Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Gifted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Then explain how Heisenberg compensators keep the pattern buffers coherent during transport!
    Vague science fiction mumbo jumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Vague science fiction mumbo jumbo.
      ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Then explain how Heisenberg compensators keep the pattern buffers coherent during transport!
        It's a complicated application of Schrodinger Feline Status Monitoring disgronification technology.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          It's a complicated application of Schrodinger Feline Status Monitoring disgronification technology.
          Correct! Using vorpal graviton field emitters of course.

Comment

Well, last night's episode was a blah plot mover. Apparently, Blink can make the hideout look like cheap Halloween movie light shows. Awful execution of her abilities getting out of control. Wasted quite a bit of time at the hospital, and the domestic violence thing was a bit out of place... And the prison scenes were horribly stereotypical, to include the "boss" making cliché comments about who has powers inside the prison...

JamieChungBlinkGifted.jpg
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Well, last night's episode was a blah plot mover. Apparently, Blink can make the hideout look like cheap Halloween movie light shows. Awful execution of her abilities getting out of control. ...
              Yeah, that was weird.

We did learn that *being* a mutant is not illegal. We learned that causing any kind of damage via mutant powers is a Really Big Deal. Seems more likely X-Men are in hiding, as opposed to in custody.

And we learned that Thunderbird is a "tracker" (hyper-senses, exact extent not yet clear), really strong (also presently not specific), and virtually bulletproof (so I wonder why he never stepped in front of the portal to shield the others in case any of the police fired weapons). In the comics when he was first introduced, he was able to run fast enough to chase down a bison; no mention of anything like that so far.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Yeah, that was weird.

We did learn that *being* a mutant is not illegal. We learned that causing any kind of damage via mutant powers is a Really Big Deal. Seems more likely X-Men are in hiding, as opposed to in custody.

And we learned that Thunderbird is a "tracker" (hyper-senses, exact extent not yet clear), really strong (also presently not specific), and virtually bulletproof (so I wonder why he never stepped in front of the portal to shield the others in case any of the police fired weapons). In the comics when he was first introduced, he was able to run fast enough to chase down a bison; no mention of anything like that so far.
                Faster than a speeding bison just doesn't have that wow factor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Faster than a speeding bison just doesn't have that wow factor.
                  Well... Yeah... That's where the visual is better. He chased it down on foot, then physically wrestled it to the ground.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Well, last night's episode was a blah plot mover. Apparently, Blink can make the hideout look like cheap Halloween movie light shows. Awful execution of her abilities getting out of control. Wasted quite a bit of time at the hospital, and the domestic violence thing was a bit out of place... And the prison scenes were horribly stereotypical, to include the "boss" making cliché comments about who has powers inside the prison...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24380[/ATTACH]
                    Seen the first two episodes. Still looks better than what I've seen of the Inhumans

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      ... Still looks better than what I've seen of the Inhumans
                      Well that's depressing. I loved Inhumans stories back in the Silver and Bronze Ages.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

One episode in and I'm hooked -- at least for now.

I like their version of Thunderbird / John Proudstar. I think I like Blink and Polaris. First time I've seen Eclipse / Marcos; like him so far.

Waiting to see how the kids develop. So far they are totally different from the comic book versions (based on what I've found online). Per Wikipedia, they were only introduced relatively shortly before I quit collecting comics in the late '80s, so I don't even remember them.

I liked the few inside jokes I noticed:

-- Marcos uses the X-Men theme song as his ring-tone.

-- Apparently the Mutant Underground sometimes likes to use Tex's Lounge as a relatively safe place to meet with outsiders. On the lighted window sign, the "Te" are dark, so it says, "X's Lounge."

-- In the obligatory cameo, Stan Lee appears walking out of the Lounge.
                        I've only seen the first couple episodes so far, and I like it. I think Legion is better (probably one of the better shows I've seen on TV recently; Totally reminding me of the UK series Utopia), but the thing that really bothers me about these series (not including the complete disregard of the source material) is that, in the real world, most people with any common sense at all would be siding with the government. Disney/Marvel and Fox are very obviously attempting to paint these characters as stand-ins for the LGBTIQ+ Rights movement.

