Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting Las Vegas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    No, it isn't. See my response to Rogue.
    Your argument is that the very government that is infringing on the right is qualified to say that it isn't infringing on our right. I can't wait to see how your respond when that government decides that preachers can't speak out against homosexuality in the church like they did in Canada.

Comment

• To those who want to abolish guns how will you do it? I really want to know because to me it sounds like you would need armed fellows to accomplist such a task.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        To those who want to abolish guns how will you do it? I really want to know because to me it sounds like you would need armed fellows to accomplist such a task.
        They seem to think if you outlaw them, then the problem magically goes away and all the guns go poof. At least that's what you would think listening to the various pundits on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          And why should possessing and using firearms be any different than possessing and using a car?
          Read the Constitution of the United States.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            They seem to think if you outlaw them, then the problem magically goes away and all the guns go poof. At least that's what you would think listening to the various pundits on TV.
            See I have a problem with folks who say they are against guns but want cops and the government to have guns, namely they aren't anti gun they just want gun ownership to be in very specific hands.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              The underlined can be equally, if not more so applied to cars. People in general can often be really, really stupid. Oh, and guns are already regulated more than cars are, and by a rather large margin too.
              Granted on the first point, disputed on the second. But even if I conceded both, how does that make gun control a bad idea?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Your argument is that the very government that is infringing on the right is qualified to say that it isn't infringing on our right. I can't wait to see how your respond when that government decides that preachers can't speak out against homosexuality in the church like they did in Canada.
                Until incorporation, states had EVERY right to regulate guns however they saw fit. The Court, both pre and post incorporation has found that government, now Federal, has the power to regulate fire arms. It has never been otherwise. So while regulation can overstep into infringement, it is not necessarily infringement.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

See I have a problem with folks who say they are against guns but want cops and the government to have guns, namely they aren't anti gun they just want gun ownership to be in very specific hands.
                  I don't see why that should be an issue. Just because one might be anti-gun doesn't mean that they're anti-law enforcement or that they're pacifists or something.

Comment

Granted on the first point, disputed on the second. But even if I conceded both, how does that make gun control a bad idea?
                    Again what do you mean by control? How will you implement it?
                    Personally I would include depression on background checks, increase waiting time, and in general espoused that responsibility is prevalent every time you put your hand on the gun.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've yet to meet a gun owner that thinks felons and mentally ill persons should be able to have guns.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Until incorporation, states had EVERY right to regulate guns however they saw fit. The Court, both pre and post incorporation has found that government, now Federal, has the power to regulate fire arms. It has never been otherwise. So while regulation can overstep into infringement, it is not necessarily infringement.
                        actually they didn't. They were infringing too. It just never was tested in court until recently and decided that it was infringing and the the 2nd took precedence, that was why it was incorporated: to make it official.

Comment

Personally I would include depression on background checks, increase waiting time, and in general espoused that responsibility is prevalent every time you put your hand on the gun.
                          Ask the folks who ran out to buy a firearm to protect their home and family during rioting what they think of waiting periods. Or the woman who was just threatened by a deranged ex.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's BEEN implemented.

I'd like to see mandatory certification on gun handling for the weapon (type/class) purchased and certification on gun safety. I'd actually tweek the civil side - you (general) show that you made every reasonable effort (gun safe, locked doors) to keep your weapon secured when it wasn't on your person or you face liability for any and all damages resulting from its use for up to one year after the theft and not subject to bankruptcy protection. Any harm done while in your possession is also not subject to bankruptcy protection.

You are responsible for the weapon. You are responsible for any ammunition it discharges.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Ask the folks who ran out to buy a firearm to protect their home and family during rioting what they think of waiting periods. Or the woman who was just threatened by a deranged ex.
                              I see rioting and home defense in a different category.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                No training, no prior ownership - yeah, that makes for a great plan. Not.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment