Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What do those Nobel people know anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    There three nothings in your link:
    True, so what? The second one describes the Quantum nothing from which our universes forms and all possible universes that both Vilenkin and Krauss agree on.

Second is nothing, without even space and time. Following a similar quantum logic, theorists have proposed that whole universes, little bubbles of space-time, could pop into existence, like bubbles in boiling water, out of this nothing.

The third is a hypothetical nothing that the physicists and cosmologists do not address concerning the nature and origin of universes and multiverses.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-13-2017, 06:38 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      Right - i'm trying to use analogies, and they will not be perfect.

And the imperfection here is in part that there is never really any area of space that's empty of things to be governed. Virtual particles pop in and out of existence all the time, so the fields constantly have something to govern.
      This sounds better. In the Quantum nothing there is something for the laws of nature to act on.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-13-2017, 06:41 PM.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

If nothing is something then nothing is not nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          If nothing is something then nothing is not nothing.
          In Quantum Mechanics this is true.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Wrong. You yourself have described what nothing is in Quantum Mechanics.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

If there is any kind of energy, whether positive or negative, then it is not nothing. It is something.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If there is any kind of energy, whether positive or negative, then it is not nothing. It is something.
                maybe it's only mostly nothing.

mostly-dead.jpg

Comment

maybe it's only mostly nothing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24507[/ATTACH]
                  He didn't say that through the door.

/roy
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    He didn't say that through the door.

/roy

Comment

That is what Krauss and Velinkin state is that the Quantum nothing is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wng6c0oLkQE

Source: http://inference-review.com/article/the-beginning-of-the-universe

The Beginning of the Universe by Alexander Vilenkin

Quantum creation is similar to quantum tunneling through energy barriers in quantum mechanics. An elegant mathematical description of this process can be given in terms of a Wick rotation. Time is expressed using imaginary numbers, introduced only for computational convenience. The distinction between the dimensions of time and space disappears. This description is very useful, since it provides a convenient way to determine tunneling probabilities. The most probable universes are the ones with the smallest initial size and the highest vacuum energy. Once a universe is formed, it immediately starts expanding due to the high energy of the vacuum.

This provides a beginning for the story of eternal inflation.

One might imagine that closed universes are popping out of nothing like bubbles in a glass of champagne, but this analogy would not be quite accurate. Bubbles pop out in liquid, but in the case of universes, there is no space out of which they might pop. A nucleated closed universe is all the space there is, aside from the disconnected spaces of other closed universes. Beyond it, there is no space, and no time.

What causes the universe to pop out of nothing? No cause is needed. If you have a radioactive atom, it will decay, and quantum mechanics gives the decay probability in a given interval of time, say, a minute. There is no reason why the atom decayed at this particular moment and not another. The process is completely random. No cause is needed for the quantum creation of the universe.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-19-2017, 04:39 PM.

Frank

Comment

That is what Krauss and Velinkin state is that the Quantum nothing is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wng6c0oLkQE

Source: http://inference-review.com/article/the-beginning-of-the-universe

The Beginning of the Universe by Alexander Vilenkin

Quantum creation is similar to quantum tunneling through energy barriers in quantum mechanics. An elegant mathematical description of this process can be given in terms of a Wick rotation. Time is expressed using imaginary numbers, introduced only for computational convenience. The distinction between the dimensions of time and space disappears. This description is very useful, since it provides a convenient way to determine tunneling probabilities. The most probable universes are the ones with the smallest initial size and the highest vacuum energy. Once a universe is formed, it immediately starts expanding due to the high energy of the vacuum.

This provides a beginning for the story of eternal inflation.

One might imagine that closed universes are popping out of nothing like bubbles in a glass of champagne, but this analogy would not be quite accurate. Bubbles pop out in liquid, but in the case of universes, there is no space out of which they might pop. A nucleated closed universe is all the space there is, aside from the disconnected spaces of other closed universes. Beyond it, there is no space, and no time.

What causes the universe to pop out of nothing? No cause is needed. If you have a radioactive atom, it will decay, and quantum mechanics gives the decay probability in a given interval of time, say, a minute. There is no reason why the atom decayed at this particular moment and not another. The process is completely random. No cause is needed for the quantum creation of the universe.

© Copyright Original Source

22448091_1545823968794721_1670353787062664569_n.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24525[/ATTACH]
                          My post did not address the issue of whether God exists or not, or how God Created. It simply addressed how Vilenkin and Krauss proposed the nature of Quantum nothing is indeed Something, and the articles go into further detail as to the science behind this.

Moving the goal posts and not responded does not help the dialogue.

Frank

Comment

My post did not address the issue of whether God exists or not, or how God Created. It simply addressed how Vilenkin and Krauss proposed the nature of Quantum nothing is indeed Something, and the articles go into further detail as to the science behind this.

Moving the goal posts and not responded does not help the dialogue.
                            you seriously can't be that clueless.

Comment

you seriously can't be that clueless.
                              you seriously can't be that clueless. This science as it is.

Frank

Comment

you seriously can't be that clueless. This science as it is.
                                It's not science Shunya, it's voodoo. You have to have repeatable experiments and testable hypotheses to have science. This is just magic dressed up as science. Thus my cartoon.

Comment