When the concept of Mutants first occurred to Stan Lee and company, Xavier and the X-Men were stand-ins for Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement, and Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants were stand-ins for Malcolm X and The Nation of Islam. That's completely changed with the comics and films today. Today the emphasis is on the idea that you're supposed to feel sympathy for those who are just "born that way", and by that, they don't mean the color of your skin. But the analogy totally doesn't work, because though the LGBTIQ+ movement is harmful in a very spiritual, and pschyo-sociological ways (where the forest is often confused for the trees), mutants in this world are extremely harmful, even accidentally, in very obvious physical ways. In this fictional universe there's very real and obvious damage to property and life on a routine basis, even by those who aren't strictly "evil" mutants. And evil mutants are 10 times worse than your worst extremist fundamentalist Jihadist. They have the capability to destroy entire planets.

I realize that it's all only fiction, but I would LOVE to see a show/movie where it's common people in the Marvel universe who deal with the hell that the mutant gene has made their lives, so that you're no longer just sympathetic with the kid who doesn't know how to control his power, but with the non-mutant community that must deal with the aftermath of both naive and malicious mutants in very personal and frightening ways. A series that tells the audience, "hey, this is hell. Your world is not your own anymore, and you live moment to moment not sure if you'll breath your last breath". I see that there's a New Mutants film coming out that's supposed to be a horror film...for those gifted with mutant powers (it looks lame if you've already seen the previews). How bout a horror film where they're on the receiving end of a Stephen King style mutant apocalypse. Like the nerd who didn't tease Carrie who just happens to be trapped in the gym with her. Basically what I'm asking for is a realistic view of the world as it really would be if mutants existed, not the glorified version we get with Alex Ross' Marvels, but maybe in a terror vision version of Moore's Watchmen. DC attempted to get it right with the existential threat in Batman V Superman with the Bruce Wayne character, but eventually/predictably wimps out.

Furthermore, on a completely different level, as much as I enjoy these films, there's something that's just satanically manipulative about these sorts of shows. Again, these shows are LGBITQ+ propaganda. They're not even that not obvious about it. But, I suppose that's Hollywood in a nutshell. I'll continue to watch them, but I think Christians should watch them with discernment.
                        Last edited by Adrift; 10-28-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Well that's depressing. I loved Inhumans stories back in the Silver and Bronze Ages.
                          Same here. Though, I think we're in the minority in that. I wasn't super into them or anything, didn't know a whole lot about them, but I enjoyed their Silver Age interaction with the Fantastic Four. Apparently they had a lot of interaction with the Avengers, which I wasn't really that familiar with. The Inhumans without the Fantastic Four seems a bit weird, but Disney/Marvel is using them as shorthand for Mutants since they can't get the rights to Mutants back from Fox (or the Fantastic Four for that matter). The show itself is pretty bad, but out of all the bad TV I've watched, it's not the very worst (that's no high praise, though, of course). Apparently the comics have deviated from the original Inhumans mythos as I understand it, and there are now far more Inhumans than those we were familiar with in the royal family. Maybe that's the way it always was, but I remember there only being like...half a dozen Inhumans. Now there are apparently thousands, maybe millions. Weird to see Crystal introduced to humans without falling in love with the Human Torch, but oh well. That's the new Marvel universe for you I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Same here. Though, I think we're in the minority in that. I wasn't super into them or anything, didn't know a whole lot about them, but I enjoyed their Silver Age interaction with the Fantastic Four. Apparently they had a lot of interaction with the Avengers, which I wasn't really that familiar with. The Inhumans without the Fantastic Four seems a bit weird, but Disney/Marvel is using them as shorthand for Mutants since they can't get the rights to Mutants back from Fox (or the Fantastic Four for that matter). The show itself is pretty bad, but out of all the bad TV I've watched, it's not the very worst (that's no high praise, though, of course). Apparently the comics have deviated from the original Inhumans mythos as I understand it, and there are now far more Inhumans than those we were familiar with in the royal family. Maybe that's the way it always was, but I remember there only being like...half a dozen Inhumans. Now there are apparently thousands, maybe millions. Weird to see Crystal introduced to humans without falling in love with the Human Torch, but oh well. That's the new Marvel universe for you I suppose.
                            There were always hundreds, maybe a few thousand. All but the royal family stayed sequestered in Attilan, their home city. The royal family were the most powerful, IIRC because of extra exposure to the mutating terrigen mist.

