Hands up, don't shoot" chant. And the wider facts was that it was a justifiable shooting. Brown tried to take the officer's weapon when the latter was still in the car and then rushed him when both were outside the car.
    The facts of the case are muddy enough that it earned the contentiousness it still has.

You can get political mileage out of the one and not the other.
    What do you mean by "political mileage"? Are you saying that BLM activists have ulterior motives?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Give an example, please.
      Charles Kinsey and Michael Brown (after the car shooting). And of course incidents that didn't involve a gun.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Black on black crime 'appears unsolvable', so it should be accepted? I know that's not what you said, but you're nodding in that direction.
      It should be tackled at the appropriate scale. It's a symptom of a variety of factors that stretch back hundreds of years. You shouldn't ask for people to do more than is feasible. BLM focuses on a part of the monster and does what it can.

Tell that to the parents of young black children and youths who were killed by other blacks. I don't think you realize how cold hearted you sound.
      That's taking what I said out of context. I am referring to black on black crime as a statistically more important matter than unjust police shootings in an analogy. Read it again.
      Last edited by Psychic Missile; 10-25-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        BLM focuses on a part of the monster and does what it can.
        Black Lies Matter invented a monster to focus on while it ignores the real problem.

You see, the problem with black-on-black crime is that you can't blame whitey, so they can't get any political capital out of it.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• And now the NFL is blaming their ratings crash not on the spoiled billionaire football players pissing off fans by disrespecting the flag; no, they think the problem is "oversaturation". There's just too much football on TV, so now they want to start cutting the number of televised games.

You can't make this up.

Source: Breitbart

Network executives are scrambling to solve the growing problem of crashing ratings for the National Football League, by cutting games to end the perceived “over-saturation” of football on TV.

To put an end to the sliding ratings, the executives are proposing that fewer games may be the ticket to stop that “over-saturation,” with one idea being to cut Thursday Night Football by a whopping ten games.

The idea to trim Thursday Night Football from 18 games a season to only eight was first reported by Sports Business Journal and was part of a plan to reverse the ratings crash that also includes pulling games played in the U.K. back to 1 PM eastern time (6PM London time).

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...ootball-games/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            And now the NFL is blaming their ratings crash not on the spoiled billionaire football players pissing off fans by disrespecting the flag; no, they think the problem is "oversaturation". There's just too much football on TV, so now they want to start cutting the number of televised games.

You can't make this up.

Network executives are scrambling to solve the growing problem of crashing ratings for the National Football League, by cutting games to end the perceived “over-saturation” of football on TV.

To put an end to the sliding ratings, the executives are proposing that fewer games may be the ticket to stop that “over-saturation,” with one idea being to cut Thursday Night Football by a whopping ten games.

The idea to trim Thursday Night Football from 18 games a season to only eight was first reported by Sports Business Journal and was part of a plan to reverse the ratings crash that also includes pulling games played in the U.K. back to 1 PM eastern time (6PM London time).

well that might be part of the problem. I am sick of not only Sunday night football, but Monday night football and Thursday Night football.

But even die hard fans are running away. DirecTV was giving out refunds to their NFL season ticket because people were pissed. And the seats are empty in the stadiums. AND fans have been telling them that the anthem is why they are not watching.

Comment

And now the NFL is blaming their ratings crash not on the spoiled billionaire football players pissing off fans by disrespecting the flag; no, they think the problem is "oversaturation". There's just too much football on TV, so now they want to start cutting the number of televised games.

You can't make this up.

That IS part of the problem. TNF games are generally a poorer quality product because teams just don't have enough time to adequately prepare for them. They've also been putting half of them on only the NFL Network, which only people who pony up for Direct TV get. The mostly putrid "color rush" uniforms (another marketing gimmick gone awry) are also used on TNF. The should keep the Thanksgiving Day games (giving the teams that play then a bye week the Sunday before), but drop the rest.

It also turns out that a significant number of football fans still go to church, which means they're not going to be watching games that air Sunday morning at 9 from London.

And fewer people have been watching Monday Night Football because it's only on ESPN (outside of the local market), and ESPN has been turning people off with its political commentary lately.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I wonder how much of the declining ratings for football is coming from the frequent injuries (concussions in particular) compared to most other sports. Dislike of those elements of boxing was a big reason for that sport's major decline in popularity. There's certainly been an overall decline in youth participation in football. While parenteral concern over injuries likely isn't the only factor in that, it does seem to play a part.
                Last edited by Terraceth; 10-25-2017, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  The facts of the case are muddy enough that it earned the contentiousness it still has.
                  Seriously? The various autopsies, including the one done by a doctor the parent's hired, all found no evidence that he was shot while his hands were raised.

The DOJ investigation, run under Holder and Obama (who were eager to find evidence of police brutality), ruled it was a justifiable shooting.

Multiple black witnesses testified that Brown's hands were not raised and that he was moving toward the officer (some said he was charging)

Most of those who first claimed that Brown had his hands up when he was shot later recanted with some even admitting that they weren't there and others acknowledging that his hands weren't up.

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  What do you mean by "political mileage"? Are you saying that BLM activists have ulterior motives?
                  Look at the records of those that founded the movement.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Meanwhile...

Source: NFL's TV numbers still sliding; 2017 figures down big from same period in '15

The NFL's once-golden network TV numbers continue to drop.

NFL games averaged 15.1 million viewers through Week 7, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. That's down 5.1 percent from 15.87 million viewers during the same period last season and off 18.7 percent from 18.35 million viewers during the same period in 2015.

Source

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Meanwhile...

Source: NFL's TV numbers still sliding; 2017 figures down big from same period in '15

The NFL's once-golden network TV numbers continue to drop.

NFL games averaged 15.1 million viewers through Week 7, according to Nielsen data obtained by Sporting News. That's down 5.1 percent from 15.87 million viewers during the same period last season and off 18.7 percent from 18.35 million viewers during the same period in 2015.

Source

Blah blah blah, the viewership ratings have been falling in all sports.

Comment

• And it's pure coincidence that the ratings decline just happens to coincide with these players' actions, right?

Comment

And it's pure coincidence that the ratings decline just happens to coincide with these players' actions, right?
                          Oh, ESPN's increasingly political commentary bears plenty of the blame as well (looking at you, Bob Costas).
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Oh, ESPN's increasingly political commentary bears plenty of the blame as well (looking at you, Bob Costas).
                            It is the same thing with hollywood. People don't want celebrities (movie or sports) pontificating on politics. We watch movies and sports to get away from all that. for entertainment. We don't want them spewing politics and ruining our image of them. We may like a specific celebrity, and then they get on TV and show what an ignoramus they are and we "see behind the curtain" so to speak and we don't like that. It's better for us and their reputation if they just stick to playing sports, singing songs, or beating up aliens in movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Blah blah blah, the viewership ratings have been falling in all sports.
                              And for TV in general. But as Forbes so accurately noted "The decline in NFL viewership has gone from a little leak to a busted pipe." When various groups ask the fans why, the protest has consistently been listed as a if not the major reason for this sudden sharp decrease. A recent poll revealed that the NFL went from the most popular sport to the least popular virtually overnight.

Since I love re-posting stuff I've already posted
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And the cost of their idiocy...

Source: Shock poll: NFL now least liked sport, core fans down 31%

Over just one month of player, coach, and owner protests of the flag and National Anthem, the National Football League has gone from America's sport to the least liked of top professional and college sports, according to a new poll.

From the end of August to the end of September, the favorable ratings for the NFL have dropped from 57 percent to 44 percent, and it has the highest unfavorable rating – 40 percent – of any big sport, according to the Winston Group survey provided exclusively to Secrets.

Worse for football, which was already seeing lower TV ratings and empty stadium seats, the month of protests and complaints about them from President Trump drove core fans, men 34-54, away, the most significant indicator that NFL brass aren't in touch with their base.

The Winston Poll from the Washington-based Winston Group found that the attitude of those fans went from an August rating of 73 percent favorable and 19 percent unfavorable to 42 percent favorable and 47 percent unfavorable, a remarkable turn against the sport.

According to the poll analysis, "more critically for the NFL, the fall off in favorables occurred among important audiences. Among males, NFL favorables fell 23 percent, going from 68 percent to 45 percent. In looking at a more specific audience, males 34-54, NFL favorables fell 31 percent, going from 73 percent to 42 percent. Among this group the NFL has a surprising negative image, as it went from +54 percent in August to -5 percent in September."

The Winston Poll was of brand images for the NFL, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, and college football and basketball. It was of 1,000 registered voters and taken August 29-30 and then again September 28-29.

Source

And as both viewership and attendance demonstrates this situation continues to get much worse at an alarming rate.
                              Last edited by rogue06; 10-26-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                It is the same thing with hollywood. People don't want celebrities (movie or sports) pontificating on politics. We watch movies and sports to get away from all that. for entertainment. We don't want them spewing politics and ruining our image of them. We may like a specific celebrity, and then they get on TV and show what an ignoramus they are and we "see behind the curtain" so to speak and we don't like that. It's better for us and their reputation if they just stick to playing sports, singing songs, or beating up aliens in movies.
                                If they want to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, and run for office, we have elected a number of former athletes and actors to office. I hear one even made it all the way to POTUS.

But when they do it from the stage or the field or while promoting their various films its a, well, whole nuther ballgame

Comment