Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What must I do to be Born Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep digging....

You won't have to think back too far for a society that said things were right that were objectively evil. You can't say that.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      You say that living by the book is "static and unwielding [sic]". My retort would be that your approach just suffices to confirm what you approve of; anything new will be accepted only if you approve of it. It's rather arbitrary.
      First, it's "i" before "e" or when sounded like "a" as in neighbor and weigh.

You're pretty sharp their, sailor. You comprehend very well. I can make up my own mind about what is right and wrong. It's what makes us all adults.

NORM
      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
        Keep digging....

You won't have to think back too far for a society that said things were right that were objectively evil. You can't say that.
        Like killing babies in war?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
          Keep digging....

Precisely. You are making my argument for me. Because we use reason and intellect to figure things out as we go along, we can change our behavior for the better.

NORM
          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
            First, it's "i" before "e" or when sounded like "a" as in neighbor and weigh.
            I do believe it's "unwieldy" and not "unwielding"
            Your pretty sharp their, sailor. You comprehend very well. I can make up my own mind about what is right and wrong. It's what makes us all adults.
            Right. So if a society decides that slavery is okay, on what basis do you judge it wrong? Why on earth should your opinion matter ?

Comment

Precisely. You are making my argument for me. Because we use reason and intellect to figure things out as we go along, we can change our behavior for the better.
              Of course, human nature is such that we're going to have a evolution towards a moral utopia.

Comment

Of course, human nature is such that we're going to have a evolution towards a moral utopia.
                Why should we not try?

NORM

Comment

• Shalom: Olam Ha-Ba

NORM

Comment

Why should we not try?
                    The atrocities committed by so many "enlightened" societies, many explicitly attempting a form of utopia, should give us pause.

Comment

The atrocities committed by so many "enlightened" societies, many explicitly attempting a form of utopia, should give us pause.
                      But, the point is that we learned from those mistakes AND CHANGED rather than wait for our deity to tell us it was wrong.

NORM

Comment

But, the point is that we learned from those mistakes AND CHANGED
                        Who is this "we" you're speaking of? Collective humankind?

Comment

I do believe it's "unwieldy" and not "unwielding"

Right. So if a society decides that slavery is okay, on what basis do you judge it wrong? Why on earth should your opinion matter ?
                          Opinion doesn't matter, unless its based upon sound reasoning. Would you like to be a slave? No? Then it is wrong for you. So if it is wrong for you then it can't also be right. Societies that decide it is right then are of the wrong opinion.

Comment

A great example of collective humankind improving is in the area of reproduction. As women gain control of their reproduction, quality of life improves.

http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin...ons_and_babies

The data shows no correlation between religion and reproduction. IOW, no matter what religion a family is, if the mother has access to birth control, she'll use it. The big problem is the poorer regions where conservative Christians have enough of an influence to demonize birth control.

So yeah collective humankind is actually doing okay with respect to lifting the floor of poverty. It should "give you pause" that theists, not atheists, are against that.
                            Last edited by whag; 04-19-2014, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Why do you hate humanity so much? Is this what your god has taught you?

NORM

Comment

Why do you hate humanity so much?

Comment