Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting Las Vegas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Actually, it completely undermines your point, as Scalia (the man you quoted) also agrees the constitution allows for the regulation of firearms.
    I don't think even the most hardcore of gun advocates has ever argued that we have "a right to keep and carry any weapons whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose".

Scalia went on to say, "The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms." However, "The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of 'arms' that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition—in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute—would fail constitutional muster. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Sparko never answered the question you asked him SoR. Your question to Sparko was; do you think machine guns or bazookas should be legal. He never gave you a positive answer, he merely refered to the 2nd amendment and replied; yes i think they are legal. Apparently he didn't want to go down that road where he'd have to answer the question as to where the line should be drawn when it comes to firearms, and why?
      Actually I did answer him. Go back and read.

And actually his objection that a bunch of hicks with guns could not stand against an army just means that we should have access to machine guns and bazookas in order to have a well regulated militia.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
        Can’t let this drop as your fellow red suggested, eh? I don’t know about you, but I am quite looking forward to letting this drop so this lovely slugfest err... I mean ‘discussion’ can continue on for a few dozen more pages, while both sides repeat themselves, ad nauseam, while talking past each other, only for it to be repeated again in a few months time when the topic comes up again. I sure don’t want to interrupt this important ‘policy discussion’ so I can watch you miss my point while accusing me of missing yours.
        There was no need to revalidate my observation.

You may have the last word.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Natural right? Oh for pity's sake - no, it doesn't. Case law and the Constitution BOTH counter that silliness. Oh, and history, let's not forget the guys that wrote the thing...

Guns have been subject to regulation since the BEGINNING - all incorporation did was prevent states from banning them. The Court NEVER found anything remotely like this!
          The courts are doing exactly what the second amendment says they can't do: infringe on our right to keep and bear arms. Of course any government that wants to suppress the right to bear arms will say that it has the right to do so and that the people's right doesn't really say what it says.

Allowing the courts to decide how far the 2nd amendment should go is like letting the fox guard the hen house.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            They aren't. Never were. This is silly.
            Yes they are.

Machine Guns Are Legal: A Practical Guide to Full Auto
            http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ide-full-auto/

So are bazookas:

https://www.atf.gov/file/55446/download

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              The “different criteria for the two countries” is the point.

In the US, where gun restrictions are virtually non-existent, there have been 1,516 mass shootings in 1,735.days plus a long list of other mass shootings.

By contrast, in Australia where stringent firearm restrictions apply, there hasn’t been a single mass shooting during the 21 years since the firearm buy-back and introduction of the gun restrictions...whereas there had been 13 fatal mass shootings in the preceding 18 years.

In short, tight gun restrictions in Australia and places like Japan, appear to make a significant difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...do-gun-control

It's not dishonest. "Desist" with your orders.
              Australia and Japan are island nations. The US has a massive third world country on its border and gun control advocates are the same people demanding it be kept open. All banning guns would do in the US is start a civil war disarm people who don't want to break the law, and possibly give hispanic gangs an edge over black ones so they can accelerate their ethnic cleansing of the latter.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Yes they are.

Machine Guns Are Legal: A Practical Guide to Full Auto
                http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ide-full-auto/

So are bazookas:

https://www.atf.gov/file/55446/download
                Tanks with functioning guns too:

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.co...ank-ownership/

And Paul Allen owns a jet fighter:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-fighter.html
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Yeah and we don't have a bunch of incidents of people misusing tanks or jet fighters.

The second amendment says we are allowed to own and keep arms. Like I said before, it doesn't protect us from the consequences of using them. So breaking laws by shooting off guns or bazookas or fighter jet machine guns and murdering people is not protected. You will be arrested. But as long as you obey the law and don't misuse the weapons there is no problem.

The problem is when the democrats want to take away all guns and weapons because they say we can't be trusted with them. Apparently most of us can.

Comment

Yeah and we don't have a bunch of incidents of people misusing tanks or jet fighters.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_..._Tank_Rampage)
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Sparko said "a bunch of incidents" not "any incidents."
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• ok you found 1 incident how does that contradict Sparko saying a bunch of people.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Sparko said "a bunch of incidents" not "any incidents."
                          Yeah, I was actually thinking of that ONE incident when I worded my sentence. There might even be others, but just because such things make the news does not make them common. The reason they ARE news is because they are uncommon. Also, he did not legally own the tank, he stole it, and he never used the gun or any weapons.

Kinda ironic we nitpicked the tweb nitpicker though.

Comment

Kinda ironic we nitpicked the tweb nitpicker though.
                            I couldn't pass up taking that opening.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                              Actually, it completely undermines your point, as Scalia (the man you quoted) also agrees the constitution allows for the regulation of firearms.
                              I said
                              Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Even if the 2nd were repealed that does not eliminate the right.
                              How is that changed by the fact that someone else says something different.

It also does not change the fact that the Constitution is not a living document to be reinterpreted as seen fit by activist judges.

How does the fact that Scalia did not entirely agree with my position alter my position in any way?
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                And yet over 100 million people a year manage not to use these ‘hate amplifiers‘ for all that much hate amplification. The only thing I’ve been able to amplify is bragging rights if I can get a higher score at the range than whoever we happen to go with. Are we just using them wrong for this hate amplification to take place?
                                Responding to ff is futile.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment