Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    What would Mom have said if she ever knew that you would write H-E- double hockey sticks -- in CAPITAL LETTERS no less -- for all the world to see?
    I would explain it was a 'scholarly quote', in which case, she would swiftly and powerfully apply the board of education to my seat of learning.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• There's no recovering from this fiasco. The NFL may as well ride this train wreck all the way to the bitter end.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        There's no recovering from this fiasco. The NFL may as well ride this train wreck all the way to the bitter end.
        The goofy notion that "we'll just hold the players in the locker room until the anthem is over" is a typical liberal response -- punish* EVERYBODY because of a few bad actors.

*some players still think it's a tremendous honor to stand and honor the flag
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There's no recovering from this fiasco. The NFL may as well ride this train wreck all the way to the bitter end.
          Even Peter King is starting to worry:

Source: MMQB

I think it’s time to sound the TV ratings alarm—if you haven’t already heard it clanging from coast to coast. It looks even worse when considering that the NFL, perhaps rightfully, blamed last year’s ratings decline on the attention magnet that the 2016 presidential election was. But Thanksgiving week is two weeks clear of the election season. So let’s compare some of the numbers to each of the past two years to see where we are (thanks to Sports Media Watch for the ratings info):

• ESPN, Monday night, Atlanta at Seattle: 6.4 rating, a decline of 28.1 percent from Buffalo-New England in 2015 … a decline of 7.2 percent from Houston-Oakland last year.

• FOX, Thanksgiving Day, Minnesota at Detroit: 11.4 rating, a drop of 7.3 percent from Philadelphia-Detroit in 2015 … a drop of 12.3 percent from Minnesota-Detroit last year.

• CBS, Thanksgiving Day, Los Angeles Chargers at Dallas: 12.4 rating, a decrease of 19.0 percent from Dallas-Carolina in 2015 … a decrease of 20.5 percent from Dallas-Washington last year.

• NBC, Thanksgiving night, New York Giants at Washington: 9.7 rating, a drop of 33.6 percent from Chicago-Green Bay in 2015 … a drop of 10.2 percent from Indianapolis-Pittsburgh last year.

A bit of clarification: CBS did the early-window game from Detroit last year; FOX did the early game from Detroit this year. So the numbers on FOX and CBS are window versus window, not network versus network. But in window versus window, the numbers of ’17 versus ’16 were down 7.2, 12.3, 20.5 and 10.2 percent on Monday and Thursday of Thanksgiving week. Not good.

© Copyright Original Source

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Even Peter King is starting to worry...
            Peter King is a little late to the party. This decline has been happening for months, and head-in-the-sand liberals are trying desperately to convince themselves that it has nothing to do with the anthem protests.

Comment

Peter King is a little late to the party. This decline has been happening for months, and head-in-the-sand liberals are trying desperately to convince themselves that it has nothing to do with the anthem protests.
              I posted this as evidence that even liberals are beginning to connect the dots.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Liberals know and don't care. They are like suicide bombers and will destroy their own companies in the name of The Cause. Marvel Comics is doing the same thing.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Liberals know and don't care. They are like suicide bombers and will destroy their own companies in the name of The Cause. Marvel Comics is doing the same thing.
                  ESPN is letting another 150 people go.

sigpic

Comment

Keep hope alive there MM.
                    http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-a...ts-yet-2017-11

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Do you even read the stuff you link to? It is saying that if you go by ticket sales and giveaways, the numbers are still there but the attendance is actually down. Basically people buy season tickets but then they don't go because of the anthem thing. Read your article.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                        You should actually read the article before posting the link, Jimmy:

Source: Business Insider

While this looks like good news for the NFL on the surface, there are reasons to be skeptical.

First and foremost, the NFL is driven by season-ticket sales and tickets purchased prior to the start of the season. That suggests that attendance this season was not impacted by players kneeling during the 2016 season. However, it doesn't tell us if ticket sales will be hurt as a result of the growing criticism this season, especially from President Donald Trump. The true impact of the backlash this season won't be felt until the 2018 season, if at all.

The other issue to keep in mind is that attendance figures do not necessarily tell us how many people actually attended the games. Since 2005, the NFL has encouraged teams to report "tickets distributed" as opposed to the actual number of fans that pass through the turnstiles. Tickets distributed includes tickets sold and tickets given away (e.g. charity donations).

That's why we can have a game in San Francisco with a reported "attendance" of 70,000 and the stadium still looks half empty.

From my vantage point 3 minutes to go 2ND quarter. #49ers vs #Rams pic.twitter.com/pYbJPFNV6q
                        — Colin Resch (@colinresch) September 22, 2017

The NFL can fudge the numbers this season. But they won't be able to fudge as much next season if ticket sales drop.

© Copyright Original Source

Busted by your own source.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-30-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Do you even read the stuff you link to? It is saying that if you go by ticket sales and giveaways, the numbers are still there but the attendance is actually down. Basically people buy season tickets but then they don't go because of the anthem thing. Read your article.
                          No, actually it doesn't say attendance is down, because that is something they can't calculate overall throughout the league. It won't be known until next year if you crackpots will have any effect on attendance, and thats's highly unlikely. But keep hope alive!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            No, actually it doesn't say attendance is down, because that is something they can't calculate overall throughout the league. It won't be known until next year if you crackpots will have any effect on attendance, and thats's highly unlikely. But keep hope alive!
                            You can look at the pictures of the stands right in the article you linked to, DumbL.

Here is a relevant quote and photo screengrabbed right from your own article saying that:

"The other issue to keep in mind is that attendance figures do not necessarily tell us how many people actually attended the games. Since 2005, the NFL has encouraged teams to report "tickets distributed" as opposed to the actual number of fans that pass through the turnstiles. Tickets distributed includes tickets sold and tickets given away (e.g. charity donations).

That's why we can have a game in San Francisco with a reported "attendance" of 70,000 and the stadium still looks half empty."

ScreenHunter_.jpg

Comment

• Looks like Jimmy pulled a Shuny: found a headline that seemed to support his position without noticing that the article itself refuted him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Season ticket sales for next year ought to be interesting.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment