Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Perish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perish

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." (John 10:27-28)

Luke 13:3 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as well!

Thessalonians 2:10 and with every unrighteous deception among those who are perishing. They perish because they did not accept the love of the truth in order to be saved.

I am having a discussion with some Christians in my Bible study class who say that Perish/perishing could mean:

" disconnectedness from God while we are alive here on earth and how sad and lonely that can be."

or,

"If my heart is empty and dead… Then I need God to live fully in my heart and I have a new heart"

What do you guys think "perish/perishing" means in context?

I put this in Biblical Languages because I thought maybe the Greek would say what perish means.

Thanks.

ἀπόλλυμι means "be destroyed". The angel of the bottomless pit (Rev. 9:11) is named Apollyon, "the destroyer".

"Death" is θάνατος.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      ἀπόλλυμι means "be destroyed". The angel of the bottomless pit (Rev. 9:11) is named Apollyon, "the destroyer".

"Death" is θάνατος.
      Thank you.

Comment

Just looking at the uses of "perish" in various texts it seem to point to something being destroyed.
        One can act in such a way so as to destroy one relationship with God by not doing as he says. (it perishes.)
        But in the long run it seems to point out that all faithful humans will live forever and faithless be destroyed or "perish" forever.
        BU

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X