Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Were early Christians pacifist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were early Christians pacifist?

Well, were they??
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

What do you even mean by that term

Comment

a few were, the claim that they were overwhelmingly so is mostly a lie peddled by pacifists who routinely misrepresent texts to make it look that way.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Depending on what you mean by the term, I'm not 100% convinced that ANY of them were pacifists. But probably the majority of wars are stupid and pointless. Does my saying that make me a pacifist?

Comment

I've often wondered how much the desire for martyrdom among some early Christians has been conflated with pacifism per se.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Largely, not entirely. There's evidence of Christian participation in the Roman army. Every extant church father who weighed in on whether it was permissible for Christians to participate said no, but the number of church fathers who did so was only three. The reasoning given included both idolatry involved in military service and literal interpretations of the Sermon on the Mount.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Largely, not entirely. There's evidence of Christian participation in the Roman army. Every extant church father who weighed in on whether it was permissible for Christians to participate said no, but the number of church fathers who did so was only three. The reasoning given included both idolatry involved in military service and literal interpretations of the Sermon on the Mount.
              There were a fair number of soldier martyrs, from at least as early as the 2nd century through the 4th century (under paganism's last stand under Julian the Apostate).
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                So how is this 'largely'?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                  What do you even mean by that term
                  'Violence is bad', or specific example being Christian soldiers of army of Rome

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                    So how is this 'largely'?
                    Still trying to figure out how three out of many Fathers of church is "largely". Seems more like Fake to me!!

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                      Still trying to figure out how three out of many Fathers of church is "largely". Seems more like Fake to me!!
                      I'm not wasting time responding to you. If anybody who isn't a troll wants to discuss it that's fine.
                      Last edited by KingsGambit; 10-08-2017, 04:49 PM.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Well, I must reach conclusion then!

Claim: early Christians were "largely" pacifistic

Evidence presented: Only one church father said violence is bad

Verdict: Fake Fact

Comment