I have not seen the new series. Is it on regular TV? I've never seen or heard it advertised. I read a little about it. Black Bolt was always the "big gun," and my favorite. Besides the voice that was effectively like Scott's eye-beams but worse, he had Hulk-level strength, Spidey-level speed and agility, the ability to fly, and the ability to harness electrons via an antenna on the forehead of his mask, to fire energy blasts from his hands and to do things like "restructure matter." I get the impression most of that is absent from the live-action version.

The back-story in the comics, IIRC, was that they were part of a Kree genetic experiment ages ago. The Kree were researching solutions to their own genetic stagnation, and also looking for super-cannon-fodder for their perpetual war with the Skrulls.
                            Last edited by NorrinRadd; 10-29-2017, 12:34 PM.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

There were always hundreds, maybe a few thousand. All but the royal family stayed sequestered in Attilan, their home city. The royal family were the most powerful, IIRC because of extra exposure to the mutating terrigen mist.

I have not seen the new series. Is it on regular TV? I've never seen or heard it advertised. I read a little about it. Black Bolt was always the "big gun," and my favorite. Besides the voice that was effectively like Scott's eye-beams but worse, he had Hulk-level strength, Spidey-level speed and agility, the ability to fly, and the ability to harness electrons via an antenna on the forehead of his mask, to fire energy blasts from his hands and to do things like "restructure matter." I get the impression most of that is absent from the live-action version.

The back-story in the comics, IIRC, was that they were part of a Kree genetic experiment ages ago. The Kree were researching solutions to their own genetic stagnation, and also looking for super-cannon-fodder for their perpetual war with the Skrulls.
                              Huh. Didn't know that last bit. Yeah, it's on ABC on Friday nights. Black Bolt only has his voice power in this show, but he's only used it accidentally once, and then only when he was tasered and let slip a small moan. The actor doesn't have much to do but talk in sign language with Medusa who reveals everything he's saying to the rest of the Inhuman royal family. He also doesn't wear his iconic superhero outfit. The rest of the characters have changed in different ways as well. Karnak no longer has a tall forehead, Gorgon is now black, Lockjaw is terrible CGI, and for budget reasons, the whole show takes place in Hawaii, with occasional glimpses of boring looking sets in the royal palace at Attilian on the moon. Most of the Inhumans don't really seem to know how to use their powers very well, and the whole thing sort of looks like what you'd expect from a Marvel series from the 90s moreso than the 2010s. It'll be interesting what they do with the show, especially since they've been hyping Inhumans so much in Agents of SHIELD.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Huh. Didn't know that last bit. Yeah, it's on ABC on Friday nights. Black Bolt only has his voice power in this show, but he's only used it accidentally once, and then only when he was tasered and let slip a small moan. The actor doesn't have much to do but talk in sign language with Medusa who reveals everything he's saying to the rest of the Inhuman royal family. He also doesn't wear his iconic superhero outfit. The rest of the characters have changed in different ways as well. Karnak no longer has a tall forehead, Gorgon is now black, Lockjaw is terrible CGI, and for budget reasons, the whole show takes place in Hawaii, with occasional glimpses of boring looking sets in the royal palace at Attilian on the moon. Most of the Inhumans don't really seem to know how to use their powers very well, and the whole thing sort of looks like what you'd expect from a Marvel series from the 90s moreso than the 2010s. It'll be interesting what they do with the show, especially since they've been hyping Inhumans so much in Agents of SHIELD.
                                How pathetic. I'm glad I haven't seen any of it so far. What a disappointing waste of characters.

In the comics, Attilan was originally on earth, concealed somehow. At some point -- I don't recall when, why, or how -- they relocated it to the "blue region" on the moon, at or near Uatu the Watcher's home.
                                Last edited by NorrinRadd; 10-29-2017, 11:59 PM.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment