Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Gifted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Huh. Didn't know that last bit. Yeah, it's on ABC on Friday nights. Black Bolt only has his voice power in this show, but he's only used it accidentally once, and then only when he was tasered and let slip a small moan. The actor doesn't have much to do but talk in sign language with Medusa who reveals everything he's saying to the rest of the Inhuman royal family. He also doesn't wear his iconic superhero outfit. The rest of the characters have changed in different ways as well. Karnak no longer has a tall forehead, Gorgon is now black, Lockjaw is terrible CGI, and for budget reasons, the whole show takes place in Hawaii, with occasional glimpses of boring looking sets in the royal palace at Attilian on the moon. Most of the Inhumans don't really seem to know how to use their powers very well, and the whole thing sort of looks like what you'd expect from a Marvel series from the 90s moreso than the 2010s. It'll be interesting what they do with the show, especially since they've been hyping Inhumans so much in Agents of SHIELD.
    Medusa was essentially sheared of her powers when Maximus (who has no powers whatsoever) cut off all her hair

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

In the comics, Attilan was originally on earth, concealed somehow. At some point -- I don't recall when, why, or how -- they relocated it to the "blue region" on the moon, at or near Uatu the Watcher's home.
      Medusa mentioned that in last week's episode. Said it was because the humans typically try to kill what they don't understand. Said they moved to the moon a few generations ago.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        There were always hundreds, maybe a few thousand. All but the royal family stayed sequestered in Attilan, their home city. The royal family were the most powerful, IIRC because of extra exposure to the mutating terrigen mist.
        Medusa and Crystal frequently left Attilan. Crystal had a thing with Ice Man for a while IIRC.

I have not seen the new series. Is it on regular TV? I've never seen or heard it advertised.
        They hyped it for a week. That was it. It won't get a second season.

I read a little about it. Black Bolt was always the "big gun," and my favorite. Besides the voice that was effectively like Scott's eye-beams but worse, he had Hulk-level strength, Spidey-level speed and agility, the ability to fly, and the ability to harness electrons via an antenna on the forehead of his mask, to fire energy blasts from his hands and to do things like "restructure matter."
        Here's Marvel's powers section:

Black Bolt has the ability to unleash great destructive power through the use of his voice, but even the slightest whisper will release his power. Therefore, for the most part, he remains silent. This "quasi-sonic" scream is powered by electron energy that he draws in from the environment. At maximum the force is equal to that caused by the detonation of a nuclear weapon. Other possible manifestations of this harnessed electron energy include electron energy blasts, flight, enhanced strength (the "Master Blow" being a superhuman punch), ability to survive in space, and the ability to analyze and manipulate matter. The fork-shaped antenna that Black Bolt has worn upon his brow since childhood enable him to channel his powers in more directed, less destructive ways. Due to the fear of speaking while sleeping, Black Bolt practices a form of meditation, which may also help to enhance his abilities.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Black_Bolt#ixzz4wzeFJA2U

I get the impression most of that is absent from the live-action version.

The back-story in the comics, IIRC, was that they were part of a Kree genetic experiment ages ago. The Kree were researching solutions to their own genetic stagnation, and also looking for super-cannon-fodder for their perpetual war with the Skrulls.
        Agents of SHIELD mentioned this as to why there were inhumans.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I just want someone to explain the physics of expending that much energy and not having to eat 40,000 calories a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            a side note...

This looks interesting:

coming to Netflix.
            ooh nice this i've got to put on my to watch list when it comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Medusa and Crystal frequently left Attilan. Crystal had a thing with Ice Man for a while IIRC.
              Human Torch, then Quicksilver.

It was Lorna / Polaris that Ice Man fancied, but she ended up with Havok (Scott's brother).

The original edition of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe had what must have been a typo, or else Black Bolt was more than 2x as strong as the Hulk. He was listed at the 200-ton press level. No one else back then was over 100.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Medusa was essentially sheared of her powers when Maximus (who has no powers whatsoever) cut off all her hair
                They probably couldn't afford the bad CGI they were using for her hair anyways. Getting rid of it probably made smart financial sense to them (also, it's kind of a lame superpower).

Comment

They probably couldn't afford the bad CGI they were using for her hair anyways. Getting rid of it probably made smart financial sense to them (also, it's kind of a lame superpower).
                  yeah. Lookie, I can change my hairstyle by just thinking about it! Shape of a Beehive!

Comment

I figured it was for special effects reasons because when she did use it before getting the haircut it did look really bad. It made Lockjaw look positively cutting edge.

And I'm disappointed nobody responded to my quip about Medusa having her powers sheared.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I figured it was for special effects reasons because when she did use it before getting the haircut it did look really bad. It made Lockjaw look positively cutting edge.

And I'm disappointed nobody responded to my quip about Medusa having her powers sheared.
                      I mean, it's one of those jokes that are so obvious, and so rogue, you just kind of sigh, and pretend to ignore it. Everyone knows better than to encourage you (Okay, CP doesn't know better, but he's the only one).

Comment

I mean, it's one of those jokes that are so obvious, and so rogue, you just kind of sigh, and pretend to ignore it. Everyone knows better than to encourage you (Okay, CP doesn't know better, but he's the only one).
                        Sighing and pretending to ignore it or better yet groaning and rolling the eyes is exactly the sort of response I am trying to elicit.

I am now content.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          yeah. Lookie, I can change my hairstyle by just thinking about it! Shape of a Beehive!
                          In Ben 10* they had a similar character, but she at least had the sense to have weights tied to the ends of her hair so it would actually inflict some damage to "hair whip" someone.

*The original, not the new Teen Titans Go! level reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            In Ben 10* they had a similar character, but she at least had the sense to have weights tied to the ends of her hair so it would actually inflict some damage to "hair whip" someone.

*The original, not the new Teen Titans Go! level reboot.
                            Wasn't there also a character in the original Power Puff Girls with a similar ability -- and name?

Comment

Sighing and pretending to ignore it or better yet groaning and rolling the eyes is exactly the sort of response I am trying to elicit.

I am now content.

Comment

Wasn't there also a character in the original Power Puff Girls with a similar ability -- and name?

Sedusa.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X