Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Gifted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless they take this somewhere else quickly, I don't see it lasting more than one season. They basically lamed everyone's powers, medusa got a haircut, black bolt can't use his, Karnak's power is on the fritz, Gorgon is dead. The only one left is Crystal. What good is a superhero show where nobody can use their superpowers and is basically on the run from a mere human?

Comment

Since we've already drifted off the main topic...

I finally saw "Ant Man" a few days ago.

I have nerd questions:

-- I accept the premise that he retains his full-size human strength when reduced to ant size. They seemed pretty consistent in showing that. What I don't get is the mass issue. Did they ever address that? I recall that over at DC, the Atom (at least in the Silver and early Bronze Ages) had dual hand-controls, one that controlled size, the other mass. So, if he chose, he could have his full 180 pounds concentrated in a tiny speck. Do they ever address that in regard to Ant Man? Just from the visuals, it was totally inconsistent. In one scene, his tiny little self would hit a guy, and it seemed like the guy was feeling the force of a full-size human hit. But even if Scott had his full-size strength, if he only had ant-like mass, a full-size human is barely going to feel it. But then in other scenes, he clearly had tiny mass, because a flying ant could carry him easily.

-- The only Ant-Man story I still recall from the books was [url-https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/movies/as-superheroes-go-ant-man-was-always-a-wimp.html?_r=3]this one[/url], Avengers 93 from 1971. It was the Hank Pym Ant-Man, and he had to repair the Vision from inside. As the article notes, a homage to "Fantastic Voyage." But to me, it was also reminiscent of the "Trip Through the Robot" episode of Lost in Space. Anyone else have thoughts on that?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Since we've already drifted off the main topic...

I finally saw "Ant Man" a few days ago.

I have nerd questions:

-- I accept the premise that he retains his full-size human strength when reduced to ant size. They seemed pretty consistent in showing that. What I don't get is the mass issue. Did they ever address that? I recall that over at DC, the Atom (at least in the Silver and early Bronze Ages) had dual hand-controls, one that controlled size, the other mass. So, if he chose, he could have his full 180 pounds concentrated in a tiny speck. Do they ever address that in regard to Ant Man? Just from the visuals, it was totally inconsistent. In one scene, his tiny little self would hit a guy, and it seemed like the guy was feeling the force of a full-size human hit. But even if Scott had his full-size strength, if he only had ant-like mass, a full-size human is barely going to feel it. But then in other scenes, he clearly had tiny mass, because a flying ant could carry him easily.

-- The only Ant-Man story I still recall from the books was [url-https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/movies/as-superheroes-go-ant-man-was-always-a-wimp.html?_r=3]this one[/url], Avengers 93 from 1971. It was the Hank Pym Ant-Man, and he had to repair the Vision from inside. As the article notes, a homage to "Fantastic Voyage." But to me, it was also reminiscent of the "Trip Through the Robot" episode of Lost in Space. Anyone else have thoughts on that?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Unless they take this somewhere else quickly, I don't see it lasting more than one season.
          I don't think it will make season 2 either.

They basically lamed everyone's powers, medusa got a haircut, black bolt can't use his,
          This stayed.

Karnak's power is on the fritz,
          He got better

Gorgon is dead.
          They Deus ex'ed him back to life, but he's not the same.

The only one left is Crystal. What good is a superhero show where nobody can use their superpowers and is basically on the run from a mere human?
          It's not a good show. Their budget is awful and they spend it on Lockjaw almost exclusively. There is no way in hades this show gets a second season...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I don't think it will make season 2 either.

This stayed.

He got better

They Deus ex'ed him back to life, but he's not the same.

It's not a good show. Their budget is awful and they spend it on Lockjaw almost exclusively. There is no way in hades this show gets a second season...
            Maybe you guys should move to a superhero show with some actual action, and quality, Atomic Puppet. It's a very weird, and very funny cartoon on Disney XD. The first season is over already, but I read it's getting renewed.

Comment

That was great.

The bit at the end about the subatomic shrinking not being possible given the stated explanation of how the Pym Particle works could have been easily fixed with a brief dialogue kludge along the lines of, "There's a threshold where the subatomic particles become so close that there's some sort of feedback that affects the Pym Particles themselves and their behavior changes. We don't know exactly what happens at that point, but... blah blah."

But the mass and density stuff... yeah. Not as easily fixed.

And that part at the end about "Should have stuck with the explanation in the comics" -- Now I'm gonna hafta go back and look THAT up.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

The DC stuff on The CW is really going all in for gaeity. Sheesh.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  The DC stuff on The CW is really going all in for gaeity. Sheesh.
                  Yeah, the first day was dedicated to lesbians and the second to male homosexuals. My Jewish friend was pretty pissed that they completely glossed over the Nazi treatment of the Jews and focused almost exclusively on homosexuals.
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I can't wait till they do a superman series where he is a black transsexual woman.

Comment

Yeah, the first day was dedicated to lesbians and the second to male homosexuals. My Jewish friend was pretty pissed that they completely glossed over the Nazi treatment of the Jews and focused almost exclusively on homosexuals.
                      Yeah Nazi treatment of the Jews just doesn't get enough airtime in media.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I can't wait till they do a superman series where he is a black transsexual woman.
                        I thought it was pretty weird to have a black guy playing the Viking god Heimdal, but whatever.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment