Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God Commanding People to Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Commanding People to Kill

I was talking with one of my non-Christian friends and he asked me these questions and I would like to know how you would answer them.

God commanded the Israelites to make war against and kill the Canaanites. Suppose that God speaks to people today. If God were to tell you to kill someone or group of people in order to execute judgment for their sin, would you do it?

When God commanded the Israelites to kill the Canaanites, was He commanding them to commit murder?

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
    I was talking with one of my non-Christian friends and he asked me these questions and I would like to know how you would answer them.

God commanded the Israelites to make war against and kill the Canaanites. Suppose that God speaks to people today. If God were to tell you to kill someone or group of people in order to execute judgment for their sin, would you do it?
    dukenukem.jpg

When God commanded the Israelites to kill the Canaanites, was He commanding them to commit murder?
    No.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

God would not do that today. [My view is that of what is called cessationism. Though I am a partial cessationist, I hold two gifts of the Spirit God gave to His church where made perfect being replaced by the close of the written word of God (1 Corinthians 13:8-10; James 1:17, 25; Psalm 19:7-11) , the Revelation of Jesus Christ, that no prophecy can be added to the hearing of that prophecy called the Revelation (Revelation 22:18).]

No.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Yes, and does God have the right to require the life of anyone?

He said, “Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you.” So Abraham rose early in the morning... (Ge 22:2–3)

No, there are several words for kill in Hebrew, one means to kill, and another is to murder.

"Thus he did to them, and delivered them from the hands of the sons of Israel, and they did not kill them." (Jos 9:26)

The word used here is the word "to kill" (harag), in Ex. 20:13 the command is "do not murder" (ratzach).

Blessings,
        Lee
        "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
          Yes, and does God have the right to require the life of anyone?

He said, “Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you.” So Abraham rose early in the morning... (Ge 22:2–3)

No, there are several words for kill in Hebrew, one means to kill, and another is to murder.

"Thus he did to them, and delivered them from the hands of the sons of Israel, and they did not kill them." (Jos 9:26)

The word used here is the word "to kill" (harag), in Ex. 20:13 the command is "do not murder" (ratzach).

Blessings,
          Lee
          The Israelites were murdering people because they were executing God's judgment. Is that correct?

Comment

The Israelites were murdering people because they were executing God's judgment. Is that correct?
            No, they did not murder.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              No, they did not murder.
              And God's command to His Nation should not be confused with one individual thinking he was instructed by God to murder another person.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                And God's command to His Nation should not be confused with one individual thinking he was instructed by God to murder another person.
                *SQUEE*

Missed you brother.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's been too long since you last showed up here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

It's been too long since you last showed up here.
                    I heard this thread was about me!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

If I agree will you stick around?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No, I would rebuke that lying demonic entity that pretended to speak for my Father.

No.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I would ask not to have problem of ruling over people. "Make someone else king, like Darth!!!"

If God commands, how can it be wrong?
                            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              No, I would rebuke that lying demonic entity that pretended to speak for my Father.
                              That wasn't the scenario.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X