Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Tomb of St. Nicholas found?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb of St. Nicholas found?

Source: Hurriyet Daily

The tomb of Saint Nicholas may have been buried in the southern Turkish province of Antalya all along, Antalya Director of Surveying and Monuments Cemil Karabayram has claimed, after an intact temple has been discovered underneath the Saint Nicholas Church in the Demre district.

Karabayram said a special section was found in the temple during scientific and technological works, with speculations that the tomb may be buried there.

Speaking about the works that have been continuing for nearly three months in the church, Karabayram said: “The temple on the ground of the church is in good condition. We believe that it has received no damage so far. But it is hard to enter it because there are stones with motifs on the ground. These stones should be scaled one by one and then removed.”

Karabayram said there had been many comprehensive works related to the tomb of St. Nicholas. “We studied all of the documents from between 1942 and 1966. There were some notes there. According to these notes, this church was demolished and rebuilt. During the reconstruction, traders in Bari took the bones. But it is said that these bones did not belong to St. Nicholas but to another priest. One of those to have said this was Professor Yıldız Ötüken, an academic of Hacettepe University’s history of art department. She says that St Nicholas is kept in a special section,” he added.
    Ötüken headed the archaeological excavations project in Demre for 20 years.

© Copyright Original Source

source

It's the logical place for his tomb (despite HuffPo's article calling it "secret" ). It will be interesting to see what they find. What is believed to be his relics is still in Bari, Italy. It would be nice to have firmer support for the theory that a different body was taken than the assertions of an art history professor.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Where are Indiana Jones and the gang from National Treasure when you need them?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Santa is dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Santa is dead?
        Obviously fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          Obviously fake news.
          whew!

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            Obviously fake news.
            Just like the account of him punching Arius in the face during the Council of Trent. No Christmas presents for him.
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
              Just like the account of him punching Arius in the face during the Council of Trent. No Christmas presents for him.
              That would be difficult to do, since both had been dead and buried for 1200 years.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                That would be difficult to do, since both had been dead and buried for 1200 years.
                Nobody said it would have been easy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Where are Indiana Jones and the gang from National Treasure when you need them?
                  Side tracked by a couple Librarians and agents working in a secret warehouse obviously.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Dead!? Then who is that coming into my house and leaving all those gifts every Christmas? I even saw him last winter at the mall! Don't tell me he's dead.
                    When I Survey....

Comment