Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Gifted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gifted

One episode in and I'm hooked -- at least for now.

I like their version of Thunderbird / John Proudstar. I think I like Blink and Polaris. First time I've seen Eclipse / Marcos; like him so far.

Waiting to see how the kids develop. So far they are totally different from the comic book versions (based on what I've found online). Per Wikipedia, they were only introduced relatively shortly before I quit collecting comics in the late '80s, so I don't even remember them.

I liked the few inside jokes I noticed:

-- Marcos uses the X-Men theme song as his ring-tone.

-- Apparently the Mutant Underground sometimes likes to use Tex's Lounge as a relatively safe place to meet with outsiders. On the lighted window sign, the "Te" are dark, so it says, "X's Lounge."

-- In the obligatory cameo, Stan Lee appears walking out of the Lounge.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

I notice that there seems to be a flood of Marvel TV shows this season.

You have Agents of Shield and Legion returning and now they have added the Gifted and Inhumans. The problem is that they are all variations on the same theme: mutants trying to survive in a hostile world.

On Netflix you have: Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and now the Defenders.
    Last edited by Sparko; 10-03-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I notice that there seems to be a flood of Marvel TV shows this season.
      And DC

You have Agents of Shield and Legion returning and now they have added the Gifted and Inhumans.
      Actually, they aren't really sure Agents Of SHIELD is returning. ABC wants it but Disney doesn't. There's a pretty big fight about it going on right now.

The problem is that they are all variations on the same theme: mutants trying to survive in a hostile world.
      There's enough of us comic book nerds to entice...

On Netflix you have: Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Iron Fist, and now the Defenders.
      And the Punisher comes out in 10 days
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I like their version of Thunderbird / John Proudstar. I think I like Blink and Polaris. First time I've seen Eclipse / Marcos; like him so far.

Waiting to see how the kids develop. So far they are totally different from the comic book versions (based on what I've found online). Per Wikipedia, they were only introduced relatively shortly before I quit collecting comics in the late '80s, so I don't even remember them.

-- Apparently the Mutant Underground sometimes likes to use Tex's Lounge as a relatively safe place to meet with outsiders. On the lighted window sign, the "Te" are dark, so it says, "X's Lounge."

I'm watching the pilot today after I get off work. I love On Demand.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          I'm watching the pilot today after I get off work. I love On Demand.
          I have them on my DVR

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And DC

Actually, they aren't really sure Agents Of SHIELD is returning. ABC wants it but Disney doesn't. There's a pretty big fight about it going on right now.

There's enough of us comic book nerds to entice...

And the Punisher comes out in 10 days
            Last I heard was they moved up the return of Agents of Shield because the executives weren't pleased with the Inhumans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was hoping Fox would just let go of the X-Men rights so the "wars" over various Marvel franchises would stop. Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Silver Surfer stuff keeps getting cut from various video games. They were even removed from games that they were already in due to these issues. Marvel Heroes Omega stopped selling a lot of characters. Unless you already bought them, you can't have them in the game anymore. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite has a lot of characters from previous games missing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                I was hoping Fox would just let go of the X-Men rights so the "wars" over various Marvel franchises would stop. ...
                This. I don't care about games. I just don't like the way they have to finagle things. Two separate versions of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Cap's shield made of only vibranium instead of a vibranium-adamantium alloy. Ultron not made of adamantium. That sort of stuff.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

So, I watched it last night. Solid intro, except the Strucker daughter is really annoying and the son's facial expressions look like he is taking a squat...

I also noticed when Eclipse was in the bar, behind him was a rather large painting of a wolverine. That was a nice touch.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So, I watched it last night. Solid intro, except the Strucker daughter is really annoying and the son's facial expressions look like he is taking a squat...

I also noticed when Eclipse was in the bar, behind him was a rather large painting of a wolverine. That was a nice touch.
                    they mentioned that the X-men were gone or left. Where did they go and why?

Comment

they mentioned that the X-men were gone or left. Where did they go and why?
                      It's supposed to be a dystopic future where the mutants were rounded up by the Sentinels, IIRC
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It's supposed to be a dystopic future where the mutants were rounded up by the Sentinels, IIRC
                        isn't that the plot to just about every X-man movie or Marvel TV show that has mutants in it?

Comment

isn't that the plot to just about every X-man movie or Marvel TV show that has mutants in it?
                          No. Just Days of Future Past.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No. Just Days of Future Past.
                            nope. X-men has Magneto wanting to fight against the humans who want to stop the mutants. X2 has Stryker trying to eliminate the mutants and turn humanity against them. X-man last stand has them developing a drug that suppresses mutants

And the Avenger movies where they register the super heroes. It's all variations on the same theme: people are scared of the mutants and want to control or eliminate them.

Comment

nope. X-men has Magneto wanting to fight against the humans who want to stop the mutants. X2 has Stryker trying to eliminate the mutants and turn humanity against them. X-man last stand has them developing a drug that suppresses mutants

X-1 was barely tolerable. X2 is the only decent one of the 3. X-3... let's say it didn't happen... but none were about a post-Sentinel dystopia.

And the Avenger movies where they register the super heroes. It's all variations on the same theme: people are scared of the mutants and want to control or eliminate them.
                              True.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment